OneCare Won't Start After Update to 2.0 RRS feed

• Question

• I used this information and it seems to have worked.  It did not work on the first restart after I had followed the instructions and I had to start OneCare via the command prompt.  On the second restart it started up correctly.  This has been very odd because the problem occured on my husband's computer but not on mine.  We have identical computers (different software applications) with Vista Home Premium (32bit).  I am hoping that this has resolved the problem for good.  It has been a very frustrating experience because getting to a help source is very convoluted.  Surely, Microsoft can offered to provide better help to their subscribers.  However, the Forum was a help but there is so much data that you have to wade through before you can find what you need. 

While I am here I have two questions:

One of the messages stated that uninstalling the NVIDA corrected a firewall conflict (which I don't have since I used the information above) so the question is:

1.  If I uninstalled the NVIDA controller would this affect my network?

In my efforts to try and correct this problem I tried to create a problem log (to send to OneCare) but received the message that it could not create the log and I needed to free up space on my C: drive (I have 164GB free):

1. Wouldn't this be enough space for a zipped file (which I understand is what is created) or do I have still another issue?

Thank you,

Zeke

Thursday, January 17, 2008 8:33 PM

Answers

• It is working on the PC that I designated as the Hub but it isn't working on the other PC or rather it is only working intermittently.  I had to restart twice this morning and then it only start if I used the Command Prompt per the information found in the original thread for this subject.

I am really ready to call it quits as I can't get to anyone who can help.  I am concerned about uninstalling and reinstalling because I think I will just end up with the same problems.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Zekey

Friday, January 18, 2008 5:24 PM

All replies

• Is it working fine on both PCs now?

On your first question, if you don't have a problem with the firewall being unable to start, then the item about that specific NVIDIA driver package does not apply to you. This is the driver package for the LAN port on the motherboard that includes a firewall component.

I don't know why the support log creation failed. That certainly sounds like a false message to me.

-steve

Friday, January 18, 2008 1:54 AM
  • It is working on the PC that I designated as the Hub but it isn't working on the other PC or rather it is only working intermittently.  I had to restart twice this morning and then it only start if I used the Command Prompt per the information found in the original thread for this subject.

I am really ready to call it quits as I can't get to anyone who can help.  I am concerned about uninstalling and reinstalling because I think I will just end up with the same problems.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Zekey

Friday, January 18, 2008 5:24 PM
  • I wouldn't reinstall again, but I just read an interesting solution by Tivo Fool in this thread - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2665103&SiteID=2

If that doesn't resolve it, then I would suggest using the workaround you are currently using until the next OneCare update that is supposed to address the startup problems among other things. I mention the current information we have about this update here - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2707364&SiteID=2

-steve

Saturday, January 19, 2008 2:58 AM