Windows Vista - Validation Service Cannot Run in Safe Mode RRS feed

• Question

• I recently encountered a freeze on my desktop after installing a game (Sims2) -- to recover from the freeze I had to cold boot the desktop.  After cold-boot, the system encountered another problem (blue screen), and did an auto warm boot.  The system continued to do this a second time, at which point I opted for 'Safe Mode with Networking'.  Once the machine booted to the desktop, Vista did its usual self-check-following-a-crash and informed me that Vista was the cause of the crash, and that Microsoft Update has a solution.

Here's where the problem came into play - in order to get the update, I needed to first run the Windows Genuine Advantage routine.  The "client-side" service that runs on my machine to report a genuine copy, however, cannot be run in safe mode -- this makes the server-side service think that I'm not runing a genuine copy, and denies me updates.

Is there a workaround for this problem?  Some way to run the WGA service in safe mode, so that updates can be installed post-crash?  Fortunately for me, I was finally able to restart in normal mode following my safe mode boot, so I was then able to get the WGA service up & running, and get updates... but if I hadn't been able to boot in normal mode I'd probably be watching the Windows Vista Installer screens right about now. Sad

Appreciate any advice!
    Saturday, October 13, 2007 4:45 PM

Answers

• Hi H4 Donkey Boy,

So the core issue is resolved?

As to your question on what workaround I would have suggested, there is no workaround that I am aware of. I would have suggested contacting Vista support thru support.microsoft.com as they would have helped you obtain the update that would solve your issue.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 12:01 AM