GUID or Bad? RRS feed

• Question

• We have a mullti-org environment with development, testing, migration, etc. happening in parallel in various ones. We are trying to tie down a master copy of reference tables in one org but not there yet. Did not hold back on development so that could progress as much as possible. Now been made aware that for any code that uses if conditions comparing a value in a reference table, that behind the scenes the guid is taken and in effect, hardcoded in. That means that the workflows when taken into a solution and moved to another org will error as the guid will no longer be valid in the other org.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Are now testing the code to see how big the problem is.  Is there another way around this problem?  Also, any good ideas on solution and multi-org environment management? 
    Thursday, February 12, 2015 6:14 PM

All replies

• I have definitely run into this in the past and it greatly complicates promoting code between organizations.  The best course of action is to keep reference data GUIDs in-sync across all the environments using a tool like Scribe or custom code, or even Excel.  In that case, your workflows will promote smoothly.  Note, there is some data that I have only been able to sync via .Net code (Teams and Queues for example).

With the data already in your system, you are probably looking at a ticklish "data migration" task to get all of the environments in harmony.  For that, I would only want to use a purpose-built tool like Scribe.  If you are on-prem, then you can gauge the problem pretty easily via SQL.  

Thursday, February 12, 2015 6:37 PM
  • I agree with the points in the previous post. One extra clarification - you can only set the Guids of the records when they are created, so if you have existing data in the non-master system, then you'll have to delete and recreate it; this may seem a pain, but it is something that's best done sooner rather than later

Microsoft CRM MVP - http://mscrmuk.blogspot.com/ http://www.excitation.co.uk

Friday, February 13, 2015 8:57 AM
  • Thanks for the advice, and for the tool recommendation. Are consolidating, but will have to do it again at later point with data migration. 

Thursday, February 26, 2015 10:23 AM
  • AFter consolidating will have to wipe out and rebuild environments with consolidated master copy of ref tables.  Luckily all in dev/test environments so far. not live.

Thursday, February 26, 2015 10:26 AM
  • Thanks for your input!

Thursday, February 26, 2015 10:26 AM