Ever since I started backing up Windows 8 to whs 2011 I've been having issues. RRS feed

• Question

• My set up.

Before win 8 came out:

I have one 32bit win 7 client

4 win 7 64 bit clients

Been running whs 2011 since it came out and it worked just fine.

Windows 8 came out and I upgraded 2 64 clients to windows 8.

backups worked fine for a while.. well about 2 weeks

then I started hitting issues where some client backups (win 8) started failing.

Then some of win 7 started failing.

I restored my win 8 client to a time before the failures started. Still no joy.

I restored whs 2011 to a time before the failures started. Still no joy.

The did a repair on the database. I re-installed the connector. Still no joy.

I deleted the whs 2011 database. Everything started working again.

This was fine for 2 week ish again and now I have a win 7 client failure.

Reinstalled the connector. Chkdsk the disks but each time this client runs wssbackup on the server abends (just like before)

Tried recyling clients / server etc etc . no joy.

Other client backups are still working for the moment but i suspect others will slowly begin to fail just like before.

So does anyone have a similar envirnoment? Anyone experiencing similar issues?

Michael D Baker

Friday, December 7, 2012 6:56 PM

Answers

• update. Starting with a new database fixed the failing win 7 backup. So my issue seems to be a corrupt database.

Michael D Baker

• Marked as answer by Yan Li_ Thursday, December 27, 2012 8:48 AM
    Friday, December 7, 2012 10:03 PM

All replies

• Have you tried checking all disks in your server for errors? Your clients? (I'd start with the server; it sounds like you're experiencing a server-side corruption in the backup database.)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Friday, December 7, 2012 7:01 PM
  • Good question. My database is on a different disk to the os and yes I do run chkdsk's regularly. Strange that a repair database never finds any errors, but this simple request also results in wssbackup failing.

I've now started with yet another clean new database. I'm not going to make any win 8 backups for a while and see if makes things more reliable.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Michael D Baker

Friday, December 7, 2012 8:47 PM
  • update. Starting with a new database fixed the failing win 7 backup. So my issue seems to be a corrupt database.

Michael D Baker

• Marked as answer by Yan Li_ Thursday, December 27, 2012 8:48 AM
    Friday, December 7, 2012 10:03 PM