Joining WHS to Existing Windows Domain (Yet Again!) RRS feed

• Question

• I know it's been asked but all I'm finding are posts from 2007. (Why doesn't Bing allow date filtering?!)

I've got a Windows Server 2008 network and, like many others, I want to add Windows Home Server to the mix. Has anything changed that might give me an ounce of hope?
    Peter
    Friday, October 9, 2009 10:39 PM

Answers

1. Only if you wish to use the shared folders on the Windows Home Server with other than guest account. Often the Home Server in AD environments is not even used as file server, in this case user accounts are not that important.
    2. Not from the view of client user (if the user accounts are identically or the credentials are stored locally).
    3. Yes - beside the fact, that Remote Access may be limited (assuming the environment does not allow port forwarding to WHS)
    4. No, currently these are not supported by WHS.
    5. The answer is based on the fact, that WHS cannot be a member of the domain, so the workarounds are as listed.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Marked as answer by p-manse Saturday, October 10, 2009 6:43 PM
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 5:25 PM

All replies

• I know it's been asked but all I'm finding are posts from 2007. (Why doesn't Bing allow date filtering?!)

I've got a Windows Server 2008 network and, like many others, I want to add Windows Home Server to the mix. Has anything changed that might give me an ounce of hope?
    Peter
    Nothing has changed (it can exist in a domain environment, but it cannot be part of the domain).
    Friday, October 9, 2009 10:52 PM
  • So, if it's not part of the domain then how does it interact with the PCs/Servers that are in the domain--if at all?

Peter
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 2:33 AM
  • Hi Peter,
    you can install the connector software and backup the client PCs.
    And if you want to maintain user names and passwords on the Windows Home Server, you can use identical accounts for shared folder access.
    The other option would be to use different accounts on the server and store the credentials in Stored Usernames and Passwords (Start/Run/control keymgr.dll) on the clients.
    Olaf
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 10:40 AM
  • Reading between the lines of your reply, Olaf, it seems you're leaning towards the first option.

1. Does this mean that I maintain an AD set of accounts and set up identical WHS accounts?
    2. Will it mean a double login?
    3. Will I still be able to use all the features that WHS provides?
    4. Can it participate in a Windows 7 Homegroup?
    5. Is your answer based on it not being supported in a domain or that it absolutly does not work on a domain?

My ideal scenario would to put the WHS box in our home entertainment cabinet connected to our HDTV, sound system, etc. I most want to be able to play home movies on the TV using WHS. If each of us could drag and drop media files to the Windows 7 Homegroup and have them appear on WHS it would be great!

What do you think?

Peter
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 4:52 PM
    1. Only if you wish to use the shared folders on the Windows Home Server with other than guest account. Often the Home Server in AD environments is not even used as file server, in this case user accounts are not that important.
    2. Not from the view of client user (if the user accounts are identically or the credentials are stored locally).
    3. Yes - beside the fact, that Remote Access may be limited (assuming the environment does not allow port forwarding to WHS)
    4. No, currently these are not supported by WHS.
    5. The answer is based on the fact, that WHS cannot be a member of the domain, so the workarounds are as listed.

Olaf

• Marked as answer by p-manse Saturday, October 10, 2009 6:43 PM
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 5:25 PM
  • Thank you so much, Olaf. I appreciate all!
    Peter
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 6:44 PM
  • (Why doesn't Bing allow date filtering?!)

Peter
    That's why I switched back to Google.
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 3:54 AM