Set 'from' field when replying to emails RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

When a user replies to an email the 'From' is automatically populated with their own credentials. However, there is a need in some departments for it to come from the generic department email address.

Currently, the user has to manually change this. Is there any way to automatically populate the 'From' field with the generic email address?

Many thanks,

Richard

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 11:08 AM

All replies

• hi Richard,

you have not specified if you are using outlook for email tracking.

you have two options, one is to change the from address in outlook using delegation.

another is to create the reply as email activity in CRM (with the correct from address) and then synchronize the activity to outlook.

let me know if you want any clarification.

regards

Jithesh

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 11:17 AM
  • Hi Jithesh,

Thanks for the response.

Please excuse if I am not providing the right info. I am very new to CRM and using this as a task to understand more.

I expect I will also need to look at this on an Outlook client soon but right now it is in the web browser. I go to a Queue, select an email and attempt click reply to. I appreciate this is a real newbie question but could you point me in the right direction of perhaps changing the settings within the web browser or even a tutorial on how to get my head around this?

Many thanks,

Richard

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 12:17 PM
  • Richard,

If you stick to the Web client, you can change the from address with some JavaScript code on the OnLoad event for the Email form.  You have to decide if you want it to be 'from' a User, or Queue, and do get the id and name for that record.

var lookupValue = new Array();
    lookupValue[0] = new Object();
    lookupValue[0].id = id; // This is the Guid of the System User the email is 'from'
    lookupValue[0].name = name;  // This is the name of the user (e.g. John Smith)
    lookupValue[0].entityType = 'systemuser';  // This is the entity type name.  This can be Contact, System User, or Queue

Xrm.Page.getAttribute('from').setValue(lookupValue);

• Proposed as answer by Abhishek73 Wednesday, March 18, 2015 4:13 AM
    Tuesday, March 17, 2015 1:27 PM
  • Great, thank you! I shall look into doing it this way.

This seems like a good forum, quick responses and knowledge, is this the best for Dynamic CRM

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 4:08 PM
  • I just noticed something really bizarre with this...

On most computers the above problem occurs. However, I noticed in our IT training room when we hit 'reply', the correct team email, the one that the email was sent to, appears in the from field. But on many other user computers it defaults to the users personal email details.

What happens in the training room is: after hitting reply, the window appears with the user details in the box then after 1-2 seconds it flashes and inserts the correct team email. On other computers it flashes but still shows the users personal email but with an orange dot next to the users name.

Would anyone have any pointers as to what may be happening here?

Many thanks 

Wednesday, April 1, 2015 12:23 PM
  • I now tracked this down to being IE11 & IE10 specific. It works fine in IE9. The comparability mode also does not fix it. Has anyone come across a fix?

Thanks

Wednesday, April 1, 2015 4:30 PM
  • What version of CRM are you on (and what update rollup)?  Older versions of CRM aren't perfectly compatible with newer versions of Internet Explorer.

The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Solutions' positions, views, strategies or opinions.

Wednesday, April 1, 2015 4:32 PM
  • We are using CRM 2011 and rollup 18

So this issue may not have been fixed in one of the rollups? Do you know how we may get around this, if thats the case?

Thanks

Wednesday, April 1, 2015 5:10 PM