Windows 7 RTM and Windows Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• I cannot for the life of me get my 2 Win 7 RTM machines to connect to my Home Server. I have 8 PC's in my house 6 of which are running Windows XP and have no problem connecting to the Home Server. One of the machines running Windows 7 RTM was running Vista and, at that time, connected to the Home Server perfectly, the other Win 7 machine was running Win 7 RC1 and could connect to the Home Server, but after upgrading both of them they cannot connect anymore. My Home Server has been running Power Pack 3 the whole time, i haven't changed anything except the OS on the 2 clients. I can navigate the Home Server shared folders from both Win 7 systems, they can also ping the Home Server by IP and name with no problems. When i try to run the connector installation app everything goes fine until I type in the password, then the program errors and says the operation cannot be completed at this time. I've tried using the toolkit and all it says is that the version of the connector do not match?? What does that mean?? I can't seem to find a straight answer for this issue anywhere and i'm starting to go crazy.....
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 3:34 PM

All replies

• hi,

Did you try installing the connector software from the server at http://{servername}:55000?

- Theo.
    No home server like Home Server
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 8:32 PM
  • Yes i tried installing the connector from the server, i also tried copying over the .exe and running it locally. I even tried some of the more ridiculus solutions that i found online like rebooting my router and my DSL modem but i get the same error everytime. I also run a domain at home so i tried logging out the domain and using the local user account but still the same issue.
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 8:35 PM
  • Also i have a real RTM copy from MSDN, not one of the fake RTM copies from torrent sites, like most people have :-)
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 8:37 PM
  • Well... RTM Should be fine.
    Have been running the connector software on RC/32, RC/64 and currently on RTM 64-bits (yes, the real one :-) - no problems.

I think I have seen a few others reporting your problem. Don't know if there is a work arround/fix (anyone?)
    Could you please file a bug report on Connect?

- Theo.
    No home server like Home Server
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 9:18 PM
  • Did you try to reboot the server? This seems sometimes to fix such issues.
    Have you installed any other applications on your server, which may have altered IIS settings?
    Can you check the event log of the server if you find corresponding errors or warnings during the connection attempts (or any other warnings)?
    Please be also aware, that Power Pack 3 is still in Beta stage, so you should issue a bug report on Connect.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 10:10 PM
  • I cannot for the life of me get my 2 Win 7 RTM machines to connect to my Home Server. I have 8 PC's in my house 6 of which are running Windows XP and have no problem connecting to the Home Server. One of the machines running Windows 7 RTM was running Vista and, at that time, connected to the Home Server perfectly, the other Win 7 machine was running Win 7 RC1 and could connect to the Home Server, but after upgrading both of them they cannot connect anymore. My Home Server has been running Power Pack 3 the whole time, i haven't changed anything except the OS on the 2 clients. I can navigate the Home Server shared folders from both Win 7 systems, they can also ping the Home Server by IP and name with no problems. When i try to run the connector installation app everything goes fine until I type in the password, then the program errors and says the operation cannot be completed at this time. I've tried using the toolkit and all it says is that the version of the connector do not match?? What does that mean?? I can't seem to find a straight answer for this issue anywhere and i'm starting to go crazy.....

Please try the solution from this thread. If that doesn't help please check the proposed answers at the bottom of the same thread.
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 11:18 AM