none
Windows Home Server Backup started crashing one of my 3 clients - all run Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I have three client computers (all run Windows 7 Home Premium). The server is an HP EX470 running SP 2. 

Several days ago one of my client computers has been crashing during the backup process. I went into the Event Viewer on the server and identified the fact that when these backups fail, two error messages are generated.

The first error message generates an error code 272 and the message reads "Unexpected error 0x45d from ReadFile on D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}\VAIOLAPTOP.C.VolumeCluster.4096.dat: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."

The second error message generates an error code 267 and the message reads "Client Backup server failed at d:\wssg_src\whs_pp3\qhs\src\backup\util\diskfile.cpp(449)"

What's the solution to this problem?
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 2:40 AM

Answers

• Heh. I failed at reading, sorry. Your problem is on your server, so you will need to run chkdsk on all the drives in your server. Probably one will be found to have serious errors, and should be replaced. It's possible (likely, to be honest) that you will lose your backup database since that seems to be affected.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by lebrown86305 Saturday, December 5, 2009 3:05 AM
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 2:14 PM

All replies