I have removable HDD cradles, when ever I move the HDD from one pc to another I have to re-activate every time! RRS feed

• Question

• I have removable HDD cradles, when ever I move the HDD from one pc to another I have to re-activate every time!

I have for the past few years not had a problem, but in the last month have had to get re-activation by phone every day, or every time I transfer the cradle!

Thursday, September 27, 2007 1:49 PM

Answers

• Eidadio,

There should not be any activation problems using a removable HDD cradle. A problem may present itself if you are using that respective HDD cradle to actually boot the other computer from. Eidadio, are you using a hard drive from one system to boot another system with?

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, September 27, 2007 5:02 PM
  • Yes, I am booting the system from the HDD in the cradle, I have two home computers, and need to move everything from one to the other as and when I need to. I have done this for several years with previous Windows operating sytems and this version of XP (media) and other XP versions (home & pro). This problem only seems to have started in the last month, with me having to phone for activation sometimes  2 or 3 times a day, which is not always convenient, if I am in a hurry to do something. Yes I could say activate at alater time, but Iwill still need to do it, and again when I return it to its original location.

Thursday, September 27, 2007 5:30 PM
  • Eidadio,

The purpose of this forum is the support of Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program.  Your question is off topic. Please post your question to one of the Windows newsgroups here: 

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&lang=en&cr=US.   

If you should have other non-WGA questions please visit our other communities for helpful information here:  http://www.microsoft.com/atwork/community.mspx and http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/HP030829921033.aspx .  Thank you for visiting the forum.

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, September 27, 2007 6:28 PM
  • Eidadio,

The way you are using the ONE license of XP you have is a violation if the End User Licensing Agreement.  The edition of XP you have is Media Center, and Media Center has only been issued via an OEM licensing agreement.  The OEM licensing agreement states that the ONE license for XP Media Center you have is permanently tied to the computer onto which it is first installed and cannot be moved to another computer.  When you take the system drive out of the one computer and insert it into the other computer in order to run the OS on the second computer, you are violating the "no-move" provision of of the EULA.

No doubt you also have other software installed on the systemdrive, and it's entirely possible that the action of moving the systemdrive is also violating the EULAs of some of that other software, too.

In order to avoid such licensing issues, IMO your best option is to permanently install one hard disk drive (HDD) into each of the two computers, and then install two separate licenses for Media Center (and other software as appropriate to their EULAs) onto these two hard disks, one in each computer.  To address your need to move data from one computer to another, set up your programs so that they save the data to the removeable hard disk.  Then when you need to move the data, just move the disk as you have been doing.

Another option would be to replace the edition of Windows you are using now, Media Center, with an edition of Windows that can be purchased under a full retail license.  Full retail licenses are allowed by the EULA to be moved from one computer to another.  While this option would "cure" your licensing problem, it will not address your activation problem, as each time the disk is moved it perceives that it is on a different computer and that triggers the need to Activate.

Friday, September 28, 2007 3:35 PM

All replies

• Eidadio,

There should not be any activation problems using a removable HDD cradle. A problem may present itself if you are using that respective HDD cradle to actually boot the other computer from. Eidadio, are you using a hard drive from one system to boot another system with?

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, September 27, 2007 5:02 PM
  • Yes, I am booting the system from the HDD in the cradle, I have two home computers, and need to move everything from one to the other as and when I need to. I have done this for several years with previous Windows operating sytems and this version of XP (media) and other XP versions (home & pro). This problem only seems to have started in the last month, with me having to phone for activation sometimes  2 or 3 times a day, which is not always convenient, if I am in a hurry to do something. Yes I could say activate at alater time, but Iwill still need to do it, and again when I return it to its original location.

Thursday, September 27, 2007 5:30 PM
  • Eidadio,

The purpose of this forum is the support of Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program.  Your question is off topic. Please post your question to one of the Windows newsgroups here: 

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&lang=en&cr=US.   

If you should have other non-WGA questions please visit our other communities for helpful information here:  http://www.microsoft.com/atwork/community.mspx and http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/HP030829921033.aspx .  Thank you for visiting the forum.

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, September 27, 2007 6:28 PM
  • Eidadio,

The way you are using the ONE license of XP you have is a violation if the End User Licensing Agreement.  The edition of XP you have is Media Center, and Media Center has only been issued via an OEM licensing agreement.  The OEM licensing agreement states that the ONE license for XP Media Center you have is permanently tied to the computer onto which it is first installed and cannot be moved to another computer.  When you take the system drive out of the one computer and insert it into the other computer in order to run the OS on the second computer, you are violating the "no-move" provision of of the EULA.

No doubt you also have other software installed on the systemdrive, and it's entirely possible that the action of moving the systemdrive is also violating the EULAs of some of that other software, too.

In order to avoid such licensing issues, IMO your best option is to permanently install one hard disk drive (HDD) into each of the two computers, and then install two separate licenses for Media Center (and other software as appropriate to their EULAs) onto these two hard disks, one in each computer.  To address your need to move data from one computer to another, set up your programs so that they save the data to the removeable hard disk.  Then when you need to move the data, just move the disk as you have been doing.

Another option would be to replace the edition of Windows you are using now, Media Center, with an edition of Windows that can be purchased under a full retail license.  Full retail licenses are allowed by the EULA to be moved from one computer to another.  While this option would "cure" your licensing problem, it will not address your activation problem, as each time the disk is moved it perceives that it is on a different computer and that triggers the need to Activate.

Friday, September 28, 2007 3:35 PM