for Darrin Smith - reposting my problem regarding daughter's Vista laptop RRS feed

• Question

• We only just got het Internet connection live again.

When she tried to follow your instructions it failed.

However, talking to her today, I realised that it failed early on in the process - while she got a command prompt, the service wouldn't stop.

Then I remembered she has Firefox as her default browser, and that's what Vista pops up when she logs in with limited functionality.  Firefox doesn't offer "right click and run as administrator".

I talked her through using Firefox to find and run Internet Explorer.

However, when she tried to run command.exe (not CMD.exe) she gets "not enough quota is available to process this command"

I got her to close Firefox first, but still no joy.

Any ideas?

Friday, November 13, 2009 1:44 PM

Answers

• Hi, Darin!

Finally fixed!  Eventually managed to persuade safe mode to start properly, and used system restore to go back to pre-problem.  Interestingly, there had been several updates just before things got screwed up.

It's working fine for now - fingers crossed!  Thanks a lot for your help.
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, November 23, 2009 8:18 PM
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 6:27 PM

All replies

• Hello frogbaiter,

Sorry I didn't give steps for when using Firefox. The steps are slightly different.

1) Open an Internet Browser

2) Type file:%windir%\system32 into the browser address bar. This command will launch Windows Explorer (the file navigation software, not the browser) and will display the contents of the 'system32' folder.

3) Find the file CMD.exe (must be the 'CMD.exe' file, not 'command.exe')

4) Right-Click on CMD.exe and select 'Run as Administrator' <- very importent

5) Type: net stop slsvc  (it may ask you if you are sure, select yes)

6) Type: cd %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareLicensing

7) Type: rename tokens.dat tokens.bar
    This is the main point of the steps. By renaming this file, you are (as for as Windows is can tell) deleteing it. Since this file is where importent licensing information is stored, Windows receates the file at the next reboot. Once the file is recreated, it needs to re-fill the file with the Licensing information. That is why it will ask for the Product key to be Entered and Activated in step 12

Note: We rename it (instead of actually deleting it) just in case we need that file again in the future. It's extremly unlikely we will need that file again, but it's an old habit I have when dealing with system files. Plus it doesn't hurt anything (or take up much room) to keep it around anyways. 

8) Type:
    cd %windir%\system32

9) Type net start slsvc

10) Type: cscript slmgr.vbs -rilc (It may take a long time for this to complete, please be patient)

11) Reboot Twice

12) You will likely be asked to enter a Product Key. Use th one found on the sticker on the side or bottom of the computer.

As for the "Not Enough Quota..." error, it is not strickly a Non-Genuine related error. It appears to be related to a mis-allocation of system memory (RAM) which is possibly being caused by the same thing that is causing the Non-Genuine issue.  Most users that receive this error have mentioned that the workaround is to reboot till it no longer gives the error.

below are some other steps that may be helpful:

First try repairing Windows using System Restore:

1)    Reboot Vista into Safe Mode

2)    Click the ‘Start’ button

3)    In the Start Search field, type: System Restore and hit “Enter” keyboard key

4)    Select "Choose Different Restore Point", Put a check in the box that says "Show restore points older than 5 days", select the restore point that corresponds to the date Before you first noticed the issue.

5)    Click the "Next" button.

6)    Reboot back into Normal mode

7)    Vista should no longer be in Reduced Functionality mode

If that doesn't work, we'll try doing a System Scan. The scan will look for bad Vista files and will attempt to repair them, if possible.

1)    Login to Vista in Normal Mode (not safe mode)

2)    Launch an Internet Browser

3)    Type: file:%windir%\system32\ in the browser's address field

4)    Scroll down till you find the file cmd.exe

5)    Right-click the file and select 'Run as Administrator'

6)    In the CMD window, type: sfc /scannow

7)    Reboot twice and see if that resolves the issue.

Thanks,
    darin MS

• Proposed as answer by Darin Smith MS Friday, November 13, 2009 7:52 PM
    Friday, November 13, 2009 7:51 PM
  • Thanks, Darrin, we're trying this now.

In Firefox, file:%windir%\system32\ doesn't open windows explorer - in fact precisely nothing happens.  file:c:\ gives a directory listing, and I helped her navigate to the windows explorer executable (explorer.exe) and run that.  However, when she tried to run CMD.exe, she got the quota problem.  I've told her to be patient and keep rebooting and retrying - I'll keep this thread posted with progress.

Thanks for your (ongoing) help!
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 2:28 PM
  • Hi frogbaiter,

That is very strange, the file:%windir%\system32\ command is designed to work in both IE and Firefox. 

I don't want to jump to conclusions, but you may want to start easing her in the direction of possibly needing to reinstalling Windows.  When simple operations don't work as expected (file:%windir%\system32\ command not working, Copy/Paste won't paste and such) I start worring about wether windows is damaged to the point it's time to start over.  Not to mention that "not enough quota" error which, from reports, should only take a few reboots to work around it.

Anyways, keep me posted and sorry I haven't been better help,
    Darin MS
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 9:43 PM
  • Hi, Darin!

Finally fixed!  Eventually managed to persuade safe mode to start properly, and used system restore to go back to pre-problem.  Interestingly, there had been several updates just before things got screwed up.

It's working fine for now - fingers crossed!  Thanks a lot for your help.
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, November 23, 2009 8:18 PM
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 6:27 PM
  • Excellent frogbaiter, glad to hear you got it fixed!

If you have any further Validation issues, don't hesitate to post to me again. But hopefully I will never see you in this forum again :-)

And if you ever have any non-Validation issues or questions, try the Windows Vista Answers forum at http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsvista

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    Monday, November 23, 2009 8:18 PM