FIREWALL RRS feed

• Question

• This seems to be a good virus and spyware protection program. I have one BIG issue with it. I CAN NOT get into ANY program that requires internet connection without turnning off the firewall first; except explorer and MSN. This includes programs that are down loaded to my computer.

I have the free trial, 90 days. I do not think I will subscribe because of this problem.

Is this a big problem with everyone? Is there a cure?

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 7:39 PM

Answers

All replies

• You can't get into the program or the program can't access the network? Have you removed your old protection suite before running OneCare? It sounds as if there is a conflict with another active firewall and/or security program. Are you getting any prompts from the OneCare firewall about programs being blocked and requesting access? When you view the list of blocked and allowed programs are the ones you are trying to use listed?

-steve

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 7:55 PM
  •  The programs that I want to get into are not listed as safe because there is no way to add to the list.

There is no other protection suite. The only other firewall is the one that came with Windows.

I am not getting any prompts. I have checked the box to prompt me. The sites that gets blocked the most are gaming sites that have advertising from their sponsers.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 8:09 PM
  • OneCare does not block sites. It blocks or allows programs.

If the web browser has network access, it is recognized as allowed and you can go to any web site. If some sites are failing to load, then it isn't a OneCare issue *or* a firewall issue.

-steve

Thursday, November 13, 2008 1:43 AM
  •  I don't know why you are talking about web browsers, I never said I had a problem with it. I want to access games that I have downloaded to play offline but still needs internet access so the sponsers can show their messages.

Sunday, November 16, 2008 9:16 AM
  • I assumed that the games were running in a browser, based on your earlier description.

If the games are local programs, then they need to be added to the firewall allow list. If you need help with this, please contact OneCare support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, November 17, 2008 3:02 PM