Could I got some problems if I import, delete and import again data in custom entity?!? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone, I just wanna know if I import data in a custom entity, via DMM, then I delete all the data previouslly imported and import the same data, updated, again I could have some problems (broken links, lost relationship or other)??
    I try to explain better my problem: I've created a custom entity that contain data about contracts of our customers (i know that there is just one 'contract' entity but I've built a custom one cause for our need it's more simple got an entity without too many connections with others entities). These data, for the crm users, is set read-only and used to create marketing-list. The entity has one lookup filed to connects each record to one 'contact' record (not using 'full-name' cause i must use DMM otherwise the import wizard can not resolve the link between contact and custom entity).
    The problem appears when I should import new data, the company send me csv file once a month and it contains tha data that i've previouslly imported plus the new one (for some reason they can not send me the delta with only new data). If i use the import wizard it's a total fail cause it's not able to resolve the lookup connection, otherwise if i use the DMM it can perfectlly resolve the lookup filed but can not performs duplicate check at import stage.
    Another solution could be a 3rd party software, like Scribe or c360, to add logic at the import stage using logic statement, but these solution are very expensive (if someone know cheaper solution, please, let me know!!!).
    At the end, my "homemade" solution is:
        1.    import the data in the custom entity using DMM tool.
        2.    before the next import i will delete all the date using DMM.
        3.    import the updated data (hoping to have no problems....)
    This solution seems to have no problems at first sight, cause the custom entity is set read only and use just to information and to generate marketing list, no notes, appointments and so on are referred to custom entity records.
There are some problem, that i havn't considered, in this scenario?!?!

Thanks for any suggestions!

FABIO

Acco
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 3:56 PM

Answers

• Hi Fabio, if you are working with a small number of records (<10,000) you could export all your existing records from CRM and combine them with the monthly spreadsheet you receive. Using Excel 2007 or 2010, you can remove duplicates. This would leave you with your delta of new records to import into CRM.

If you are working with more than 10,000 records, then an investment in a third-party data migration tool is worthwhile. There are lots available: some free, some cheap and others are enterprise-class with enterprise prices to match.

If all of these solutions look like they are too expensive, then you might need to consider how expensive it is to live with dirty data ; )

Regards,

Neil

Neil Benson, CRM Addict at Customery Ltd.You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter, and you're welcome to sign up to Customery, an online community for UK-based Dynamics CRM people.

• Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Thursday, May 6, 2010 4:22 PM
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 4:03 PM

All replies

• Hi Fabio, if you are working with a small number of records (<10,000) you could export all your existing records from CRM and combine them with the monthly spreadsheet you receive. Using Excel 2007 or 2010, you can remove duplicates. This would leave you with your delta of new records to import into CRM.

If you are working with more than 10,000 records, then an investment in a third-party data migration tool is worthwhile. There are lots available: some free, some cheap and others are enterprise-class with enterprise prices to match.

If all of these solutions look like they are too expensive, then you might need to consider how expensive it is to live with dirty data ; )

Regards,

Neil

Neil Benson, CRM Addict at Customery Ltd.You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter, and you're welcome to sign up to Customery, an online community for UK-based Dynamics CRM people.

• Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Thursday, May 6, 2010 4:22 PM
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 4:03 PM
  • Hi Neil, thanks for your reply. The amount of data that i've to "move" is about 70.000 so, i think, the excel way could be a problem, or not? Anyway this solution it's possible using the bulk update tool from codeplex or simplly export each month, all records, compare them in excel and then import via DMM just the new one?!?

On the other hand could you tell me the nema, i need just them, of 3rd party tool free or not too expensive cause i've look for them for days finding always the same name (c360, scribe, pervasive, crminnovation) maybe i've used the wrong keys in the search engine!

Considering that c360 import manager and scribe are expensive for me!....

Tank you very much!!!

Acco
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 4:32 PM