Home Server 2011 License question RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to find the Microsoft Home Server License details. I received a call from a new client who is using Home Server 2011 in a business commercial environment and need to clarify what is the correct Home Server license rules. Can Home Server be used in a business commercial enterprise? I realize that it can be used for a home based business but this is not the case. Been trying to find the details on Microsofts site but ...

HTS-MAH

Mike

Thursday, October 11, 2012 12:26 PM

All replies

• You'll find the EULA via this page. Select:

• Pre-installed, because Windows Home Server isn't a retail OS. (There's no shrink wrap version.) So it's never "from a store", even if your client bought the OS from e.g. NewEgg and installed it on his own hardware.
    • Windows Home Server
    • English (probably)

But the relevant bits summarized are that you can't install "line of business" apps, use the server as a Terminal Services server (so that end users can access e.g. Microsoft Office), use it as a domain controller, join it to an existing domain, or add "server roles" not already enabled by Microsoft. (I'll note that just about any business oriented web site is likely to be considered a "line of business" application for the purposes of the EULA.)

Business users should be using Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials (effectively Windows Home Server plus domain join), Windows Small Business Server 2011 Essentials (more users, no media streaming, domain controller option, fewer restrictions), or Windows Server 2012 Essentials, which just hit it's RTM milestone. 

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Thursday, October 11, 2012 1:50 PM
  • On top of what Ken already said:

Windows Home Server can be used as component for two tasks also in (usually small) business environments:

• File sharing (but domain users cannot be used directly to regulate access, you would have to open either guest access or use local user accounts on WHS and configure those in the client PCs under User Accounts/Manage your credentials)
    • automated daily backup of important client PCs

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, October 12, 2012 1:24 PM
  • It's interesting. Based on its terms and conditions, can I install FTP programs(such as serve-u, filezilla ftp server) on it to share files with external users in a business environment?

andy

Friday, October 26, 2012 3:38 AM
  • Andy, I think the answer to this is "no"; it would fall under the same exclusions I mentioned above. You would be better off using a cloud-based file sharing tool, paying a few dollars a month for a private FTP site, or using Windows Server 2012 Essentials, which has fewer restrictions (but is significantly more expensive).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Friday, October 26, 2012 2:44 PM