WHS Will Not Install Updates RRS feed

• Question

• Even though I have set the updates to auto install, they are not installed.

When I try to use the "install now" button the result is an info box telling me it can't complete and to try later or restart server.

I have restarted the server several time in the last two days all to no avail.

My version shows as 6.0.1800.0 for all except drive extender which is 6.0.1800.8

From what I can learn, I am missing maybe two updates????

Any help to download and update either automatically or manually would be appreciated

Thank you.
    Monday, February 16, 2009 11:01 PM

Answers

• Well, my router died today and I replaced it with a D-Link DIR-625 and now everything works perfectly!!??

Thank you to all who responded to my request.
    • Marked as answer by Stiles Monday, February 23, 2009 6:11 AM
    Monday, February 23, 2009 6:11 AM

All replies

• Stiles said:

Even though I have set the updates to auto install, they are not installed.

When I try to use the "install now" button the result is an info box telling me it can't complete and to try later or restart server.

I have restarted the server several time in the last two days all to no avail.

My version shows as 6.0.1800.0 for all except drive extender which is 6.0.1800.8

From what I can learn, I am missing maybe two updates????

Any help to download and update either automatically or manually would be appreciated

Thank you.

You are missing a couple WHS updates, plus who knows how many Server 2003 updates.

You might try logging into the server desktop and looking at the event logs on the server to see if there is any other information that might clarify what the problem is.
    Monday, February 16, 2009 11:09 PM
  • How do I log into the server desktop?

Tuesday, February 17, 2009 2:32 PM
  • dsosb said:

How do I log into the server desktop?

You can use Remote Desktop Connection.  Type the name of your server in the Computer: field, then hit enter.  Once the Remote Desktop window opens, type Administrator for the username and your server password for password.  (NOTE:  FYI, logging into the server desktop for any reason is unsupported.)
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 12:53 AM
  • Would you please tell me what I might be looking for?

Thank you very much.
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 11:09 PM
  • Stiles said:

Would you please tell me what I might be looking for?

for Windows Update related errors and warnings in the event log (Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Event Viewer).
    You can also try to open Internet Explorer and run Windows Update manually. Be carefull with optional updates, since some of them offered for Windows Server 2003 may not be supported on the WHS platform.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 11:40 PM
  • There's no need to log in to the server desktop to review event logs. The Windows Home Server Toolkit provides this functionality in the console; read the instructions to learn how to install and use it.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, February 20, 2009 1:05 PM
  • After looking at the System event log, I see that there are numerous entries with Error-Date-Time-Windows Update Agent-Software-16.

However, on the 14th it updated about 30 or more items with a designation of 18-19 and then gave an error for Schannel 36870.

On the 20th it gave about 10 errors for terminal services  1111 and then updated 3 items 19-21.

Does this help???

I made a remote connection to the server and it downloaded and installed IE7 and the malicious software removal tool.

When I tried to connect to Windows Update, it would not connect.

Thank you.
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 5:10 AM
  • Hi,
    something seems to be seriously broken. Before going any further in trying to figure out the detailed reasons, I would recommend to perform a server reinstall.
    This is a special installation mode, in which only the system volume gets wiped and the data remains intact. If you do not get a server reinstall offered after booting from the WHS DVD (although the proper mass storage drivers are available), do not continue, since in this case all disks will be formatted.
    Is your server a self build or a OEM built machine? In the later case follow their procedures for server recovery.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 6:38 AM
  • Well, my router died today and I replaced it with a D-Link DIR-625 and now everything works perfectly!!??

Thank you to all who responded to my request.
    • Marked as answer by Stiles Monday, February 23, 2009 6:11 AM
    Monday, February 23, 2009 6:11 AM