none
Sometimes new question posts don't properly enter the system so that they get viewed and get replies. RRS feed

• Question

• Most of the question posts have view numbers that immediately rise.

Yesterday one of the question posts only has the number of views for each time that I viewed the thread.

Many times I clicked forum and then did not see my post.  There are approximately 20 posts per page and the post did not appear on the first 5 pages.

At this moment a question post that I made today in the past 1 hour has more views than the post made yesterday.

The post I made today I can see it when Forum is clicked.

The post that I made yesterday was not seen in the first 10 pages.

Activity can be slow on Sunday but on Monday there is typically a lot of activity.

How do you troubleshoot a thread that fails to cycle in the forum?

Tuesday, March 20, 2018 6:20 AM

Answers

• Ah yes, looks like Forums had a hick-up yesterday.
    A post, which I made didn't not show up, accessing respective Forum.
    Though it is back to normal now.
    To make it visible, would try an 'Edit'.
    Think a new post will update the whole thread and get it to the top of 'Most recent post' .
    Probably you have to make any addendum?

Please have in mind, deletion of a post is impossible,  if other users have replied to the thread in the meantime.

With kind regards

Tuesday, March 20, 2018 8:51 AM

All replies

• How do you sort the results? That is, how do you sort the list of threads? I don't know what the default is but I think the default sort order is by post. So the thread with the most recent reply is at the top. I sort by thread, not post. I don't care about how recently there has been a reply except I sometimes look at how many total replies there are.

You will see a big difference in the number of views. Those that are created at about the same time that have a greater number of views tend to have replies too. So it is natural to tend to ignore threads with a title indicating it is a bad question or that the person can't help with.

Yes, there is less activity on the weekend. You must understand that many people seek help on projects for their employer. And Microsoft prefers to help them. I think they call anyone that is unemployed "hobbyists". Note that there is a very clear difference in the quality of questions too. On the weekend we get many more questions from beginners and people that don't try to look up things. Once you have had more experience with answering questions you will learn that Sunday evening in the United States is a likely time to get messages from Microsoft representatives. Sunday evening is Monday morning in China and the rest of Asia where there are many Microsoft representatives.

First, please understand that the following is generic; I don't know you and I am not aware of seeing any of your previous posts. I am not sure what you mean by "cycle" in this context except you are probably asking what to do if a question does not get attention. Well one thing to not do is to say things like "Help" and "desperate" and "I am in a hurry". Also don't try to ask the entire question in the title. Make the title as short as possible but try to describe the problem as well as possible so that the people that can help you are likely to look at it. You don't need many views from people that can't help. Play fair and try to not get more attention than you need.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Tuesday, March 20, 2018 7:24 AM
  • Questions that were submitted today got immediate increase in view count.  Some got answers.  The post from the weekend still appears to have a view count based on the number of times that I went back and viewed the post.  I'll wait the week to see what happens.
    Tuesday, March 20, 2018 8:06 AM
  • Ah yes, looks like Forums had a hick-up yesterday.
    A post, which I made didn't not show up, accessing respective Forum.
    Though it is back to normal now.
    To make it visible, would try an 'Edit'.
    Think a new post will update the whole thread and get it to the top of 'Most recent post' .
    Probably you have to make any addendum?

Please have in mind, deletion of a post is impossible,  if other users have replied to the thread in the meantime.

With kind regards

Tuesday, March 20, 2018 8:51 AM
  • This thread is now 5 days old and the original post still displays the same number of views (all by the OP).

The post on TechNet with that continues to fail to cycle is now 7 days old.

The thread I had checked multiple times as the view count did not rise like other posts.  The total number of views appear to be 1 for the post plus the 5 rechecks with a total of 6 views.

Is there any alert of notification for unanswered threads other that what is displayed as 0 replies?

What percent of threads have 0 replies?

This is the displayed information on the thread that continues to fail to circulate:

Sunday, March 18, 2018 5:31 PM

| 0 Replies | 6 Views | 

What is the quality control method to make sure that threads circulate?

If a thread does not circulate what is the reporting method?

Is this the best thread in which to report the problem or is there a different thread?

Monday, March 26, 2018 1:32 AM
  • I am sure that most people don't care.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Monday, March 26, 2018 2:08 AM