MS CRM 2013 HTML 5 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have developed few .Net pages for MSCRM 2011 nd we are using same in CRM 2013 as well.

Example: 1. Customer over view pages..we are showing complete information into single view as a .Net page it's contains showing some .net charts as well. I have written some few sql quaries joins to fetch the data..

2.Product matching creteria i have developed one .Net page based on the customer preference  creating opportunity for that particular product.

is it any other way to do without using .net pages.. beacuse we are hosting the application in IIS and calling the same rite.. insted of this any other possibilities except silvelight application..

using html odata is it possible to do?

-Regards,

Rammohan

Friday, July 18, 2014 4:53 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You can very much use HTML web resources instead of .aspx pages. It'll make your pages lighter and the OData REST API can be used. However, OData API has limitations on the operations restricting it to basic CRUD operations. The joins that you've performed using SQL Queries, you'll need to check of you can do the same using OData. Download the OData Query Designer and do a analysis as to if all your data fetch/crud operations are met.

Admin QuikView Solution for CRM 2013

Friday, July 18, 2014 5:16 AM
  • Hi Dynamotion,

Can you please give me very samll example

with odata query with page.

Thanks

Rammohan

Friday, July 18, 2014 6:40 AM
  • Hi,

I didn't get what you meant by HCL Page. But if you download the CRM 2013 SDK, and you look into the following location, you'll find an example of how the ODATA Endpoint can be used:

\SDK\SampleCode\JS\RESTEndpoint\JavaScriptRESTDataOperations

Friday, July 18, 2014 7:06 AM
  • Hi,

If i go with .net aspx page what are all advantages are there?

If i use Html 5 what all are the disadvantages are available?

can you please suggest..  html with odata and  .Net pages  which is best one?

Rammohan

Monday, July 21, 2014 6:31 AM
  • Hi,

Its better to go with HTML5 and OData because:

1. It's lightweight since all you'd be writing is JavaScript.

2. No need to "host" it as such, since all would essentially be web-resources. So it works for online and on-premise without having anything to host the pages.

3. When you're making OData calls (from inside Dynamics CRM), authentication is carried out automatically using the logged in user.

4. Microsoft recommends you start moving from Silverlight apps that you might have to HTML5.

Using .NET based aspx pages have all the above disadvantages, and you'll need to have a server to host the pages, and for Online this means either going to Azure or having your own/partners web servers.

Monday, July 21, 2014 6:46 AM
  • Thanks for your reply dynamotion,

I have already developed .Net pages..  Odta will not support for Multiple entitites for  like joins and lined entitys rite..

for this we need to develope silverlight application  and then we have to call in  html 5 is it correct?

or any other way to do?

Fetch xml  throught we have can linked entity  for diagrams and charts and all we can't able to show it rite?

Rammohan

Monday, July 21, 2014 6:51 AM
  • Hi,

Since you've already developed .NET pages, you can go ahead and host them and reference them from Dynamics CRM.

You don't need to develop any Silverlight app in order to use HTML5. By Silverlight I meant .NET based pages. HTML5 and Odata needs only HTML and JavaScript files (and CSS if necessary).

Monday, July 21, 2014 6:55 AM