Spread Enterprise Pool over WAN RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Does anyone know if its possible to deploy a single enterprise pool over with two servers in the pool from two geographically distinct sites (i.e. one in UK and one in US).  There is a good MPLS link between the two (around 30Mbps with 100ms latency).

My thoughts are to point the clients in each site to their local server (using GPO settings) and this would allow for (manual) failover to a different site if required providing increased availability.

My question are with regards to what happens with meetings/conversations with a mixed set of users across two sites and wether an edge server at each site would still be required?

The idea behind this is to provide good failover while reducing the amount of servers required even further.

Any of your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bara

Friday, January 23, 2009 5:30 PM

All replies

• Bara,

Unfortunately the configuration you have in mind, while frequently requested, is not supported by Microsoft.  In a single pool configuration you don't have any predictability over where conferences will be homed since the MCU is dynamically allocated at the time the conference is initiated.  You'd also have to be very deliberate in your DNS configuration to properly route people to their local server.  This would require some additional planning and configuration.

Overall, the primary benefit you'd gain is the ability to more quickly get users up and running in the event one of the servers failed, but I'm not sure the trade-offs justify that unless you commonly have server stability issues.  With the same number of servers you could install either an Enterprise or Standard edition server in each location.  I'd recommend Enterprise edition since it's very easy to bring a new server into the OCS pool either in preparation for decommissioning an existing server or in the event of a failure.  You also have predictability of where conferences will be hosted - if a user in the UK initiates the conference then the MCU will be in the UK, and vice versa for the US.

Mike Stacy | Evangelyze Communications | http://www.evangelyze.net/cs/blogs/mike
    Sunday, January 25, 2009 5:59 PM