Import contacts using a different lookup key RRS feed

• Question

• Using CRM 2011 to import accounts and contacts.  Our legacy CRM names for accounts with multiple locations, and each location has its own set of contacts.  When I export the data from the legacy system I include a unique record id for every account, even for accounts with multiple locations.  The exported contacts have the same unique account id so that they can be matched up with the proper account.

I created a new field in Dynamics CRM account and contact entities for the legacy system unique id, and the accounts are imported good.  I have tried to figure out how to import the contacts using the unique id from the legacy system to match it up to the account, but have not been able to so far.  Could someone give me some guidance on this?

Thanks

Thursday, June 9, 2011 8:11 PM

All replies

• CRM generally does the type of matching you are looking for on a 'lookup' type field.  If I read your question title explicity, it looks like you are saying you were able to create a 'lookup' field for the custom fields you created to contain the legacy system unique ID.  Were you able to do that?  My apologies if I'm missing something in CRM 2011 as there are many new features to learn about but I wasn't aware that creating lookup type relationship fields was one.

If you are using CRM Online, you might need to consider using Scribe so you can set the type of matching you are looking for (match on the Account Name and Legacy ID).  If you are using On Premise, you can use Scribe or create a Custom Import using SSIS or possibly the SDK.  There are most likely other options but these are the two most obvious to me.

Regards, Donna

Thursday, June 9, 2011 10:19 PM