"Malware Protection" tab remains yellow - "format no longer supported", wants me to get updates but I have them all RRS feed

• Question

• In the Windows Security Center, the "malware protection" tab remains yellow. In the box for Virus Protection, it states that "Windows Live OneCare is on but is reporting its status to Windows Security Center in a format that is no longer supported. Use the program's automatic updating feature, or contact the new program manufacturer for an updated version." All other "security essentials" are on and green, but "malware protection" is yellow and says "not compatible."

Also, Windows Defender is on and working.

I've updated all I can; Windows Live OneCare can't find anything else to update. So I don't know what to do. This is very out of the blue. It has never happened before. Thank You.
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 7:51 AM

Answers

• Yes, it has been confirmed by Microsoft to be a problem affecting the Windows Security Center on Vista. I'm awaiting official word to post here, but the current workaround that is valid is to open the Windows Security Center and select "change the way security center alerts" you by disabling alerts. The warning shield in the system tray and popups will cease, but the yellow status in the Security Center will likely still remain. However, as I noted in my earlier reply, OneCare monitors its own status. So, as long as OneCare is in green, the system is protected.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 4:51 PM
  • Iit has been confirmed by Microsoft to be a problem affecting the Windows Security Center on Vista. I'm awaiting official word to post here, but the current workaround that is valid is to open the Windows Security Center and select "change the way security center alerts" you by disabling alerts. The warning shield in the system tray and popups will cease, but the yellow status in the Security Center will likely still remain. However, as I noted in my earlier reply, OneCare monitors its own status. So, as long as OneCare is in green, the system is protected.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 5:07 PM
  • In the Windows Security Center, the "malware protection" tab remains yellow.

It has been confirmed by Microsoft to be a problem affecting the Windows Security Center on Vista. 

The current workaround is:

- Open Control Panel ==> Windows Security Center and select "change the way security center alerts me" and

- select "Don't notify me and don't display the icon..."

The warning shield in the system tray and popups will cease, but the yellow status in the Security Center will likely still remain if you open it to look at the status.

OneCare monitors its own status. So, as long as OneCare is in green, the system is protected.

-steve

Wednesday, July 15, 2009 1:30 PM
  • Hey Everyone,

It looks like there's a tool available to address and resolve this issue.

There's 2 versions of the tool, one for 32 bit Windows and one for 64 bit Windows.

Here are the links:

32 Bit Windows
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/F/4/EF4F2FE5-2E02-4DA1-8E68-3DC3035CEF52/WscGracePeriodFix32.exe

64 Bit Windows
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/F/4/EF4F2FE5-2E02-4DA1-8E68-3DC3035CEF52/WscGracePeriodFix64.exe

NOTE: If you are on Windows Vista you will need to run the tool as an Administrator.

I hope this helps!

If you find that my answer was what you were looking for, please remember to click the "mark as answer" box below!
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 11:42 PM

All replies

• In the Windows Security Center, the "malware protection" tab remains yellow. In the box for Virus Protection, it states that "Windows Live OneCare is on but is reporting its status to Windows Security Center in a format that is no longer supported. Use the program's automatic updating feature, or contact the new program manufacturer for an updated version." All other "security essentials" are on and green, but "malware protection" is yellow and says "not compatible."

Also, Windows Defender is on and working.

I've updated all I can; Windows Live OneCare can't find anything else to update. So I don't know what to do. This is very out of the blue. It has never happened before. Thank You.

I have a Custmomer who has also reported this error today 14th July 2009 - it must be a Microsoft error. Moderators please action

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 9:37 AM
  • This has just started happening for me also - fine about 14 hours ago- switched on this morning and Firewall was switched off, as was Spyware... And I'm getting the 'Windows Live OneCare is on but is reporting its status to Windows Security Center in a format that is no longer supported' message.

Was worried I might have caught something at first, but it does sound like an update error?
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 9:54 AM
  • I suggest giving it 48 hours for Microsoft to correct what is probably a server error at their end.
    Keep your firewall running in the meantime
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 9:56 AM
  • I am not seeing this problem on any of my systems. I will, however, send a message to my contacts on the OneCare team to alert them to this thread.

Several points:
    If OneCare is in green status, your protection is on and you can safely ignore the Windows Security Center alerts. You can change the settings in the Windows Security Center to stop reporting on the status of your protection - since OneCare does that already via its system tray icon, it is redundant.
    You should *not* have Windows Defender on with OneCare installed. In Vista, disable Defender. In XP, remove it or disable it. OneCare includes the protection of Defender.
    You should *not* turn on the Windows Firewall with OneCare installed. You will cause a conflict with two firewalls running.
    -steve
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 12:06 PM
  • Can you guys let us know if you are still encountering this issue?

Thank you!

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 12:31 PM
  • I still have the issue.  I tried uninstalling in order to reinstall and the system said that onecare isn't properly installed.  Then when trying to install, it says I already have it installed.  It was working fine until yesterday.  I'm running vista ultimate
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 12:52 PM
  • Hi,

I haven't previously been involved in this thread but can confirm that I have exactly the same problem.

Andy I
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 1:00 PM
  • I have the same message, as soon as I turn on my computer, says "there are multiple security problems with your computer..." check this balloon. I open up the Security Center & my firewall is red & off & malware is red & says to check settings. I check settings & it says, "Windows Live Onecare is on but is reporting its status to windows security center in a format that is no longer supported. Use the programs automatic updating feature, or contact the program manuacturer for an updated version." Please hope this does not mean that I have to install Internet Explorer 8 for Vista?
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 1:21 PM
  • Window Security Center indicates that my firewall and malware protection are turned off.  Windows Live OneCare indicates everything is on.  What gives??????
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 1:30 PM
  • I'm having the same problem, had installed internet explorer 8 and thought this my be the cause so restored my system till before the update and am still having the problem so it's not that.

Looks pretty widespread and we've all encountered the problem at the same time.
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 1:42 PM
  • I've just had a customer call up about this.

got them to do fresh factory recovery and it happend.

uninstalled and used removal tool and reinstalled and failed.

any one gets news let me know
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 1:52 PM
  • Same hear - just started happening in the last 8-10 hours
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 2:49 PM
  • I'm also getting the Live One Care incompatabilty error on the malware protection.  It started today.
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 3:03 PM
  • Ditto.  Just noticed it this morning.  Solutions suggested were updating or reinstalling, neither worked.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 3:09 PM
  • Hi

I've started getting the 'red triangle with a white X issue'.  OneCare shows green but Windows Security Center shows firewall and malware red alerts.  This Vista 32 bit installation is a few days old but only started with the problem today.  I did the WMI service restart / folder rename fix but it made no difference.  Same with the WMI double command line fix that I've seen mentioned here as well.  I know that this is a known issue but I've not seen a known fix.  My OneCare version is 2.5.2900.24.

A re-installation after using the cleanup tool made no difference.  It came straight back.

Any fix now please ?

Thanks

Nigel
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 4:00 PM
  • I am no longer seeing this problem.  It just suddenly disappeared. 

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 4:00 PM
  • I am still getting this. I tried rebuilding the WMI repository and all the other fixes out there until I saw this thread. Everyone started having this problem, today? I would imagine it's a Microsoft problem, then.
    I hope they fix it soon since I don't like getting used to red "X"s as a rule.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 4:48 PM
  • Yes, it has been confirmed by Microsoft to be a problem affecting the Windows Security Center on Vista. I'm awaiting official word to post here, but the current workaround that is valid is to open the Windows Security Center and select "change the way security center alerts" you by disabling alerts. The warning shield in the system tray and popups will cease, but the yellow status in the Security Center will likely still remain. However, as I noted in my earlier reply, OneCare monitors its own status. So, as long as OneCare is in green, the system is protected.
    -steve
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 4:51 PM
  • Windows Security Center tells me "Windows Live OneCare is on but is reporting its status to Windows Security Center in a format that is no longer supported.  Use the program's automatic updating feature, or contact the program manufacturer for an updated version."   I have searched and either do not understand what I am reading or there is no solution.  Please help.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 4:53 PM
  • I too am having the same problem-any advice?
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 4:56 PM
  • I have just started getting these exact symptoms on my wife's system this morning. What is more of a concern is that it is also accompanied by a dialog that says "A program is trying to access your address book. If this is unexpected behavior, click Deny ..." etc. and keeps coming back. OneCare status remains green.
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 4:57 PM
  • I have just started getting these exact symptoms on my wife's system this morning. What is more of a concern is that it is also accompanied by a dialog that says "A program is trying to access your address book. If this is unexpected behavior, click Deny ..." etc. and keeps coming back. OneCare status remains green.

Your secondary issue is not related. This may be due to malware or it may be a valid program. Unless you know that there is a program that should have access to the address book, block it. Is the email program Outlook or some other program?
    Please start a new thread for this issue if it persists. You can contact support if you suspect it to be due to malware.
    -steve
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 5:06 PM
  • Iit has been confirmed by Microsoft to be a problem affecting the Windows Security Center on Vista. I'm awaiting official word to post here, but the current workaround that is valid is to open the Windows Security Center and select "change the way security center alerts" you by disabling alerts. The warning shield in the system tray and popups will cease, but the yellow status in the Security Center will likely still remain. However, as I noted in my earlier reply, OneCare monitors its own status. So, as long as OneCare is in green, the system is protected.
    -steve
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 5:07 PM
  • OK, good to know, although more details on the OneCare problem would be welcome. Wireshark isn't showing anything unexpected, so I'm guessing it's purely local.
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 5:36 PM
  • Same problem here.  OneCare is on, but is reporting to Windows Security Center in a format that is no longer supported.  My windows defender keeps shutting itself off periodically as well.  OneCare status yellow in my case (haven't used the onecare backup).

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 5:40 PM
  • Same problem here.  OneCare is on, but is reporting to Windows Security Center in a format that is no longer supported.  My windows defender keeps shutting itself off periodically as well.  OneCare status yellow in my case (haven't used the onecare backup).

If you choose not to use the back up in the settings then you can ditch the yellow status.

What I can't understand is why when another machine in the circle switches on I see a red alert for it before it eventually goes to green.
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 5:45 PM
  • I have subscribed to and run windows one care for about 7 months now... I am pleased with it.. But all of a sudden i have Windows defender popping up and telling me windows live care won't report to it.!!! In doing some research I find that windows defender should have been removed before one care was installed...One care was preinstalled on my Vaio laptop.. and was running as a free 3 month trial service .. which I subscribed to after 3 months,
    So how do I now get rid of "defender" I can't find it in the "unistall programs" section... and yet I see it in "all programs"..

sincerely
    wg
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 5:49 PM
  • I have subscribed to and run windows one care for about 7 months now... I am pleased with it.. But all of a sudden i have Windows defender popping up and telling me windows live care won't report to it.!!! In doing some research I find that windows defender should have been removed before one care was installed...One care was preinstalled on my Vaio laptop.. and was running as a free 3 month trial service .. which I subscribed to after 3 months,
    So how do I now get rid of "defender" I can't find it in the "unistall programs" section... and yet I see it in "all programs"..

sincerely
    wg

I merged your post to this thread since you are experiencing a new issue reported here by many people. Defender is disabled. Your alert is coming from the Windows Security Center. See the post marked as answer above.
    -steve
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 6:00 PM

Windows Defender *should* be off. OneCare will turn it off if you enable it. OneCare includes the protection of Defender.
    Also, netdudeuk is correct regarding your OneCare yellow status. Open OneCare and click change settings, backup tab, configure backup - uncheck "turn on backup..."
    -steve
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 6:01 PM
  • What I can't understand is why when another machine in the circle switches on I see a red alert for it before it eventually goes to green.
    You need to see this thread: 

Incorrect Status & False Alarms

-steve

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 6:02 PM
  • I reported earlier that the problem had gone away, but now its back and windows defender also shut down.
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 6:03 PM
  • Still no updates for the, "Windows Live OneCare is on but is reporting its status to Windows Security Center in a format that is no longer supported" problem? Please help. Everything seems to be fine with OneCare, just the Windows Security Alert thingie is messed up (or they're not talking, any more).
    Microsoft, please update us with a status of what you've done so far , and any ETA.
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 6:07 PM
  • Just FYI: Updating to Vista SP2 fixed the security center problem. The address book access issue was caused by an Outlook plug-in called "Toodledo sync", now uninstalled. Thanks for the advice everyone.
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 8:35 PM
  • My windows is up to date all service packs installed, etc., and I still have the problem. I am on x64 Vista, however.
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 10:07 PM
  • My windows security is telling me that windows live one care is up and running but is reporting its status to windows security center in a format that is no longer supported. what should i do?
    • Merged by JimR1Moderator Tuesday, July 14, 2009 10:42 PM Merged with ongoing discussion.
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 10:12 PM
  • Hello, I originally posted this question last night. After I shut down my laptop overnight, I turned it back on and saw that OneCare found a new update, a little over 300 MB in size. When I updated and restarted my computer, everything was fine again. I no longer have a "compatibility" problem. Everything is green!

My Installed Updates lists the 4 updates:

1) Service Pack for Microsoft Windows (KB948465)
    2) Microsoft Office 2007 Service Pack 2 (SP2)
    3) Microsoft Office Compatibility Service Pack 2 (SP2)
    4) Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer Service Pack 2 (SP2)
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 11:57 PM
  • I am having the same problem.  Vista Ultimate 32 bit, all updates, including SP2.  Both Malware Protection and Firewall in red status in Security Center.  All green in Live OneCare.  This is a recent problem.  Everything was working fine for months.  Security Center is reporting that Live Onecare is reporting status to Security Center in a format no longer supported.  It wants me to update OneCare.  Please fix and report the fix.
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 11:58 PM
  • My computer is a big part of my life. I booted up my computer to see this issue and I could feel my heart just sink down to my feet. I'm glad, though, that is has turned out to be less of a problem than it appears to be, and that it's not just isolated to a few users. Here's to a quick fix!
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 12:57 AM
  • When can we expect an 'official' response?

Mark Schoenbaum, MCSE, MCSD
    CTO
    Spot Systems, Inc.

Wednesday, July 15, 2009 1:03 AM
  • The windows Security Center gives a message:
     "VIRUS PROTECTION Not Compatible,  Widows Live OneCare is on but is reporting its status to the Windows security center in a formatthat is no longer supported.  Use the program's automatic updating feature, o contact the program manufacturer for an updated version."

• Merged by JimR1Moderator Wednesday, July 15, 2009 3:54 AM Merged, same issue.
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 1:20 AM
  • My Live One Care is showing good but I keep getting this error message in the Windows Security Center. 

Virus Protection
    Windows Live OneCare is on but is reporting its status to Windows Security Center in a format that is no longer supported.  Use the program's automatic updating feature or contact the program manufacturer for for an updated version. 

I currently use Windows Defender.  I believe I have already updated my Live OneCare.  Any assistance would be appreciated. 
    • Merged by JimR1Moderator Wednesday, July 15, 2009 3:56 AM Merged to consolidate issue.
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 1:36 AM
  • My vista computer is giving me a message that reads something like this.  OneCare is on but is reporting to the windows security center in a format which is no longer supported.  Contact the antivirus software provider for an update.
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 1:40 AM
  • I have the same message which started this morning. I would also like help with this problem.
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 1:43 AM
  • I'm having the same problem. My Windows Security Alerts shield turns Red. When I open it, it shows my firewall down, and my Windows Defender as down. My Malware shows the very same error message. I can turn the firewall back on, and sometimes the Windows Defender. I went to get help with Windows Live and found a solution.

http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2_5_client&queryType=keyword&query=rehto+rehtO&sid=f82865bf-e8d6-4738-abb1-f0638c149ee1_20793752&mkt=en-us

I followed the instructions, but now the problem has cropped up again. Can anybody assist?
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 2:45 AM
  • I am experiencing the same problem as well. It started earlier today and prompted me to ensure that all I have all available updates. After installation and reboot the same Windows security alert exists. The computer continues to work fine otherwise though. 
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 3:13 AM
  • This is a known issue that is currently being looked at. See this thread for possible workarounds and updates on the issue - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareupdate/thread/297455ff-0484-4dd6-9627-ca1b0e30b015
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 3:52 AM
  • Everytime I turn my computer on the firewall is turned off and it says my version of Live Onecare isn't accepted by the security center and I need to update it. What do I do? I ran BitDefender and it found nothing, what is going on?
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 3:56 AM
  • This is a known issue and is under investigation. See this thread for possible workarounds and updates on the issue - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareupdate/thread/297455ff-0484-4dd6-9627-ca1b0e30b015
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 3:59 AM
  • Chhalk me up for a quick fix too!! Due to OneCare is reporting its status to windows security center in format not supported...

Get er fixed boys!
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 4:52 AM
  • I tried to change the settings on the backup as described (I am the admin on this computer) and it says I cannot change it. It says it has been configured by the account holder (ME!) and local changes are not allowed.  I am very confused now.
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 5:30 AM
  • Here's the core reason that this is occuring, the question is why is it happining now rather than in September as the Blog entry states.

Upcoming Action Center Changes for Security Vendor Software
    http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windowssecurity/archive/2009/05/06/upcoming-action-center-changes-for-security-vendor-software.aspx

Though we're not sure what triggered this two months sooner than it should have been, it's really only a reporting issue and can be easily solved by disabling the messages in Windows Security Center itself.

I've also seen multiple posts in different forums where some have stated that it was resolved by installing Vista Service Pack 2.  Now this actually makes no sense, but I'd be interested to hear if those still experiencing the issue have installed Vista SP2 yet?

Rob
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 5:39 AM
  • I've just installed whatever updates are available and that hasn't cleared it.

The issue that is concerning me is that it keeps telling me my firewall is turned off and ask's me to turn it back on. Is this the case? or do I just ignore it.
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 9:18 AM
  • Yes.  I installed SP2 last night and I've just checked.  All lights are now green and I've re-enabled the warning option with no red shield.

However, goodness knows how many people on here have said this has been fixed only to come back shortly afterwards with a retraction.
    • Edited by netdudeuk Wednesday, July 15, 2009 9:21 AM
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 9:19 AM
  • My windows security center highlights the malware protection in red. But for the spyware and other malware protection, i have been able to turn on. The problem is it tells me the virus protection is not compatible. "windows live onecare is on, but is reporting its status to windows security centre in a format that is no longer supported".

what should I do?
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 9:59 AM
  • In the Windows Security Center, the "malware protection" tab remains yellow.

It has been confirmed by Microsoft to be a problem affecting the Windows Security Center on Vista. 

- Open Control Panel ==> Windows Security Center and select "change the way security center alerts me" and

The warning shield in the system tray and popups will cease, but the yellow status in the Security Center will likely still remain if you open it to look at the status.

OneCare monitors its own status. So, as long as OneCare is in green, the system is protected.

-steve

Wednesday, July 15, 2009 1:30 PM
  • I have the same problem and posted it yesterday.  Yesterday I was able to turn the firewall and the antivirus on, although the second would remain yellow and with the compatibility error message. This morning I am ONLY ABLE TO TURN ON the firewall, but I get a message that the security center CAN NOT TURN ON WINDOWS DEFENDER, now remains RED.  It looks like things are progressing.  Need help, as my 2 computers, which I use for my work, are having the same problem. 
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 1:34 PM
  • I've just installed whatever updates are available and that hasn't cleared it.

The issue that is concerning me is that it keeps telling me my firewall is turned off and ask's me to turn it back on. Is this the case? or do I just ignore it.

See the answer in this thread. You can disable the warnings.
    -steve
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 1:39 PM
  • I tried to change the settings on the backup as described (I am the admin on this computer) and it says I cannot change it. It says it has been configured by the account holder (ME!) and local changes are not allowed.  I am very confused now.

JanScholl, please start a new thread in the backup topic forum or contact support. 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

The message you are getting indicates that backup was configured on a hub PC in your Circle and that you are trying to change the plan for one of the other PCs in the Circle on that PC. There is an option on the Hub PC backup settings that allows or prevents the Circle computers from changing their own backup settings.

-steve

Wednesday, July 15, 2009 1:41 PM
  • Still no updates for the, "Windows Live OneCare is on but is reporting its status to Windows Security Center in a format that is no longer supported" problem? Please help. Everything seems to be fine with OneCare, just the Windows Security Alert thingie is messed up (or they're not talking, any more).
    Microsoft, please update us with a status of what you've done so far , and any ETA.

no ETA as this is not a OneCare problem, but a Vista problem and OneCare is a victim of it.

-steve

Wednesday, July 15, 2009 1:43 PM
  • My windows security is telling me that windows live one care is up and running but is reporting its status to windows security center in a format that is no longer supported. what should i do?

-steve

Wednesday, July 15, 2009 1:43 PM
  • I wish I knew, Mark.
    This is the best I can offer right now:

-steve

Wednesday, July 15, 2009 1:44 PM
  • My Live One Care is showing good but I keep getting this error message in the Windows Security Center. 

Virus Protection
    Windows Live OneCare is on but is reporting its status to Windows Security Center in a format that is no longer supported.  Use the program's automatic updating feature or contact the program manufacturer for for an updated version. 

I currently use Windows Defender.  I believe I have already updated my Live OneCare.  Any assistance would be appreciated. 

Turn off Defender if you are using OneCare.
    See the post marked as answer in this thread for the workaround for the WSC alert.
    -steve
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 1:45 PM
  • My vista computer is giving me a message that reads something like this.  OneCare is on but is reporting to the windows security center in a format which is no longer supported.  Contact the antivirus software provider for an update.

-steve

Wednesday, July 15, 2009 1:45 PM
  • I have the same message which started this morning. I would also like help with this problem.

See the post marked as answer in this thread for details.
    -steve
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 1:46 PM
  • I'm having the same problem. My Windows Security Alerts shield turns Red. When I open it, it shows my firewall down, and my Windows Defender as down. My Malware shows the very same error message. I can turn the firewall back on, and sometimes the Windows Defender. I went to get help with Windows Live and found a solution.

See the post marked as answer in this thread for details. if you are using OneCare, disable Defender and leave the Windows firewall *off*.
    -steve
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 1:47 PM
  • Everytime I turn my computer on the firewall is turned off and it says my version of Live Onecare isn't accepted by the security center and I need to update it. What do I do? I ran BitDefender and it found nothing, what is going on?

-steve
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 1:47 PM
  • My windows security center highlights the malware protection in red. But for the spyware and other malware protection, i have been able to turn on. The problem is it tells me the virus protection is not compatible. "windows live onecare is on, but is reporting its status to windows security centre in a format that is no longer supported".

what should I do?

-steve
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 1:48 PM
  • Yes.  I installed SP2 last night and I've just checked.  All lights are now green and I've re-enabled the warning option with no red shield.

However, goodness knows how many people on here have said this has been fixed only to come back shortly afterwards with a retraction.

netdudeuk,

Thanks for responding and glad to hear that installing Vista SP2 seems to have solved the problem for you.  Let us know if that changes.

Now that I've thought about it, this makes sense.  Since what appears to have happened is that Vista Service Pack 1 has 'expired' the old WSC API support early, this same issue may not exist in Vista SP2, so installing it resolves the entirely visual problem.

Since simply turning off the way Windows Security Center alerts is much easier, this isn't the easiest solution.  However, since it also has the benefit of providing all of the latest updates to the Vista operating system and apparently truly 'fixes' the problem too, it might be worth the effort for those willing to take the time.  At this point Vista Service Pack 2 isn't a critical update, so it hasn't yet been 'pushed' via Automatic Update to all systems.

Rob
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 2:10 PM
  • SP 2 is indeed fixing this, just installed it myself and problem gone.

Cheers
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 3:37 PM
  • Can you provide me with the link to the SP2 update?  It does not come up on the automatic updates.
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 3:41 PM
  • See this KB article on how to obtain SP2 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935791
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 3:53 PM
  • Same problem here, started a couple of days ago.  Hope they get it fixed soon!!!

Turns off Defender, says Windows OneCare is on reporting in format that is no longer supported; and it keeps turning my firewall off!!!
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 3:06 AM
  • How do I obtain an updated version to protect my computer from malware?
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 3:15 AM
  • Using Kaspersky, same situation.  Vista SP2 was the cure.  Looks like the SP2 update also turns off the temporary 'disable alerts' fix mentioned above.  Didn't need to turn alerting back on.

Thanks for the solid information.
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 3:42 AM
  • One Care is protecting your computer. There is an issue with how One Care is reporting its status to Security Center. See the answer in this thread for a workaround until a fix is available - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareupdate/thread/297455ff-0484-4dd6-9627-ca1b0e30b015
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 4:00 AM
  • i have windows live onecare, but windows security alert keeps telling me that live one care is not providing me with up to date virus protection, and that i should change my coverage to another provider....what is going on?
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 4:32 AM
  • Vista Service Pack 2 was the solution for the issue on Vista Home Premium 64 bit.

Very inconvenient problem and distrubing that this thread is about the only place this problem is mentioned.

Since everyone is a subscriber to the service, the least Microsoft could have done was send an email describing the problem and possible solutions. They had everyones contact information after all...

Given the nature of the problem, alot of people assumed a virus or malware had taken over their system. Which led them to format, reload and restore thier data, probably to only find it did not solve the problem.

That scenario is a lot of wasted time for an individual to incur for a 50 USD software package.

Very poor customer service.
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 11:10 AM
  • After all the updates on July 14--I got a red status on Windows security. It says Firewall is turned off (and won't let me turn it on). It also says Windows Defender is off (and won't let me turn it on). I think those are OK. However, I also have a Virus Protection notice that says Windows Live One Care is on--but is reporting in a format that is no longer compatible. "Fix it" did not help. Why would Windows Live One Care not be compatible with Windows Security, and how do I fix it?
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 12:25 PM
  • Vista Service Pack 2 was the solution for the issue on Vista Home Premium 64 bit.

Very inconvenient problem and distrubing that this thread is about the only place this problem is mentioned.

Since everyone is a subscriber to the service, the least Microsoft could have done was send an email describing the problem and possible solutions. They had everyones contact information after all...

Given the nature of the problem, alot of people assumed a virus or malware had taken over their system. Which led them to format, reload and restore thier data, probably to only find it did not solve the problem.

That scenario is a lot of wasted time for an individual to incur for a 50 USD software package.

Very poor customer service.

I respect your concerns about communications regarding the issue. When it first cropped up, I immediately contacted Microsoft via email and received a quick reply that they were escalating the issue. I suspect that Support also received emails and calls regarding the issue. I also suspect that many people at Microsoft spent time trying to determine what the best solution for the issue was. I don't know what the alternatives were, but I can tell you that sending an email to all registered subscribers would probably not have been a good idea.
    Although you, and many others, were impacted by the issue, the vast majority of OneCare subscribers were not impacted. Sending a message to all users would have caused more concern for the average user than placated the impacted user, in my opinion. Hasitly coding an update to OneCare to use the new API and deploying it would also have been a bad idea as that may have a greater impact than the false Security Center warning.
    The exact cause of the problem is not known by me, but I believe that it was a premature trigger of code in Vista Security Center SP1. Many Vista users have updated to SP2 via Automatic Updates offering it to them or because the obtained it manually from Windows Update. The bottom line is that it is a Windows issue, not a OneCare issue.
    I certainly hope that people did not format their machines due to a security alert - especially given the fact that OneCare itself was reporting that all was good. Sure, it is confusing and disturbing to see the alert from the Windows Security Center, but I don't think that many people would take the drastic step of formatting their machine due to this. Rather, I would expect that they contacted support or searched the web for information. Note that this problem was not isolated to OneCare, but affected users of many security programs that have not yet updated to the new API for communicating status to the Vista Security Center. Had OneCare development not been terminated late last year, I'm sure that we'd be using version 3.x today and that it would have been using the new API - which, by the way, Microsoft Security Essentials (the free  successor to OneCare that is currently in limited public beta) uses. Yes, the problem wasted  people's time - mine included. However, anyone contacting support would have received the workarounds highlighted in this thread.

-steve
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 12:35 PM
  • I'm merging your post with the larger thread for the issue. Here is the answer:

-steve

Thursday, July 16, 2009 1:07 PM
  • I'm merging your psot with the main thread.
    here is the answer:

-steve

Thursday, July 16, 2009 1:10 PM
  • How do I obtain an updated version to protect my computer from malware?

See the answer within this thread. there is no updated version of OneCare to address this Windows issue.
    -steve
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 1:51 PM
  • I get the following message under "malware protection" in the windows security center:

"Windows live one care is on but reporting its status to windows security center in a format that is no longer supported. Use the program's automatic updating feature or contact the program manufacturer for an updated version."

I ran the update, but the message is still showing. Live One Care shows "green" status = everything ok. Does anybody know what is going on here???
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 3:12 PM
  • See the answers in the thread I'm merging your post into. -steve
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 3:42 PM
  • "Virus Protection - Windows Live OneCare is on but is reporting its status to Windows Security Center in a format that is no longer supported. Use the program's automatic updating feature, or contact the program manufacturer for an updated version."

Murthy
    =================================================================================
    Hi all,

I guess I found a solution for this.

1. Stop WSC service (net stop wscsvc) from an elevated command prompt
    2. Open Regedit and navigate to  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\Svc
    3. Right-Click “Svc” and choose Permissions.  Click the Advanced button then click the owner tab.  Take ownership of the folder.
    4. Click OK and ensure that Administrators or Everyone has “Full Control” permission on the Svc folder.
    5. Delete the following registry key value - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\Svc\VistaSp1
    6. Start WSC service (net start wscsvc) from an elevated command prompt

this should work, just let me if they are any solutions.
    • Merged by JimR1Moderator Thursday, July 16, 2009 8:56 PM Merged with ongoing discussion.
    • Proposed as answer by v-6narm Thursday, July 23, 2009 2:24 PM
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 6:43 PM
  • Hey Stephen,
    I wasn't knocking your actions regarding issue, which I thought was appropriate in response.

My circle indicated that only my Vista PC had a problem, all others indicated no symptoms. So, I ran a third party scan which showed no viruses or malware present.
    It was then I went to to web and eventually came across this thread.

Skimming this thread, it looks like a number of people undertook various heroic actions to repair and restore from the problem.

"so restored my system till before the update and am still having the problem so it's not that"

"I've just had a customer call up about this. got them to do fresh factory recovery and it happend. u
    ninstalled and used removal tool and reinstalled and failed.any one gets news let me know"

I think an email would have saved a lot of people a lot of headaches. Did they need to email everyone, probably not. With a very simple check, I was able to deduce that the problem was limited to my Vista PC. 

Our PCs upload enough telemetry to Microsoft for Spynet and Genuine Advantage Checks that they should have been able to cross reference the data to target affected users.

That would averted a mass panic amongst all OneCare users by emailing them. By not communicating at all, they induced mass panic among a segment of OneCare users.

At the very least a KB article could have been posted, since this problem with AV format (for many software vendors) was reported on several months back.

Best Regards,
    The other Stephen

Thursday, July 16, 2009 6:51 PM
  • I saw there was a similar problem with Live OneCare 2.5.2900.22 back in March. I turned the firewall off, then on and did same with virus protection. Didn't work.  The OneCare shows status as "good", but Windows Security Center says

"Windows Live OneCare is on but is reporting its status to Windows Security Center in a format that is no longer supported. Use the program’s  automatic updating feature, or contact the program manufacturer for an updated version."

• Merged by JimR1Moderator Thursday, July 16, 2009 8:55 PM Merged with ongoing discussion.
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 7:57 PM
  • Hey Stephen,
    I wasn't knocking your actions regarding issue, which I thought was appropriate in response.

My circle indicated that only my Vista PC had a problem, all others indicated no symptoms. So, I ran a third party scan which showed no viruses or malware present.
    It was then I went to to web and eventually came across this thread.

Skimming this thread, it looks like a number of people undertook various heroic actions to repair and restore from the problem.

"so restored my system till before the update and am still having the problem so it's not that"

"I've just had a customer call up about this. got them to do fresh factory recovery and it happend. u
    ninstalled and used removal tool and reinstalled and failed.any one gets news let me know"

I think an email would have saved a lot of people a lot of headaches. Did they need to email everyone, probably not. With a very simple check, I was able to deduce that the problem was limited to my Vista PC. 

Our PCs upload enough telemetry to Microsoft for Spynet and Genuine Advantage Checks that they should have been able to cross reference the data to target affected users.

That would averted a mass panic amongst all OneCare users by emailing them. By not communicating at all, they induced mass panic among a segment of OneCare users.

At the very least a KB article could have been posted, since this problem with AV format (for many software vendors) was reported on several months back.

Best Regards,
    The other Stephen

Stephen,

The telemetry data that Microsoft collects using any of their anti-malware products purposefully doesn't contain anything that can personally identify you, especially not your Windows Live address.  Of course this would be possible, but they very specifcally have avoided this precisely so no one can claim they are 'spying' on anyone personally.

Though the Windows Live ID does allow specific departments to access billing and other personal information, this access is limited to only those departments that directly require such information.  Thus, this isn't a path for the technical groups, support or otherwise, to any of the configuration information specific to your PC, Windows or otherwise.

So as Steve mentioned, the only possible option would have been to email blast all OneCare customers, which we here know would create far more confusion for more people than were actually affected by the real issue.

It's also important to understand that this is a Windows Vista SP1 issue only, though it affects any anti-malware product not currently supporting the new WSC API set.  This means that any action would need to be taken by the Windows Support side of the organization, not OneCare Support. They can only deal with the fallout for those affected just as OneCare Support has been required to do.

Rob
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 9:45 PM
  • I have a similar problems aswell... I get errors when updating my Windows Defender... and also same as everyone else my Eset Nod32 is not supported by the OS nomore...this has happened since last night i think...hopefully microsoft will fix it soon and all well be back to normal...
    Friday, July 17, 2009 3:32 AM
  • ok firewalls its on
    automatic aupdating its on
    but malware protection its red and say window live one care its on but is reportingits status to window security center in a format that is no longer supported use the program autmatic updating feature
    then i try to urn on but in here say security center can't  turn window defender plz try again later........i be try all day and nothing happend ,my comp can b infected????waht should i do?????.....i'm using WINDOW ONE LIVE CARE
    Friday, July 17, 2009 5:36 AM
  • I have a similar problems aswell... I get errors when updating my Windows Defender... and also same as everyone else my Eset Nod32 is not supported by the OS nomore...this has happened since last night i think...hopefully microsoft will fix it soon and all well be back to normal...

Since you found this thread, you'll see that the solution is simple - disable the Windows Security Center alerting since OneCare handles that for you.
    I am not certain, but it also appears that installing Vista SP2 resolves the issue.
    -steve
    Friday, July 17, 2009 11:57 AM
  • Hey Stephen,

Thanks -and I didn't take you prior post as a knock to me. I think that Microsoft could be doing more to communicate the issue and the solution. For example, I am not 100% certain that installing Sp2 is the solution, but I believe that it is. I do know that disabling the WSC alerts is perfectly acceptable and works 100% of the time.
    It is also my undestanding that the OneCare team will be releasing an update in the near future to address some of the transition issues for OneCare end of life and that it will probably also include a fix for this issue.
    -steve

Friday, July 17, 2009 12:00 PM
  • the solution to this issue is posted within the thread that I'm merging your post into. The problem is not OneCare, it is a misreporting by the Windows Security Center.
    -steve
    Friday, July 17, 2009 12:13 PM
  • i keep getting a message saying windows live one care is on but is reporting in a format that is no longer supported.  my firewall and malware protection keep shutting off. can you help?
    Friday, July 17, 2009 1:19 PM
  • Windows Live OneCare and Windows Security Center report two different setting for Firewall and Malware.  OneCare says everything is on and working.  Security Center reports firewall is turn off and Malware Protection is off.  Why?

Friday, July 17, 2009 1:43 PM
  • Suddenly Windows Security Center is saying my Firewall and Malware protection are turned off, but OneCare says everything is working correctly.  I have:
    1. forced the recreation of the repository by turning off Windows Management Instrumentation and deleting the repository folder - didn't solve the problem
    2. uninstalled OneCare and reinstalled - did not solve problem.

Any thoughts?
    rjd
    Friday, July 17, 2009 2:35 PM
  • i keep getting a message saying windows live one care is on but is reporting in a format that is no longer supported.  my firewall and malware protection keep shutting off. can you help?

See the answer post in the thread that I am merging your post into. The problem is a Vista Windows Security issue, not a OneCare issue. If OneCare is in the green, all is good. If OneCare is red, then you are not facing the same issue, of course.

Friday, July 17, 2009 2:52 PM
  • I installed SP2 for Vista and that seems to have taken care of the issue for the time being.
    Friday, July 17, 2009 2:57 PM
  • See the answer post within the thread I am moving your post to for instructions on how to resolve this Windows Security Center issue.
    -steve
    Friday, July 17, 2009 3:09 PM
  • Windows Live OneCare and Windows Security Center report two different setting for Firewall and Malware.  OneCare says everything is on and working.  Security Center reports firewall is turn off and Malware Protection is off.  Why?

I'm merging your posts into the thread discussing the issue - it is a Windows Security Center issue/bug.
    -steve
    Friday, July 17, 2009 3:10 PM
  • Hello, ive had Windows Live One Care for a couple months now and its been running great, till yesterday.  I turned my computer on and it went thru its normal start up process.  Then i get a security bubble that is a little bothersome and cant figure out why.  Here is the error message that i get:  "Windows Live OneCare is on but is reporting its status to Windows Security Center in a format that is no longer supported.  Use the program's automatic updating feature, or contact the program manufacturer for an updated version."   This error happens under the Malware protection tab in the windows security center.  Ive updated windows live one car and it says the status is good, but im still getting the windows security center error.  Does anyone else get this error?  Does anyone know how i can fix this error?  I think the program is running ok from what i can see, it seems to be just a conflict between the program and windows security center. Thanks for your time.
    Friday, July 17, 2009 5:43 PM
  • Why am I getting a message that "Windows Live OneCare is on but is reporting its status to Windows Sexcurity Center in a format that is no longer supported?"

-- Why not? They're both MicroSoft products.

And why are my "Antivirus Options"
    - Go online to get a different antivirus program
    - I have an antivirus program that I'll monitor myself
    - Don't monitor my antivirus software state.

-- What's wrong with this picture? Isn't Windows Live OneCare MY antivirus program?
    Friday, July 17, 2009 6:03 PM
  • This is a known problem with the Windows Vista Security Center that cropped up this week. I'm merging your post into the thread which contains the answer.
    -steve
    Friday, July 17, 2009 6:06 PM
  • I'm merging your post into the forum thread containing the answer to this known problem with the Vista Security Center that occurred this week.
    -steve

Friday, July 17, 2009 6:08 PM
  • Thank you Stephen.
    Friday, July 17, 2009 6:13 PM
  • Thank you Stephen.

You're very welcome. It is an annoying problem, to say the least. :-)
    -steve
    Friday, July 17, 2009 6:18 PM
  • Firewall is continuously turned off and same message of format no longer supported.  Tried automatic update, no help.  Need help.  Have used other programs with no problems.  First experience with Windows One Care.
    • Merged by JimR1Moderator Saturday, July 18, 2009 5:53 AM Merged with ongoing discussion of issue.
    Friday, July 17, 2009 11:23 PM
  • Hello guys
    I got the followinf message on my Windows Security Center on the Malware Protection: Windows Live One Care is on but is reporting its status to Windows Security Center in a format that is not longer supported.

Please help

Thanks

• Merged by JimR1Moderator Saturday, July 18, 2009 4:06 AM Merged with active thread on this issue.
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 3:58 AM
  • HI!

All you have to do is download and install the KB 948465, which is the service pack 2 for windows vista.

Here's the link:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=a4dd31d5-f907-4406-9012-a5c3199ea2b3

It will just take some time to finish installing , but it the main reason why the security center is not coordinating with Windows Live Onecare.

----- bayabasgirl29
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 4:35 AM
  • The Windows One Care icon is green but the Windows Security Alert pops up red and shows that my firewall and malware protection is turned off.  This is the first time this has happened since I got OneCare.  I've tried to then turn on the firewall and malware protection but it eventually gets turned back off by OneCare (I'm assuming) because you're not supposed to run two at the same time.

I'm wondering if OneCare is being eliminated, that these problems may occur over the next few months because they are no longer going to support.  Any help is appreciated.
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 2:00 PM
  • Hi,

1. Stop WSC service (net stop wscsvc) from an elevated command prompt
    2. Open Regedit and navigate to  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\Svc
    3. Right-Click “Svc” and choose Permissions.  Click the Advanced button then click the owner tab.  Take ownership of the folder.
    4. Click OK and ensure that Administrators or Everyone has “Full Control” permission on the Svc folder.
    5. Delete the following registry key value - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\Svc\VistaSp1
    6. Start WSC service (net start wscsvc) from an elevated command prompt

this should work, just let me if they are any solutions.
    Murthy
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 4:24 PM
  • Hi,

While this may work, it is not the solution.
    The solution is to update to Vista SP2 and/or turn of alerting by the Windows Security Center if using OneCare.
    -steve
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 8:14 PM
  • The Windows One Care icon is green but the Windows Security Alert pops up red and shows that my firewall and malware protection is turned off.  This is the first time this has happened since I got OneCare.  I've tried to then turn on the firewall and malware protection but it eventually gets turned back off by OneCare (I'm assuming) because you're not supposed to run two at the same time.

I'm wondering if OneCare is being eliminated, that these problems may occur over the next few months because they are no longer going to support.  Any help is appreciated.

Your post is being merged into the forum thread containing the solution for this issue.
    -steve
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 8:16 PM
  • Please help
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 8:23 PM
  • I'm merging your post into this thread:
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareupdate/thread/297455ff-0484-4dd6-9627-ca1b0e30b015

The answer is contained in there
    -steve
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 8:25 PM
  • Is there anyone out there?
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 8:26 PM
  • Is there anyone out there?

Yes. I merged your post and I'll paste the answer here for your information. Note that this is a community forum, not support. It is customers helping customers and isn't a real time chat.

-steve
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 8:40 PM
  • I still have the problem on 1 system - a dell 530, Vista X64 SP1 with OneCare.

This may be unrelated, but coincidently, this system is also not able to install Vista SP2. I have tried a 6-7 times. The System Update Readiness tool (KB947821-X64-V4) runs successfully, but the SP2 update fails at some point during the reboots.

I have a 32 bit Vista SP1 laptop which also is acting the same way with SP2, but which does not have OneCare (it has Trend Micro).

Perhaps the SP2 error is unrelated to the OnceCare issue, but I thought I would bring it up.

David
    David
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 9:28 PM
  • On my X64 Vista SP1 system with the OnceCare reporting problem, SP2 refused to install. The Update Readiness Tool (X64-V4) runs successfully!
    David
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 9:35 PM
  • Thanks for the work around, Steve.  I'm experiencing the same problem.  If I uninstall OneCare and install Norton or other similar program, this should fix the problem correct?  I'm assuming that it is isolated to Security Center/OneCare communication, not Security Center overall.  Is that your understanding?
    Thanks for the help!

PS
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 9:40 PM
  • Steve,

With all due respect to you and the other MVPs chiming in here, the support personnel involved, and to Microsoft in general, the response to this situation was totally inadequate and unprofessional. I am an IT/Developer-type with 35 years in the industry. For several days now I have scoured the Microsoft site and the rest of the web looking for a solution to this problem. Until just a few hours ago, there was not even an acknowlegement that anyone else was having the problem. And when the acknowlegement appeared, it was not from Microsoft, but was from an MVP. That is an inexcusable customer service failure!

Secondly, there was dozens of links that looked like they might be related, and that had "things to try" that took up hours of my precious time to no avail. My own efforts to discover the cause of the problem or get around it were totally WASTED effort, all because Microsoft failed to acknowlege the problem in a timely and visible manner.

That said, thanks a bazillion for this thread!

Best Regards,
    David Rogers

David
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 9:50 PM
  • Thanks for the work around, Steve.  I'm experiencing the same problem.  If I uninstall OneCare and install Norton or other similar program, this should fix the problem correct?  I'm assuming that it is isolated to Security Center/OneCare communication, not Security Center overall.  Is that your understanding?
    Thanks for the help!

PS

No, uninstalling and reinstalling the security will not fix the issue unless you are installing different security software that does use the new APIs to communicate to the Security Ceter.
    Yes, is it the way that the security software communicates to the Security Center.
    -steve
    Sunday, July 19, 2009 9:08 PM
  • I still have the problem on 1 system - a dell 530, Vista X64 SP1 with OneCare.

This may be unrelated, but coincidently, this system is also not able to install Vista SP2. I have tried a 6-7 times. The System Update Readiness tool (KB947821-X64-V4) runs successfully, but the SP2 update fails at some point during the reboots.

I have a 32 bit Vista SP1 laptop which also is acting the same way with SP2, but which does not have OneCare (it has Trend Micro).

Perhaps the SP2 error is unrelated to the OnceCare issue, but I thought I would bring it up.

David
    David

You're going to want to get that machine updated to SP2 eventually. Here are some resources for help:

Windows Update Solution Center - http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527

Vista Solution Center - http://support.microsoft.com/ph/11732#tab0

-steve

Sunday, July 19, 2009 9:09 PM
  • Steve,

With all due respect to you and the other MVPs chiming in here, the support personnel involved, and to Microsoft in general, the response to this situation was totally inadequate and unprofessional. I am an IT/Developer-type with 35 years in the industry. For several days now I have scoured the Microsoft site and the rest of the web looking for a solution to this problem. Until just a few hours ago, there was not even an acknowlegement that anyone else was having the problem. And when the acknowlegement appeared, it was not from Microsoft, but was from an MVP. That is an inexcusable customer service failure!

Secondly, there was dozens of links that looked like they might be related, and that had "things to try" that took up hours of my precious time to no avail. My own efforts to discover the cause of the problem or get around it were totally WASTED effort, all because Microsoft failed to acknowlege the problem in a timely and visible manner.

That said, thanks a bazillion for this thread!

Best Regards,
    David Rogers

David

David, I don't disagree with you at all. I am left wondering why more details have not been announced officially.
    -steve
    Sunday, July 19, 2009 9:10 PM
  • Finally got around to installing SP2 for x64, everything is green now. Thanks for the help everyone.
    Sunday, July 19, 2009 10:41 PM
  • I have the same issue, with my firewall off and Malware protection problem. So do we not need to keep turning on the firewall? I am so concerned about getting a virus.

Monday, July 20, 2009 8:14 PM
  • Have you installed service pack 2? It cleared everything up for me. After you install service pack 2 your Firewall should be on but it should have the Windows Live OneCare logo, same with your malware tab.

Depending on what kind of windows your using, just click your start button go to programs and click Windows Update.  It might be an Icon on its own at the top of your program list.
    Monday, July 20, 2009 8:57 PM
  • There is an update from Microsoft regarding this.  Hope this helps.

http://windowsonecare.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!C29701F38A601141!10831.entry

Murthy
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 2:25 PM
  • There is an update from Microsoft regarding this.  Hope this helps.

http://windowsonecare.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!C29701F38A601141!10831.entry

Murthy

Thanks, Murthy. Unfortunately, they aren't saying much in there yet that we don't already know. The cause is absolutely a premature trigger date for the Security Center change that a OneCare update within the next month or so will address. The posts in this thread marked as answer will allow you to resolve the problem by either installing SP2 for Vista or disabling the security center alerts.
    -steve
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 3:53 PM
  • Hey Everyone,

It looks like there's a tool available to address and resolve this issue.

There's 2 versions of the tool, one for 32 bit Windows and one for 64 bit Windows.

Here are the links:

32 Bit Windows
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/F/4/EF4F2FE5-2E02-4DA1-8E68-3DC3035CEF52/WscGracePeriodFix32.exe

64 Bit Windows
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/F/4/EF4F2FE5-2E02-4DA1-8E68-3DC3035CEF52/WscGracePeriodFix64.exe

NOTE: If you are on Windows Vista you will need to run the tool as an Administrator.

I hope this helps!

If you find that my answer was what you were looking for, please remember to click the "mark as answer" box below!
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 11:42 PM