IE issues, Windows Updates and Norton RRS feed

• Question

• Collegues in the Digital Domain :

Day One: Client shows me a Dell 4400 computer thats been infected with viruses and malware for over two months.  Client is running on a dial-up service.  Client also had Norton Anti-Virus which expired; tried to download upgrade - was successful, but unable to open. Could  not go to certain  sites  online either; was informed this problem was due to  Yahoo  Toolbar update not  being installed.  Total time: +5  hours

Day Two:  Client started and completed  download of Yahoo toolbar but  could not  get  Norton  to open;  Belarc Advisor was  ran  and  showed  11 Critical  or important  updates that must be added to SP 1.  Five were added and now the following problems exists:

1 Cannot logon past Welcome screen.  Windows will open up to the welcome screen , where one can sign in , accepts the  password, then flashes the desktop and logsoff to take you back to the welcome screen. It does this in safe mode as well.
    2..Cannot use the origional repair/recovery CD to put Windows back to its former state-(Client has info that they want to keep)
    Total time:+3 hours

I am sure one of the updates changed the registry I was jus wondring if there is a hotfix that could be ran from the DOS enviroment to correct the problem.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006 6:48 PM

Answers

• Darkshark1,

Use an offline operating system (such as Bart PE, very handy) to access the contents of the HDD and copy the contents onto removabe media.

After that is done, do a clean installation of XP using customer's Dell OS Reinstallation CD and customer-provided CDs for their installed programs.

Wednesday, November 1, 2006 2:13 PM

All replies

• Your problem is not related to WGA.  Please repost your inquiry in the proper newsgroup for assistance: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

Tuesday, October 31, 2006 11:07 PM
  • Darkshark1,

Use an offline operating system (such as Bart PE, very handy) to access the contents of the HDD and copy the contents onto removabe media.

After that is done, do a clean installation of XP using customer's Dell OS Reinstallation CD and customer-provided CDs for their installed programs.

Wednesday, November 1, 2006 2:13 PM
  • Eish, I see this is a very old thread.  Nevermind, FYI...

I've seen this sort of thing where an XP installation has been file-copied from one HD to another, and when there are significant breakages that kick in before the OS can boot.  I'd do this:

- verify the PC's hardware; capacitors, fans, MemTest86, HD Tune from Bart etc.

- build a Bart PE boot CDR with the RunScanner plugin wrapping, say, Regedit

- attempt to run Regedit via RunScanner, select all hives

- if this errors, select individual hives

- if all of there error, suspect system hives

- harvest and swap in hive backups from C:\SVI\..\RP*

- if in re-directed Regedit OK, tshoot SafeBoot, services, Winlogon, usual malware haunts

On harvesting registry hives, see:

http://cquirke.blogspot.com/2006/10/bart-vs-badpoolcaller.html

On repairing SafeBoot, see...

http://cquirke.blogspot.com/2006/07/repairing-safe-mode-safeboot.html

...which also walks through the hive-harvesting business.

Saturday, July 14, 2007 1:24 PM