WHS as a way to image system volumes RRS feed

• Question

• I have had some spectacular failures when attempting to create a clone of a system volume using Western Digital Data Lifeguard tools, Maxblast or Ghost. One such experience with a dual-boot volume running XP Pro SP2 and Vista Ultimate recently led me to try backing up the volume to WHS, then restoring the volume to a new hard drive. Worked like a charm.

The volume initially had XP installed on it. Later a second hard drive was added to the machine due to space limitations on the system volume. Then Vista Ultimate was installed on the second hard drive. After cloning the system volume with WD Data Lifeguard the new drive wouldn't offer the same choices in the Windows Boot Manager as it had previously (Earlier Version of Windows or Vista). It would offer Windows default or Windows default. Only XP could be booted.

I installed the Connector on the subject computer, created an account in WHS and backed up the two drives. Then only the system volume was restored to the larger replacement drive.

WHS restored the system volume from its backup without a hitch, and the proper choices of

Earlier Version of Windows or Vista showed up in Windows Boot Manager on startup. In future I will use the WHS method to clone system volumes as it is easily understood, unlike Ghost, and trouble-free.

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 11:47 PM

Answers

• Cool. Thanks for the positive feedback!
    Thursday, June 28, 2007 4:53 PM