Vista won't allow a logon so I post from my highly reliable Mac OSX machine RRS feed

• Question

• My daughter was forced to purchase a Dell machine with Vista in order to obtain campus support from Quinnipiac, Dell and Microsoft.  We've had almost no uptime in the month she has been at school.  I have the same Dell 630 machine running XP for work and have had no problems at all. 

After the hardware problems that removed the first 2 weeks of uptime at school she has now booted up and logged on to Vi$ta which informs her that the money we spent on the machine and operating system is not "genuine" enough to allow her to login.   Regardless of typing the  key in that is on the bottom of the machine we are told it is not a valid version of Windows Vista.

She cannot login, she cannot click on "use at reduced functionality" because that too winds up in "logging off" as the message.

Tell us how to login and avoid this problem since we have purchased the entire machine from Dell and Quinnipiac University.

Saturday, October 6, 2007 2:52 AM

Answers

• I had the same problem with my Hp notebook,
    First you need the alphanumeric key of your Vista OS, you can found it down in your notebook
    later go to Type a different product key and put the alphanumeric key.
    later go to activate by phone, put your country and later will be appear the number phone that you can call and 54 number that you need to enter by the key of your phone, al last the system will communicate with an employer and he will give you a 54 numbers to activate the product

Saturday, October 6, 2007 6:22 PM
  • Hello Garry,

All my troubleshooting techniques depend on your ability to use the "Access computer with reduced functionality" option. If that is not working, my only two suggestions are:

1) Create a (no cost) WGA support request at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52029

or

2) Use the Windows Restore CD (or Windows Restore partition on the laptops hard drive) as outline in the documentation provided by Dell. (This would probably be the fastest resolution to your issue.)

Without knowing more details, my best guess is that because of your inability to the "Access computer with reduced functionality" option, that some files, within Vista, may have become corrupt (in which case I would suggest option 2 above) or that the the "hardware problems", that you mentioned, may have caused the Dell Pre-installed version of Vista to not recognize that the laptop as a Dell and since that version of Vista was engineered to only work on Dell motherboards, it is displaying those errors.

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager

Monday, October 8, 2007 10:28 PM

All replies

• I had the same problem with my Hp notebook,
    First you need the alphanumeric key of your Vista OS, you can found it down in your notebook
    later go to Type a different product key and put the alphanumeric key.
    later go to activate by phone, put your country and later will be appear the number phone that you can call and 54 number that you need to enter by the key of your phone, al last the system will communicate with an employer and he will give you a 54 numbers to activate the product

Saturday, October 6, 2007 6:22 PM
  • Hello Garry,

All my troubleshooting techniques depend on your ability to use the "Access computer with reduced functionality" option. If that is not working, my only two suggestions are:

1) Create a (no cost) WGA support request at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52029

or

2) Use the Windows Restore CD (or Windows Restore partition on the laptops hard drive) as outline in the documentation provided by Dell. (This would probably be the fastest resolution to your issue.)

Without knowing more details, my best guess is that because of your inability to the "Access computer with reduced functionality" option, that some files, within Vista, may have become corrupt (in which case I would suggest option 2 above) or that the the "hardware problems", that you mentioned, may have caused the Dell Pre-installed version of Vista to not recognize that the laptop as a Dell and since that version of Vista was engineered to only work on Dell motherboards, it is displaying those errors.

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager

Monday, October 8, 2007 10:28 PM
  • Thanks for the response.  Given the limited time of her being home for the weekend I opted for the reimage using the Dell DVDs but my big concern is that it will happen in a month again.  She told me at one point Vista asked to be validated and she went through the whole thing and ultimately it told her the copy of Vista was genuine and she was on her merry way.  She estimated it was 3-4 weeks ago so that would have been just after the machine was fixed by Dell.  The fix was a new motherboard and CPU.  This is the brand new Dell 630, nothing old.

My problem with all of this is Vista seems so locked down that it fails-shut rather than open.  If you can't really boot the OS that's one thing but if you are able to limp along but you get locked out of the box because Vista detects "something is not right" then you're very hosed.  Not that teaching her the value of a backup isn't a good lesson but she refuses to store anything on the laptop and puts all work on USB keys because she just doesn't trust the thing anymore. 

Tuesday, October 9, 2007 2:01 PM