WebFoldersShare RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to make the WebFoldersShare (I can access it through my xxx.xxx.homeserver.com) accessible with encountering the user/password dialog box?  I want to be able to make my page which looks like this http://prntscr.com/401l . 

Pros and Cons??? 
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 1:05 AM

All replies

• Con: ASCAP and BMI (i.e. the music industry) will sue you into the ground. This is a generic comment regarding your plan to share music freely; the industry is qiute happy to sue, consumers lose these suits regularly (or settle out of court, actually) and it's very expensive if you share a lot of music. On the other hand, I approve your taste in music. :)

That said, I assume you're talking about "Web Folders 4 WHS", a Windows Home Server add-in. There's no way I know of to configure it to not require credentials.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 1:17 AM
  • The following is from author of WebFoldersShare.  I emailed him about the above.  I am not likely to attempt it though.

"

I believe… if you enabled anonymous logons to the vdir… you would expose the dfs root to the world…

You might try the following… (which is unfortunately an unsupported and untested scenario)...

Under computer Computer Management -> Services and Applications -> Internet Information Services -> Web Sites -> Default Web Site

Right click on Default Web Site and choose Properties, select the Directory Security Tab and click the Edit button under “authentication and access control”.

Next, check the “Enable anonymous access”, and uncheck “Basic authentication” and click OK.

This should then expose the dfs root to the web... however after this you are into a whole permission related issue where the user the vdir is running may not have permission to the folders/shares in question… and may need to be adjusted. The biggest problem here is that depending on the user this is changed to, you could find yourself exposing far more local access to the world than you want.

Thursday, February 18, 2010 2:12 PM