Is this legal or not? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I was looking to buy Vista Home Premium 32 bit for a new PC I had built. As I had spent over my budget on the PC, I looked on Google Shopping to find the cheapest Vista I could. Ignoring all the obvious fakes, the cheapest version I could find was about 99% of the standard retail price. It was on an auction site, where the seller claims to have spare Vistas from building PC's. What concerned me was this message I received:

"hi, note that this listing doesnt come with COA, is that ok with you? It does has a real product key that is not used on any computer. Also at the moment I only have one original disc which i plan to reserve for my other vista listing, so do you mind getting a copy?If you dont mind, I can offer £4 discount"

Also on the auction, the condition is listed as 'Used'

When I read it, alarm bells started to ring. Am I right to be concerned.
    Monday, October 13, 2008 4:24 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Do not purchase software which does not come with a COA. Please visit http://www.howtotell.com for more detailed information.

Take care,

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager
    Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Monday, October 13, 2008 6:55 PM
    Monday, October 13, 2008 6:54 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Do not purchase software which does not come with a COA. Please visit http://www.howtotell.com for more detailed information.

Take care,

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager
    Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Monday, October 13, 2008 6:55 PM
    Monday, October 13, 2008 6:54 PM
  •  Can you explain regarding how the certificate of authenticity works with a digital download from MS. Am I sent a physical one in the post or does it not apply to digital downloads obtained directly online from windows marketplace?

Thanks

Imran
    • Edited by imssheikh Tuesday, October 21, 2008 8:18 PM
    Tuesday, October 21, 2008 8:17 PM