Automated backups - what are the requirements? RRS feed

• Question

• I am having some problems with the automated backup feature of WHS.  Can anyone list the requirements and settings of the client PC to successfully be able to use this feature?

• I have two Windows XP SP2 machines with the WHS client installed. 
    • Both machines hibernate after a period of inactivity. 
    • I changed the backup schedule of WHS to be after 1:00 AM. 
    • One machine is successfully backed up consistently by WHS every night. 
    • The other machine has never been backed up by the automated WHS process.
    • I successfully performed a manual backup of the problem client using the WHS administrative screen.

Is there any settings with the network card (power management) that may prevent the WHS from remotely starting the problem client?  Does the client installation change the network card power management settings to enable remote start of the client?  Is there any log files or other troubleshooting tools that can be used to diagnose the problem?

Thanks

Friday, February 23, 2007 4:19 PM

Answers

• The server has a backup window that it will attempt to backup all of the PCs that have the Windows Home Server Connector installed on with the following setup:
      • Powered on - can be in sleep/hibernate, Wake on LAN is not supported.
      • Are not on battery power
      • The hard drives are formatted with the NTFS file system, FAT is not supported
    • Backups happen in a serial manner, 1 at a time
      • If you initiate a manual backup from multiple machines at the same time, one will start and the other backups will sit in a queue waiting for the first one to finish, then the 2nd one starts, etc.

Please submit a bug via Connect with the TALQ logs for the PC that is not being backed up.  Thanks

Monday, February 26, 2007 4:04 PM

All replies

• As far as I know the only hard requirements for backups right now is that there should not be more than one backup scheduled for the same time as it causes problems and that the machines to be backed up have to be on even if in a low power state. The only gotcha is that laptops have to be on AC power in order to backup so that the battery isn't drained during a backup.
    Friday, February 23, 2007 4:29 PM
  • Could check BIOS to see that Wake On LAN, if an option, is enabled.
    Friday, February 23, 2007 4:30 PM
  • On the second machine make sure the backup time is different than the one that is currently backing up

Rick

Friday, February 23, 2007 4:31 PM
  • Can you actually specify a different time for each client?

I thought you could only give a range of backup times for the WHS to perform backups.

Friday, February 23, 2007 4:48 PM
  • yea i thought the same also
    Monday, February 26, 2007 11:26 AM
  • You can't specify a different time for each PC but as far as I can tell, WHS will not initiate more than one backup at a time on its own. So you mostly just have to make sure two manual backups don't try to run at the same time.
    Monday, February 26, 2007 2:04 PM
    • The server has a backup window that it will attempt to backup all of the PCs that have the Windows Home Server Connector installed on with the following setup:
      • Powered on - can be in sleep/hibernate, Wake on LAN is not supported.
      • Are not on battery power
      • The hard drives are formatted with the NTFS file system, FAT is not supported
    • Backups happen in a serial manner, 1 at a time
      • If you initiate a manual backup from multiple machines at the same time, one will start and the other backups will sit in a queue waiting for the first one to finish, then the 2nd one starts, etc.

Please submit a bug via Connect with the TALQ logs for the PC that is not being backed up.  Thanks

Monday, February 26, 2007 4:04 PM