Repair SYS hard drive...over and over and over RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi, a number of WHS users are getting the sick sys drive message weekly/fortnightly since it was released. 

It's really annoying that rebooting instead of repairing removes the message for a couple of days and a repair keeps it at bay for a week or two at most (usually a week).

Recently my SYS repair just doesn't work.  It's been going for around 14 hours so far (since last night) and it looks like it's never going to finish.  I eventually get sick of waiting and just reboot - I log in on another PC console and the repair mysteriously vanishes...so I can then access the reboot option (I don't crash WHS to get it to restart).

I've got 3.5 TB (1TB free) over 7 Seagate and WD drives (3 PATA and 4 SATA) and everything has been rolling along well appart from this.

No add-ins and only PerfectDisk and Avast.

No nasty crashes as I'm running on a UPS and the Disk drivers are all Microsoft generic PATA/SATA. 

No external SATA PCI cards and the like so a very standard build to make everything as reliable as possible.

I've read that PP1 may help this error though I have no idea of what is causing it...neither does anyone else seem to know much in the forums.

The SYS drive is pretty much the only drive that does this (there has been two quick repairs on other drives in the 8 months I've had WHS and they have taken about 10 min to repair).  The system drive is the original WD500GBAAKB PATA drive (master) and runs cool and quiet (11 fans means plenty of airflow - yes it is very very quiet as I use slow fans).

Has anyone got any new info?

Thanks,

Cat

Thursday, July 10, 2008 5:10 AM

Answers

• I solved my problem with having to do a "Reset" using the WHS Reinstallation Procedure. My Backups were left intact during this procedure :-)

This still took a while as I had to do all the updates for WHS, IE, add-ons, etc.

Just going in and invoking Discovery.exe worked instead of having to put the Connector software in each of my network PC's again.

Saturday, August 9, 2008 8:12 PM

All replies

• It's supposed to be fixed in Powerpack 1 which is currently in beta. Please read statement of T.Headrick on this page

Thursday, July 10, 2008 10:16 AM
  • Hmm I hope so though it seems that others who have installed PP1 and have this problem, some still seem to be getting the error...will find out soon I guess.  As my server is live and I don't have a spare couple of TB lying round, I won't be doing the beta.  But I definately want to get PP1 intalled asap to see if it solves it.

Friday, July 11, 2008 3:53 AM
  • How much system memory do you have? I found this message stopped appearing when I upgraded from 512 mb to 2 gig.
    Friday, July 11, 2008 4:40 AM
  • Yeah I have 2 gig (upgraded from 1 gig) - no difference.  I doubt there is PATA/SATA driver compatibility issues otherwise I would get errors on the other 6 disks.  Also as it's been saying it's failing for about 8 months, I would 'guess' the drive would have packed it in by now if it really was playing up...but there are no clicks or other drive noises and Check Disk comes up with nothing when I manually run it. 

I am thinking it's a WHS error...I just hope it gets sorted with the PP1 release as it's really annoying and if I just ignored it, I would risk ignoring 'real' drive problems if they occurred...plus it makes the WHS icon red so you never know if other problems are also cropping up.

Saturday, July 12, 2008 2:38 PM
  • Hi,

I've seen the 'policy' message when I forgotten to use the Administrator log in and just using my Client credentials.

Colin

Friday, August 8, 2008 5:15 PM
  •  

Actually Colin I always use Administrator mode...that's not working anymore. I also can't log in remotely from my wireless laptop any more. They are all security type messages. If I put in just anything for a password I get a message that it's the wrong password. So, it knows I put the right password in the first time but I don't have access anymore.

Discovery doesn't work either. I have two other computers on my home network, and they all do this. Removing my cable modem connection and re-booting my router doesn't help either.

I'm still troubleshooting. Hopefully I won't have to do a WHS Reset or re-install the Software !

Thanks for your help. Anyone's advice appreciated.

Saturday, August 9, 2008 3:12 AM
  • I solved my problem with having to do a "Reset" using the WHS Reinstallation Procedure. My Backups were left intact during this procedure :-)

This still took a while as I had to do all the updates for WHS, IE, add-ons, etc.

Just going in and invoking Discovery.exe worked instead of having to put the Connector software in each of my network PC's again.

Saturday, August 9, 2008 8:12 PM
  • Hi,

Glad you got it working!

Sorry didn't get back before, but SWMBO decided that I was needed.

Good luck,

Colin

Saturday, August 9, 2008 8:31 PM