HomeServerConsoleTab.IPInfo.dll RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I had been playing music from the server and then went to close it down as normal through the connector icon but received a warning that I could not connect to the server. I then went to remote desktop and again could not access - but could view the event log which advised a runtime2.0 error. With no way to access I manually switched off the server and then restarted and again attempted accessing from a laptop. This time I received an error message regarding a problem with the HomeServerConsoleTab.IPInfo.dll. I chose retry (skip did nothing) and accessed the server but do not understand what has suddenly caused this problem as I have no add-ins installed and no anti-virus installed as the server cannot access the internet. Can someone explain what is happening here?  The close down was around 00:15am and I am wondering if any scheduled maintenance was underway - or WHS updates? Thanks   

Sunday, October 3, 2010 3:52 AM

Answers

• No I'm not clever enough to figure out - if I located I question whether I would know what it meant. I will mark this thread as "answered" and wait and see if it recurs.

• Marked as answer by antfortas Friday, October 8, 2010 6:56 PM
    Friday, October 8, 2010 6:55 PM

All replies

• There is no HomeServerConsoleTab.IPInfo.dll - are you sure you have the message correct?
    --
    Sunday, October 3, 2010 5:00 PM
  • Hi 

Here is the message I received from the WHS Console:

" X  The previous attempt to open the Windows Home Server Console was not successful because there was a problem with the following file: HomeServerConsoleTab.IPInfo.dll. If the problem persists, please uninstall the add-in associated with this file and try again.

To try to open the console with this file again, click Retry. To open the console without the features associated with this file, click Skip,    

Retry    Skip "

I'm not sure how to post the jpeg image to this forum thread that I took of this warning message - if someone can clarify how to then I would be happy to do so. As far as I can read from the warning message this file must exist within the WHS software. 

Thanks

Sunday, October 3, 2010 8:17 PM
  • Hi,

I have checked further on this and windows explorer has discovered the following file in Server SYS Files March 8 2010/Program Files/Windows Home Server/de

HomeServerConsoleTab.IPInfo.resources.dll 13/02/2009 9.26 PM Application extension 13KB.

I checked again with the original warning message and the only difference is that the "resources" part of the file name is missing however the rest is identical to what I originally posted.

I have 3 questions:

1) Could this be a simple random error where the full file name has not been read correctly within the WHS software thereby causing the server to deny access due to a runtime error?

2) Has there been any update/change to this file recently through auto-update?

3) To Al West regarding your reply: "There is no HomeServerConsoleTab.IPInfo.dll - are you sure you have the message correct?" - Al, were you aware that this very similar file existed albeit with the addition of 1 word - resources - in the full file name? It seems unusual that those more familiar with WHS Software could not make this likely connection between my originally reported problem and potentially the existing WHS file? 

Thanks

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 11:39 AM
  • Day 5 
    Thursday, October 7, 2010 12:36 PM
  • Day 6
    Friday, October 8, 2010 11:33 AM
  • The two file names are not identical, and won't be identified as such by .Net error reporting. So if they're related (it would seem likely), and you don't have the specific DLL mentioned, it's missing. Unfortunately there's probably no way to recover it short of a server recovery; certainly there's none that I know of.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, October 8, 2010 12:49 PM
  • Ken

Thank you for responding.

Could you clarify what either of these .dll files is designed to do within WHS? The server has apparently "self corrected" and I appear to have normal access again. The only other thing I noticed was that after I closed down the server 2 nights ago using the connector link on my laptop I found out 30-40 minutes later that the server was still running so I then closed it down manually after waiting another 30 mins in case it was doing something(?) important. First time I think this has happened (or I have only just noticed) and wonder if there is a potential connection between the reported dll problem and the server not closing down correctly? 

Thanks

Friday, October 8, 2010 5:17 PM
  • Could you clarify what either of these .dll files is designed to do within WHS? …

No.

I've never had the problem you describe, and don't have those files on my server. Perhaps they're part of some add-in that the server manufacturer included?

Since the files in question are .Net assemblies, if you're clever you may be able to figure out what the one that generated the error actually does, assuming it's reappeared. Don't bother with the resource dll; it contains resources, not code.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, October 8, 2010 5:34 PM
  • No I'm not clever enough to figure out - if I located I question whether I would know what it meant. I will mark this thread as "answered" and wait and see if it recurs.

• Marked as answer by antfortas Friday, October 8, 2010 6:56 PM
    Friday, October 8, 2010 6:55 PM