remote access via webbrowser doesnt work RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

i've got the problem, that the remote access via the webbrowser does not work. I see the logon page and i can enter a user and a password. But then the weblogon says that the username or password is incorrect and i cannot login.

Maybe someone can help me.

Thanks.

Monday, March 26, 2007 11:25 PM

Answers

• Hi,

___

When your on the local network with your WHS bring up your webbrowser on a client machine and type "server" into the url. You should be greeted with a WHS main page with "login" in the upper right hand corner. Click on "login" and enter a username/password that a) is not the administrator b) is a username that has a non-blank password.

If that does not work, bring up the WHS client console. Go to the user accounts tab, choose the user you tried to log in as, hit properties, click 'change password', and try the above again.

___

That is what i have done already but without solving the problem.

___

Does the message explicitly say it's a password mismatch? Can you try to reset the password of that user from WHS console? If it doesn't help, can you look at the windows event log and see if there is any error/warning message?

___

The message says exactly name or password incorrect. I have already changed the password but this doesnt help. In the event log is no entry.

edit: I made the mistake. Now it is working. I connected the server to my home-domain....didnt know that this is not supported / allowed. Found it in the eventlog. Sorry.

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 10:58 AM

All replies

• Does the user you are trying to log on as have remote access enabled?
    Monday, March 26, 2007 11:57 PM
  • Yes of course it has. I even tried to disable and enable it but without success. The user is also listed under "remote" in the "my computer" properties.

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 12:47 AM
  • Can you access the page within your home network?
    Tuesday, March 27, 2007 12:55 AM
  • HeckMc lets run through a few simple things to see if we can pinpoint where the problem is.

When your on the local network with your WHS bring up your webbrowser on a client machine and type "server" into the url. You should be greeted with a WHS main page with "login" in the upper right hand corner. Click on "login" and enter a username/password that a) is not the administrator b) is a username that has a non-blank password.

If that does not work, bring up the WHS client console. Go to the user accounts tab, choose the user you tried to log in as, hit properties, click 'change password', and try the above again.

Should that work, try from outside the lan.

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 1:24 AM
  • Lyme and Joel, Got the same problem and it was working OK last week. Tried a couple of things including the password change and tweaking the IIS and WHS services to allow any computer access, cleaning out the w3 log files, and giving the Network Service rights. The servers security event log looks like everything is connecting and working OK but it doesn't complete the connection. Doesn't make any difference if your right on the server or from a client machine, still get the same problem.

I'm going to rebuild the server anyway so will be interesting to see if it works again after that. Can't nail down exactly when it broke but I have made some changes and am keeping test records so will add the test of the web access to my post change WHS testing. I added one new XP workstation and one new Vista Home Premium as clients on the WHS and added two more drives to the servers storage pool. Did not add any user new user account to the server.

Keep-On-Testing

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 8:02 AM
  •  lcflyer wrote:

Lyme and Joel, Got the same problem and it was working OK last week.

Hi lcflyer:

before you swipe your Q box, can you quick check one thing:

run "compmgmt.msc", go to local users and groups, check that whether your user is marked as "must change password when next log on" or not. If the answer is yes, uncheck it may solve the problem.
    Tuesday, March 27, 2007 9:26 AM
  • Hi, HeckMc,

Does the message explicitly say it's a password mismatch? Can you try to reset the password of that user from WHS console? If it doesn't help, can you look at the windows event log and see if there is any error/warning message?

Thanks,

Fan

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 10:31 AM
  • Hi,

___

___

That is what i have done already but without solving the problem.

___

___

The message says exactly name or password incorrect. I have already changed the password but this doesnt help. In the event log is no entry.

edit: I made the mistake. Now it is working. I connected the server to my home-domain....didnt know that this is not supported / allowed. Found it in the eventlog. Sorry.

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 10:58 AM
  • Hey fezhou, Thanks for the suggestion, but had already checked all the user account settings for anything not normal. All my accounts are set to password never expires. I did get it working by using the task bar icon, attaching to the WHS Console, creating a brand new user (with new password and remote access rights) and then trying a web login. WA-LA, success. Will need to debug why my initial account I had setup just quit working thru the web logon. I am testing a few other functions with WHS Console and also RDP so will explain the details later. Have to run out for a while right now.

FYI for anyone, WHS uses standard Windows 2003 server terminal services admin where you can only have 2 sessions active to the server at any time. Can be any combination of RDP or WHS Consoles, but only two so don't leave a couple of sessions active and then go out expect to connect from somewhere else to control or work on your server. 

Keep-On-Testing

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 11:23 PM