How to change regarding field of notes RRS feed

• Question

• I have to move all 'Notes' of an opportunity record to another opportunity record. Could anybody help me workaround for this? would it work if I change the regarding field of Note to new opportunity, if yes would there be other impact?
    Monday, April 7, 2014 11:11 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You can use worflow/dialog or write a simple console application where you can fetch notes for your opportunity and update them to target another opportunity.

HTH

Our Website | Our Blog | Follow US | My Facebook Page | Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 Application Design
    Make sure to "Vote as Helpful" and "Mark As Answer",if you get answer of your question.

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 1:20 AM
  • Hi Santhosh,

Please find the following coding for updates regarding opportunity in notes

string notesfetch=@"<fetch distinct='false' mapping='logical' output-format='xml-platform' version='1.0'>

<entity name='annotation'>

<attribute name='subject'/>

<attribute name='notetext'/>

<attribute name='filename'/>

<attribute name='annotationid'/>

<attribute name='ownerid'/>

<attribute name='isdocument'/>

<order descending='false' attribute='subject'/>

<link-entity name='opportunity' alias='ac' to='objectid' from='opportunity ID'>

<filter type='and'>

//here you have to change your first opportunity(from opportunity) Guid which contains notes

<condition attribute='opportunityid' value='{EB985DE8-E9A4-E311-AB7B-D89D6779D5EC}' uitype='opportunity'  operator='eq'/>

</filter>

</link-entity>

</entity>

</fetch>";

EntityCollection ecollection = service.RetrieveMultiple(new FetchExpression(notesfetch));

foreach(var i in ecollection.Entities)

{

Entity notes = new Entity("annotation");

notes["annotationid"] = i.GetAttributeValue<Guid>("annotationid");

// Here you have to change your second opportunity(to opportunity) Guid

notes["objectid"] = new EntityReference("opportunity", new Guid("F7985DE8-E9A4-E311-AB7B-D89D6779D5EC"));

service.Update(notes);

Console.Write("record updated");

}

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 6:03 AM
  • Hello,

Although direct update to MS CRM tables is possible technically but they are not considered as supported customization based on SDK documentation

Our Website | Our Blog | Follow US | My Facebook Page | Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 Application Design
    Make sure to "Vote as Helpful" and "Mark As Answer",if you get answer of your question.

Wednesday, April 9, 2014 12:30 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You can use worflow/dialog or write a simple console application where you can fetch notes for your opportunity and update them to target another opportunity.

HTH

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 1:20 AM
  • Hi Santhosh,

Please find the following coding for updates regarding opportunity in notes

string notesfetch=@"<fetch distinct='false' mapping='logical' output-format='xml-platform' version='1.0'>

<entity name='annotation'>

<attribute name='subject'/>

<attribute name='notetext'/>

<attribute name='filename'/>

<attribute name='ownerid'/>

<attribute name='isdocument'/>

<order descending='false' attribute='subject'/>

<link-entity name='opportunity' alias='ac' to='objectid' from='opportunity ID'>

<filter type='and'>

//here you have to change your first opportunity(from opportunity) Guid which contains notes

<condition attribute='opportunityid' value='{EB985DE8-E9A4-E311-AB7B-D89D6779D5EC}' uitype='opportunity'  operator='eq'/>

</filter>

</link-entity>

</entity>

</fetch>";

EntityCollection ecollection = service.RetrieveMultiple(new FetchExpression(notesfetch));

foreach(var i in ecollection.Entities)

{

Entity notes = new Entity("annotation");

notes["annotationid"] = i.GetAttributeValue<Guid>("annotationid");

// Here you have to change your second opportunity(to opportunity) Guid

notes["objectid"] = new EntityReference("opportunity", new Guid("F7985DE8-E9A4-E311-AB7B-D89D6779D5EC"));

service.Update(notes);

Console.Write("record updated");

}

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 6:03 AM
  • Thanks Mahendra for your detailed answer. I ll check it out. One more thing I wanted to know that if I change the 'objectid' of notes from back, is it good practice?
    Tuesday, April 8, 2014 6:16 AM

• Do you mean by changing it from DB, then yes it's not a good practice and that is unsupported also.

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 6:37 AM
  • Thanks Mahendra for your prompt reply. I understood that this isn't good practice, but I didn't get that how is it unsupported. I checked it on a dummy organization and it worked. Please correct me if I am not taking care of anything.
    Tuesday, April 8, 2014 11:06 AM
  • Hello,

Although direct update to MS CRM tables is possible technically but they are not considered as supported customization based on SDK documentation

Wednesday, April 9, 2014 12:30 AM
  • ok Mahendra, got your point. Thanks.
    Wednesday, April 9, 2014 8:40 AM