none
Insert Code has gotten worse in past few days RRS feed

• Question

• 1.  Insert code now strips all double line breaks in formatting.

2. Any attempts to edit text in coed box before insertioon cuase changes to be inserted in arbitrary locations. Try entering a carriage return and cursor joumps to middle of line and inserts return (VB.NET)

3.  The whole edit process for the forum has now become very frustrating.

4. Inserting any text into edit box for forum reply will leave the curosr at the beginning of the inserted line instead of at the end of the inserted text.

FORUM: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ITCG

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Monday, March 12, 2012 7:17 PM

Answers

All replies

• Nothing has changed in the app since the 2/27 update. Try ctrl F5, maybe there's a bad file cached. Some of the issues above we are working on fixing since reported last month.  Can you video capture the problem you are seeing and post a link to it on skydrive so we can more specifically see the problems?

Community Forums Program Manager

Monday, March 12, 2012 11:46 PM
    Answerer
  • Nothing has changed in the app since the 2/27 update. Try ctrl F5, maybe there's a bad file cached. Some of the issues above we are working on fixing since reported last month.  Can you video capture the problem you are seeing and post a link to it on skydrive so we can more specifically see the problems?

Community Forums Program Manager

Sorry I don't have video capture set up on this machine.

This has been happening for the last month at least but it seems to be getting worse. It happens on all MS forums. It also come and goes so it may be an issue related to the particular server that I am connected to.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Monday, March 12, 2012 11:56 PM
  • As an update teh screens are contionuiing to mis behave.  ON selecting'Reply' I get an error on teh page about missing objects.  It I refresh the page the error goes away.  If I insert lines with HTML the error may return forcing a refresh.

I have cleared the cache and reloded the page many times.  The issue continues.

This has always happened since the sites were changed some time ago it just seems to be happening more often now.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 4:37 PM
  • Okay. Let's dig deeper.

What browser are you using? What's your system like? What do you mean by "server"? Are you working via a remote connection?

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 12:17 AM
    Owner
  • Okay. Let's dig deeper.

What browser are you using? What's your system like? What do you mean by "server"? Are you working via a remote connection?

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

1. IE8
    2. XPSP3
    3. By server I mean web server - the web server to which I am connected.

I believe this server is one of many that can serve forum pages; of course there may be only one, which would explain why it is so damn slow at times.

Today I didn't get the error flag but am getting the old 'bold everything' issue which is when I highlight a word and click 'B' to make it bold everything in the current paragraph becomes bold.  Once this happens then any edits cause the text to become oddly formatted.  I suspect this is happening because the HTML is now broken.  Similar to when the HTML gets broken and the cursor cannot move beyond the end of the last line.  Hitting enter does nothing and moving the insertion point forward and hitting enter causes the cursor(insertion point) to jump to the very beginning of the reply text.

I am going to switch to a new machine and account and try this more to see if it continues.  It has happened on two copies of IE8 and one of IE9 a couple of weeks ago so I don't believe it is my machine.  Anything is possible so - since you are interest4ed - I will perform some more extensive testing on a different machine.

Right now I see an error has just happened with it's lillte yello exclamation mark.  This is the current error:

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; .NET CLR 3.5.21022; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; MS-RTC LM 8; InfoPath.2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; OfficeLiveConnector.1.5; OfficeLivePatch.1.3; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E)
    Timestamp: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 00:49:23 UTC

Line: 74995169
    Char: 18471
    Code: 0
    URI: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/thread/298eface-4d05-4395-ac4a-ca7a8d77642c/

Now there is nothing that my machine can do to cause that.  I think this may happen whenever there is an Ajax update to the annunciators on the page. The lists on the right hand side of the page seem to be dynamic.

Now that I see the error I will copy all of my response and try to 'submit' the response.  About half of the time the submission will fail after the error message is displayed. 

NOTE: - the submission did not fail this time but there is a new error:

Same error again:

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; .NET CLR 3.5.21022; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; MS-RTC LM 8; InfoPath.2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; OfficeLiveConnector.1.5; OfficeLivePatch.1.3; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E)
    Timestamp: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 00:54:23 UTC

Line: 74995169
    Char: 18471
    URI: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/thread/298eface-4d05-4395-ac4a-ca7a8d77642c/

30 seconds later I hit 'page refresh' and edit the reply (this edit).  The error is gone.  

I am sure if I keep typing the error will come back.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Edited by jrv Wednesday, March 14, 2012 12:55 AM
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 12:53 AM
  • Error code of page failure has changed.

I get the following errro in groups.

Line: 152601969
    Char: 16947
    URI: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ITCG/thread/b5072ddc-9261-4591-be9d-ab2dc8931fa0/

After teh first error the cursor becomes stuck and cannot add new line to edit box.  Text alaredy entre4red can be edited but when  cursor is at end of last line the return key has no effect.

HTML of box appears normal but cursor is after last </p>.

This has become a constant headache.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sunday, March 18, 2012 7:46 AM
  • Is anyone else experiencing this? Can anyone repro?

Thanks!

Thursday, March 29, 2012 6:22 AM
    Owner
  • I continue to get this error message.

Line: 143175761
    Char: 3762
    URI: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ITCG/thread/08b342b3-ddd9-4929-a1f9-af9c295631e2

Very big line number here -> 143175761

After this error the editing can get very bad and the page can become unresponsive.  A refresh will usually fix the issue until it happens again.  It seems to happen more often when the forums are busy but can happen even late at night when it appears that the forum is quiet and the servers are responsive.

Inserts nearly always produce issues.  I havetried it in IE8 and IE9 on Xp and Win 7 and the same issues occur.  Th einsertion point gets stuck at teh beginning of teh inserted text.  Moving it to the end will likely not allow new text to be entered.  If I edit teh HTML on the page and add a <p> at the end it will make the page editable again.

Similar issue with bolding.  Highlighting a bit of text andclicking on the B item will either bold everything from the beginning of teh highlightted region to the end of teh text box or it will refuse to bold anything.  Adding a <b> into the HTML will sometimes allow the text to be bolded correctly.

Something in the script that reformats the edit box seams to be inserting broken HTML into the edit stream.

I suspect that some of the issues may be related to the dynamic updates (Ajax?) to the right sidepanel (Stastistics and other info).  This updates less frequently when the forum is not busy.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sunday, April 1, 2012 9:37 AM
  • If the machines you've tried it on are all on the same network (i.e. through the same router), can you try it on a different computer on a different network? I'm wondering if perhaps all your computers have the same IE add-on which is causing problems (you can start IE without add-ons through All Programs->Accessories->System Tools->"Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)"). You could also try another browser. Or at the worst, and definitely an outside chance, maybe your router has had its DNS settings changed maliciously.
    Sunday, April 1, 2012 5:47 PM

This is an insertion test

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ITCG/?sort=lastpostdesc&filter=unread

With no addons the insertion point still ends up in from of the inserted text.

Select and bold test for a part of a text block.

The word 'bold' was highlighted but now everything from that point on is bolded uunless I insert a </strong> into the HTML.  Here it is again:

NOw that I have fixed teh first error thsi will work correctly.  If you inspect the HTML after the first bolding attempt you will see <strong>text,,,,more <strong>

Note that the closing tag is both in the wrong spot and is NOT a closing tag.  The seacond tag is added at the end of all of the text up to the end of the current <p>

The last issue that occurs is when the edit text cannot be added to for some odd reason.  It is intermittent and prevents teh insertion of any text at teh end of teh text entry box.  Insertions can be made anywhere before the end. I have not been able to figure out how to force this to happen but it does on all machines on all netoworks Win7, XP and IE8/9.

I ma testing this with Addons disabeled and all of teh above still happens. 

Since nearly all of the formatting in teh edit box is done by Javascript I suspect a bug in the js code.  Th ecode seems to calculate locations incorrectly as witnessed by the referenced line number in the error report I posted.

I will continue to run with no addons for a while to see if I can force the error.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sunday, April 1, 2012 6:15 PM
  • I see someone ( Naomi) is in a big hurry to get rid of this issue.

No that was not an answer; it was a suggestion which so far has not pervented the probelms that can be easily reproduced from happening.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sunday, April 1, 2012 6:18 PM

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ITCG/?sort=lastpostdesc&filter=unread

The word 'bold' was highlighted but now everything from that point on is bolded uunless I insert a </strong> into the HTML.  Here it is again:

NOw that I have fixed teh first error thsi will work correctly.  If you inspect the HTML after the first bolding attempt you will see <strong>text,,,,more <strong>

Note that the closing tag is both in the wrong spot and is NOT a closing tag.  The seacond tag is added at the end of all of the text up to the end of the current <p>

The last issue that occurs is when the edit text cannot be added to for some odd reason.  It is intermittent and prevents teh insertion of any text at teh end of teh text entry box.  Insertions can be made anywhere before the end. I have not been able to figure out how to force this to happen but it does on all machines on all netoworks Win7, XP and IE8/9.

Since nearly all of the formatting in teh edit box is done by Javascript I suspect a bug in the js code.  Th ecode seems to calculate locations incorrectly as witnessed by the referenced line number in the error report I posted.

I will continue to run with no addons for a while to see if I can force the error.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Is it only on the social.technet.microsoft.com forums that you get these errors? Can you try something in this thread to see if it goes wrong here too?

As no-one else is reporting the errors you see and with the number of typos in your reply (e.g. "the" is almost consistently coming out as "teh"), could it be that you are pressing some other keys accidentally, or just typing too fast for the edit box to keep up? I do find it necessary sometimes to wait for the editing window to load completely.

--
    Andrew

Sunday, April 1, 2012 6:45 PM

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Is it only on the social.technet.microsoft.com forums that you get these errors? Can you try something in this thread to see if it goes wrong here too?

As no-one else is reporting the errors you see and with the number of typos in your reply (e.g. "the" is almost consistently coming out as "teh"), could it be that you are pressing some other keys accidentally, or just typing too fast for the edit box to keep up? I do find it necessary sometimes to wait for the editing window to load completely.

--
    Andrew

That is where I posted this and had it do the failuer so you could see it.  If you follow the instructions I suspect you will see the same thing.

Later I will do more tests on IE9 and on other machines but I suspect it will be the same.

I have not experienced the lockout on this forum but it happens almost once a day on the ITCG forum. Of courcse I don't post much here.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sunday, April 1, 2012 7:24 PM
  • Well, I found that answer helpful, that's why I proposed it. I do believe you that the issue exists, I don't experience it myself, although I don't usually try to use B/I buttons (I think last time I tried it worked somewhat weird).

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Monday, April 2, 2012 3:10 AM
  • Well, I found that answer helpful, that's why I proposed it. I do believe you that the issue exists, I don't experience it myself, although I don't usually try to use B/I buttons (I think last time I tried it worked somewhat weird).

My blog

Naomi - hi. 

You dins't mark it s helpful you marked it as an answer.

Weird is an understatement. It is completely aggravating.  I live with it because there seems to be no other choice.  Others complain constantly but don't post here about it.

Well - at least you admit it is not normal.  I guess that is a step towards getting it fixed.

Thanks.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Monday, April 2, 2012 3:16 AM
  • I usually mark an answer as proposed answer when I like it. I use 'Vote as Helpful' button not as often.

My blog

Monday, April 2, 2012 3:45 AM
  • I trapped the HTML that nlocks teh addition of text into teh edit box:

dir *.* -recurse | ?{$_.LastWriteTime -lt (Get-Date).AddYears(-1)} | remove-item -whatif<br />
    dir *.* -recurse | ?{$_.LastWriteTime -lt (Get-Date).AddYears(-3)} | remove-item -whatif<br />
    dir *.* -recurse | ?{$_.LastWriteTime -lt (Get-Date).AddYears(-10)} | remove-item -whatif&nbsp; 

Note that it has no paragraph settings and ends in a &nbsp;.  If I delete the &nbspl then text can be added.

( I added the linefeeds to the HTML so it would be readable in the broken HTML syntax highlighter.)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Monday, April 2, 2012 7:51 PM
  • For the last two days the paste of text or links into the edit box now work as expected.  The insertion point is now placed at the end of the inserted item.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/thread/298eface-4d05-4395-ac4a-ca7a8d77642c/

Like that - If I hit a return after the paste it places a newline after the link instead of jumping to the first character of the text in the box.

Trying to highlight and bold a bit of text still doesn't work. It causes the remainder of the line and at time all of the remaining text to be bolded.

I just noticed that it seems to work correctly on this site but not on ITCG forum.

I also have not had the edit box get locked so I have to delete the &nbsp; at the end of the HTML.  It was intermittent in the past but usually happened one or two times a day.  Maybe I just haven't hit the sequesnr that causes this to happen.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thursday, April 12, 2012 8:25 PM
  • Qwll I was wrong. The lockup still occurs along with this error which I calim cannot be caused by teh web browser but is causes by teh serevr.

Line: 1
    Char: 66572
    URI: http://i1.social.s-msft.com/Forums/RequestReduceContent/d2e038e24d7da572265d61b40b66250e-6e0a86860b436266790e4c395455ac79-RequestReducedScript.js

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Friday, April 13, 2012 12:01 AM
  • For the last two days the paste of text or links into the edit box now work as expected.  The insertion point is now placed at the end of the inserted item.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/thread/298eface-4d05-4395-ac4a-ca7a8d77642c/

Like that - If I hit a return after the paste it places a newline after the link instead of jumping to the first character of the text in the box.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Let's discuss this one. I'm going to paste in your link:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/thread/298eface-4d05-4395-ac4a-ca7a8d77642c/<o:p></o:p>

It worked as expected for me. I got my cursor to appear after the link when I paste it in. I expect it to appear there. You expect it to jump back to the first character in the edit box? I might be thoroughly confused, but if I'm not, then I think this is by design.

Regarding the ITCG forum, can you provide a link that I can use to test on a thread of yours?

Thanks!

Friday, April 13, 2012 2:53 PM
    Owner
  • Ed -my post says that that has not happened for the last few days.  Something seems to have changed around last weekend and since then it hsa been behaving "normally".

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Friday, April 13, 2012 6:08 PM
  • Powershell syntax highlighter goes completely bonkers after about 20 lines.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ITCG/thread/399ca81b-af14-40bd-bc3f-0a384e5bf075#79180a72-ca35-4cad-88d1-72cc491a7f71

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Saturday, April 14, 2012 7:14 PM
  • Ed -my post says that that has not happened for the last few days.  Something seems to have changed around last weekend and since then it hsa been behaving "normally".

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just to be clear, this appears to be fixed now?

Thanks!

Friday, April 20, 2012 6:10 PM
    Owner

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just to be clear, this appears to be fixed now?

Thanks!

Nope - it happened again today.

I looked at but forgot to copy the HTML.  It was full of class="pun" statements around a piece of text I copied and pasted from another users post.  After the paste the caret would not go past the end of the last line and hitting <enter> would not add a line.  I added a <p> to the end and it started working again.

If it only happens once a week I won't care.  When it happens continuously it is very annoying.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Friday, April 20, 2012 8:13 PM
  • Nope - it happened again today.

I looked at but forgot to copy the HTML.  It was full of class="pun" statements around a piece of text I copied and pasted from another users post.  After the paste the caret would not go past the end of the last line and hitting <enter> would not add a line.  I added a <p> to the end and it started working again.

If it only happens once a week I won't care.  When it happens continuously it is very annoying.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Still once a week is a bug. Do we know if a bug has been filed on this?

Thanks!

Friday, April 20, 2012 11:55 PM
    Owner
  • Nope - it happened again today.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Still once a week is a bug. Do we know if a bug has been filed on this?

Thanks!

Ed - I don't know if there has been a bug reported.  I though this forum was for that.

I also thought that the bug happened mostly when the servers were busy but it seems to happen even when they should not be busy.

It also appears that posters coming in from outside of the US can paste code and it will retain spaces and blank lines correctly but anywhere I post from the blank lines get stripped out.

Could this be due to different character sets or culture settings? Is the code editor written in Javascript outside of the US? We use CrLf but other platforms and cultures may use LF or CR or LfCr I believe.

Maybe Unicode pastes better.  I usually use workstations that all seem to use only ASCII.

I is very annoying and yet the code editor in the 'Repository' works perfectly.  It highlights the code correctly and does not lose anything.  It will also let me copy code from Visual Studio and PrimalScript - both put HTML on the clipboard - and format it correctly.  If I do this with the forum code editor it will create a complete disaster for the post and, at time, for the whole topic.  I have seen it cause everything after the post become unreadable.  Finding and deleting the post will fix it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Monday, April 30, 2012 1:54 PM
  • My theory is that different people have a different experience based on which server they get forum code from.

I recently experienced an old problem, where the scroll bar in code blocks obscurred the last line of code (or all of the code if there was one line). That was last reported in February, then fixed. I saw this behavior again about April 20, but no one else seemed to. I restarted IE and my computer many times, but nothing worked. Then one day the problem was fixed. I also recently noticed that my HTML was rendered differently, where my style specification was stripped away. Again this was similar to what I experienced months ago. Again, it went away after a few days. Unless there have been several forum code updates in the last week, the only explanation is that I'm getting different code from different servers.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Monday, April 30, 2012 3:19 PM
  • Richard.  I have seen the style stripping at least once on the forum.

I have seen that issue on may other web sites.  I cannot get a handle on what causes it.  It may be because of faulty caching servers.  Most of the static things like style sheets and graphics are forward cached by a service like Akamai.  If the ISP loses a link to the cache you are currently connecting to you may not get it back until the problem is fixed.

The edit behavior and other display issues may also come from the cache. If the script files are forward cached and an issue occurs then they may not get distributed.  If the page calls for an update to the js code (ASP.NEY and AJAX) you may get an issue with no style or broken style.

The issue I am experiencing could be because of issues like this but more likely, due to the consistency of the failure, it is probably due to bad code.

Hopefully the developers Will understand the post and be able to reproduce it.  If it is due to caching it will be very hard to fix without being able to debug from behind a bad caching server.

I have tried flushing my cache used the developer tools but it didn't help.  Either the page/code is bad on the cache/server or there is a bug in the code. In a few days I will switch my posting over to IE9 and see if that works better.  I believe IE9 renders CSS2 better than earlier versions.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Monday, April 30, 2012 3:45 PM
  • Well it didn't take long for it to break today.

Here is the HTML that causes the caret to get stuck and not move past the end of the last character on the last line.  I can move up and back to the end and edit anything but not past the end.  The characters are being managed by the code so it can do character editing.  This is never easy without an ActiveX control.

Here is the offending HTML:

<p>Another quick way out of this dilemma.</p><p>If InStr(line, "TOTAL:") Then<br />&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; a = split(line," ")<br />&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <strong>total </strong>= Replace(line."TOTAL:","")<br />End If&nbsp; </p>

Notice there is not formatting which is OK but, if you scroll all the way to the end you Will see a blank space.

<br />End If&nbsp; </p>

It is right before the < after the nbsp.  I deeted that and updated the HTML and could then edit past the last line.  Someting is stuffing odd character into the HTML.  Lathough it might just be a character counting proble.  I have seen that before.  The counter for position is off by one so it looses wher the actual end is.  When we want to moe forward it willalways put the char into teh buffer after the end of the buffer.

Here is the error messgae that occurs when that happens.

Webpage error details
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; .NET CLR 3.5.21022; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; MS-RTC LM 8; InfoPath.2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; OfficeLiveConnector.1.5; OfficeLivePatch.1.3; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E; MS-RTC EA 2)
    Timestamp: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 15:55:34 UTC
    Char: 104109
    URI: http://i1.social.s-msft.com/Forums/RequestReduceContent/d2e038e24d7da572265d61b40b66250e-6e0a86860b436266790e4c395455ac79-RequestReducedScript.js

It repeats teh same error over and over ewach time I try to go beyond the end.  It is in a js file when it happens and I guarantee you it is a position counter problem,

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Monday, April 30, 2012 4:09 PM
  • Both of the problems I just described have returned for me today. I have no idea how it happens.

Monday, April 30, 2012 4:11 PM
  • Both of the problems I just described have returned for me today. I have no idea how it happens.

Gremlins.  They like Mondays;)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Monday, April 30, 2012 4:18 PM