i need help with the product key validation RRS feed

• Question

• i have a laptop and a friend installed for me windows xp, later on when i tried to update using the windows update tool it worked and i change the product key to the one i had on  my laptop because the product key was invalid when the updater ran the genuine tool, the laptop previously had no windows installed so my friend installed it, and so i change the key to the one that was on the back on the sticker, later on unforetunately my laptop got a virus and it wasnt fixable so i had to format the hard drive and reinstall windows with my friend but when i tried to run the updater and change my product key to the one on the back it said it was already being used. how do i change the product key so that i can use it on my laptop again the same one that is on the back on the sticker
    Thursday, June 14, 2007 1:07 AM

Answers

• Mario32,

The Key Updater Utility is intended to be used only once with a genuine Product Key as a stopgap measure to get you back to being Genuine.

In your circumstances, you will have to acquire the Recovery CD/DVD or genuine Microsoft hologrammed CD that was supplied with the laptop by the manufacturer.

Thursday, June 14, 2007 2:04 AM
  • Mario,

Dan is spot on. Who is the manufacturer of your laptop?  Please look up the manufacture online. Next locate the Technical Support number and give them a call.   Explain your situation and establish a service request (SR) for Reinstallation Recovery Software CDs.  The CS agent should be able to assist with your request and/or questions. If you have any further questions please re-post again. 

Thank you

Stephen Holm

OGA and WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, June 14, 2007 8:25 PM

All replies

• Mario32,

The Key Updater Utility is intended to be used only once with a genuine Product Key as a stopgap measure to get you back to being Genuine.

In your circumstances, you will have to acquire the Recovery CD/DVD or genuine Microsoft hologrammed CD that was supplied with the laptop by the manufacturer.

Thursday, June 14, 2007 2:04 AM
  • Mario,

Dan is spot on. Who is the manufacturer of your laptop?  Please look up the manufacture online. Next locate the Technical Support number and give them a call.   Explain your situation and establish a service request (SR) for Reinstallation Recovery Software CDs.  The CS agent should be able to assist with your request and/or questions. If you have any further questions please re-post again. 

Thank you

Stephen Holm

OGA and WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, June 14, 2007 8:25 PM