Image Of The OS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone, I have WHS setup on a box with 5 drives.

The OS drive is IDE 160GIG and then I have 4 1.5TB drives.

The OS drive is failing and I was going to replace it with a SATA drive, now I have read all sorts of nightmares about replacing your OS drive with WHS. I have noticed if you just replace the drive on the same port on the motherboard then it allows you to do a server re install but if you change from the ports on the board then it will ask you to wipe everything.

So my question is can you do an image of a WHS OS drive and restore that onto a new HDD?

Any help appreciated and yes I have read the lengthy post on replacing your OS drive :)
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 11:15 PM

All replies

• Hi everyone, I have WHS setup on a box with 5 drives.

The OS drive is IDE 160GIG and then I have 4 1.5TB drives.

The OS drive is failing and I was going to replace it with a SATA drive, now I have read all sorts of nightmares about replacing your OS drive with WHS. I have noticed if you just replace the drive on the same port on the motherboard then it allows you to do a server re install but if you change from the ports on the board then it will ask you to wipe everything.

So my question is can you do an image of a WHS OS drive and restore that onto a new HDD?

Any help appreciated and yes I have read the lengthy post on replacing your OS drive :)

Imaging your OS drive is unsupported.  Plus, considering it's already failing, I wouldn't even consider it.  Have you actually tried doing a Server Reinstallation yet?  If you use your SATA drives in IDE/Legacy mode (which is set through the mobo's BIOS), it should work.
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 1:18 AM