Network Devices Not Discovered RRS feed

• Question

• I posted this in the software section and got zero response, so I thought I would try it here -

I've been testing primarily the backup function in WHS.  It seems to work very well - I've had no problems getting the backups to run, and restoring individual files.  I have hit a bit of a roadblock in testing the full client restore.

I set up a PC just for testing - it's a vanilla Dell that's a couple of years old.  It has a 3com-compatible onboard NIC.  Seems about as mainstream as it can get.  When I boot from the Restore CD, it doesn't detect any network devices.  I looked at the help file, and found the part about how to copy the drivers needed for restore from the backup, using another pc and a flash drive.  This seems like a great idea, but I've been unable to get it to work.  Even after copying the drivers to the flash drive, I still don't get any network devices detected.

I also tried a full re-install of Windows XP, using a Microsoft USB NIC (MN-110).  Same result.

Any ideas on what I'm missing here?

DE

Friday, May 18, 2007 12:27 PM

Answers

• DE, when you boot the restore CD, you will get to a screen where it lists detected network and mass storage devices. At that point, there's a button labeled Details... which you can click to get to a screen which will let you tell the CD to load additional drivers.

See this forum thread for a little more detail.

Or are you saying you can't get the drivers to load even if you install a brand new OS? That would be a different problem, not related to WHS, and more likely indicative of a bad driver download or a hardware problem.
    Friday, May 18, 2007 7:25 PM
  • Alright, let's see if I can make sense of this issue and give a more complete description of the steps I went through.

After booting from the WHS Restore CD, the Detect Hardware screen is displayed.  On this particular PC, it shows 0 Network Devices and 5 Storage Devices.  There is a Show Details button and a Continue button.

Clicking on the Show Details button gives the option to Install Drivers.  Selecting that option prompts you to "Insert a USB flash drive or floppy that has drivers for your hardware and click Scan."  I copied my NIC drivers to a flash drive.

Initially when I clicked Scan it still would not show any network devices.  I tried several different driver versions, etc.  Eventually I tried copying the driver files to the root of the flash drive, not buried in a sub-directory.  That is when the NIC was finally detected.  So apparently the Scan function does not read through the sub-directories?

Once the NIC was detected the rest of the restore process worked fine.  Hopefully this will save someone else from the same aggravation.

DE

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 1:55 PM

All replies

• DE, when you boot the restore CD, you will get to a screen where it lists detected network and mass storage devices. At that point, there's a button labeled Details... which you can click to get to a screen which will let you tell the CD to load additional drivers.

See this forum thread for a little more detail.

Or are you saying you can't get the drivers to load even if you install a brand new OS? That would be a different problem, not related to WHS, and more likely indicative of a bad driver download or a hardware problem.
    Friday, May 18, 2007 7:25 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Ken.

I got to the screen that lists the detected network and mass storage devices.  It shows all my drives under mass storage, but nothing under network devices.

I read the WHS help file for this screen, and found the instructions for copying the drivers to a flash drive from another PC.  This is a cool feature, but I still did not see anything under network devices.

It seems the problem isn't lack of drivers, but the fact that the device isn't even detected at all by the WHS restore process.

They load fine when I install XP on the machine.

Thanks again,

DE

Friday, May 18, 2007 7:59 PM
  • Don't you have a Details... button on that screen? That's where you would install additional network drivers. I know this works, because I did it a couple of weeks ago for a laptop that required me to load a network driver.
    Friday, May 18, 2007 9:01 PM
  • OK, I tried on another machine, and initially it did the same thing.  But now I've gotten it to work.  I will follow up with a full explanation once I've done some more testing.

Thanks,

DE

Tuesday, May 22, 2007 1:59 PM
  • Alright, let's see if I can make sense of this issue and give a more complete description of the steps I went through.

After booting from the WHS Restore CD, the Detect Hardware screen is displayed.  On this particular PC, it shows 0 Network Devices and 5 Storage Devices.  There is a Show Details button and a Continue button.

Clicking on the Show Details button gives the option to Install Drivers.  Selecting that option prompts you to "Insert a USB flash drive or floppy that has drivers for your hardware and click Scan."  I copied my NIC drivers to a flash drive.

Initially when I clicked Scan it still would not show any network devices.  I tried several different driver versions, etc.  Eventually I tried copying the driver files to the root of the flash drive, not buried in a sub-directory.  That is when the NIC was finally detected.  So apparently the Scan function does not read through the sub-directories?

Once the NIC was detected the rest of the restore process worked fine.  Hopefully this will save someone else from the same aggravation.

DE

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 1:55 PM
  • DE, all I can say is that I tossed my drivers onto a flash drive full of other ***, in a folder called laptop, and they were found just fine.
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 1:39 AM
  • it's a bug that's apparently been fixed in subsequent builds. I had the same problem with my old Compaq Armada laptop. here are two connect bugs with similar characteristics

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=277845

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=277796

Thursday, May 24, 2007 2:48 AM
  • Thanks guys.  It's really not a huge deal - I just wanted to get it documented.

Maybe in the retail version, instead of having just a Scan button there should be a Browse dialog like most Windows driver installs.

DE

Thursday, May 24, 2007 12:22 PM