locked
Boot drive fail, no rebuild / recreate option on dvd boot :( RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hello there,
    I've had mixed results with WHS in the past, including a disastrous loss that involved the painstaking recovery of data on drives formatted during an install instead of upgrade. (upgrade failed and I wasnt paying full attention - so user error partly)

    So you can imagine I'm keen to avoid that happening again :)

    I've bought a bunch of new hardware for a new server,

    PDSME+ mobo in a supermicro server case that can hold up to 24 drives :) (can you say future proof ?)
    xeon 3220  4 gig ram, + 1 500 gig system drive on the internal sata chain, and 4 x 1tb drives on a supermicro AOC-SAT2-MV8 card. I plan to add more drives in the future.
    It's a bit of overkill hardware wise at the moment, but I'll be running snapstream beyond tv on this also, and perhaps some home automation if I can find something that is worthwhile.

    As I got burned before, I was very keen to double check what would happen if my system drive failed.
    so I simply unplugged it, and plugged in a 1tb drive and booted off the dvd.

    I get no option to update/ upgrade / reinstall whatever you want to call it, I only get the "NEW INSTALLATION" option.

    As default the WHS installer doesnt see the drives on the sata card unless i load the drivers, then it sees them just fine, but it still does not give me any installation option other than "NEW INSTALL"..

    I read somewhere it didnt like USB devices, so I unplugged a usb jump drive that was stuck in it, and that didnt help either..

    Does anyone have any further suggestions ?


    Friday, September 26, 2008 1:48 AM

Answers

  • Motherboard memory controller was going bad, so I had to rma the motherboard.  Will continue when it returns..

    Tuesday, September 30, 2008 6:36 PM

All replies

  • Losfiendos said:

    Hello there,
    I've had mixed results with WHS in the past, including a disastrous loss that involved the painstaking recovery of data on drives formatted during an install instead of upgrade. (upgrade failed and I wasnt paying full attention - so user error partly)

    So you can imagine I'm keen to avoid that happening again :)

    I've bought a bunch of new hardware for a new server,

    PDSME+ mobo in a supermicro server case that can hold up to 24 drives :) (can you say future proof ?)
    xeon 3220  4 gig ram, + 1 500 gig system drive on the internal sata chain, and 4 x 1tb drives on a supermicro AOC-SAT2-MV8 card. I plan to add more drives in the future.
    It's a bit of overkill hardware wise at the moment, but I'll be running snapstream beyond tv on this also, and perhaps some home automation if I can find something that is worthwhile.

    As I got burned before, I was very keen to double check what would happen if my system drive failed.
    so I simply unplugged it, and plugged in a 1tb drive and booted off the dvd.

    I get no option to update/ upgrade / reinstall whatever you want to call it, I only get the "NEW INSTALLATION" option.

    As default the WHS installer doesnt see the drives on the sata card unless i load the drivers, then it sees them just fine, but it still does not give me any installation option other than "NEW INSTALL"..

    I read somewhere it didnt like USB devices, so I unplugged a usb jump drive that was stuck in it, and that didnt help either..

    Does anyone have any further suggestions ?




    Is the 500 GB drive SATA or PATA?  Did you originally install with just that one drive, then add the other drives afterward?  In order for Server Reinstallation to appear, you must A) present all secondary hard drives at the time of reinstallation and B) be replacing the drive that is the "first boot" drive according to the mobo settings.
    Friday, September 26, 2008 2:01 AM
    Moderator
  • 500gb is sata..

    So i'm on the right track loading the drivers for the other drives then,
    as for the first boot drive.. hmmm, that might be set to cd.. I'll double check those settings
    Friday, September 26, 2008 2:07 AM
  • ok boot order is

    1:- cd rom
    2:- 500gb drive (internal sata #1)

    I simply swap out the drive, verified bios settings,

    1:- cd rom
    2:- 1tb drive (internal sata #1)

    each time I also loaded the win32 drivers for the aoc-sat2-mv8 card, after which it shows the other drives as being there.

    and no joy.. "NEW INSTALLATION" is the only option..

    I did notice in the bios there is an option for the sata controller to be in compatible mode or enhanced, I believe in compatible mode it presents the drive as an IDE drive to the OS.. so I switched from compatible to enhanced. still no love..
    Do i need to load sata drivers for the motherboard sata ? Intel ICH7r
    I stuck them on a usb drive, loaded the win32 drivers also, and still only get new installation option :(

    so I switched back to compatible mode, and sata,
    loaded the intel sata drivers AND the aoc-sat-mv8 drivers..

    and STILL only the new installation option :(

    what could I possibly be doing wrong ?


    Friday, September 26, 2008 3:20 AM
  • I forgot to answer your original question, when I initially installed the server, I installed it to the 500 gb drive, THEN plugged in the addin card and added the drives to the WHS pool.
    Friday, September 26, 2008 3:25 AM
  • Losfiendos said:

    I forgot to answer your original question, when I initially installed the server, I installed it to the 500 gb drive, THEN plugged in the addin card and added the drives to the WHS pool.


    Just to verify, you can see all 5 hard drives when you boot from the DVD (and use whatever drivers are necessary) and you still only get New Installation?  If so, the only other possibility I can think of is that perhaps your SATA card may be bootable.  In other words, WHS may think one of the drives on that card is the "first boot" drive in your server.  Do you have enough SATA ports on the mobo to connect all 5 directly to it?  Or maybe try moving the drives around so that the system drive is in port 1 of your SATA card and see if WHS sees it as the "first boot" drive.
    Friday, September 26, 2008 3:31 AM
    Moderator
  • yes. the card is bootable, but the sata drive shows up as Volume 0, so i think it see's onboard as first...
    but
    That's a good suggestion, moving to all on the sata card with the 1st drive as boot.. Lemme try that..

    I'd prefer to avoid using the onboard sata anyways..  I only used it as i thought it would make life easier :)

    thank goodness for hot swappable bays :) I love this case.. supermicro SC846 chassis :) it's the last case you'll ever buy..


    Friday, September 26, 2008 3:37 AM
  • ok one quick hard disk shuffle later.

    boot order
    1:- CD
    2:- PCI Scsi sata drive 0

    Booty McBootBoot..

    no drives available

    drivery loadery
    32 bit drivers off usb jumpery
    USB drive shows as drive C: (that's probably not good is it)
    shows other drives, and only new installation ..

    removed usb drive
    boot off dvd, load drivers off cd, still only new installation...

    at this point i noticed the volume i wanted to install on was being listed as vol1 and not vol0 on the card, (even tho its plugged into port0 according to the manual)

    so i switched those around so the very first drive listed VOL0 is indeed an unformatted hard disk

    BOOYAH "SERVER RESTORE" !!! given up like a bone to a starving dog !

    so what have we learned...

    1:- in order to get the holy grail of SERVER RESTORE, one must absolutely positively make sure that the drive one wishes to restore to is shown as VOL0 AFTER all the drivers have been loaded.
    2:- This includes USB drives..

    and just after it gets to the dos installation part (after 1st reboot), it bluescreens with an 07b error (i beleive thats no driver loaded)..
    gonna try f6 that and do the floppy thing..








    Friday, September 26, 2008 4:34 AM
  • Losfiendos said:

    ok one quick hard disk shuffle later.

    boot order
    1:- CD
    2:- PCI Scsi sata drive 0

    Booty McBootBoot..

    no drives available

    drivery loadery
    32 bit drivers off usb jumpery
    USB drive shows as drive C: (that's probably not good is it)
    shows other drives, and only new installation ..

    removed usb drive
    boot off dvd, load drivers off cd, still only new installation...

    at this point i noticed the volume i wanted to install on was being listed as vol1 and not vol0 on the card, (even tho its plugged into port0 according to the manual)

    Sounds like someone screwed up the labeling in the manual...

    Losfiendos said:

    so i switched those around so the very first drive listed VOL0 is indeed an unformatted hard disk

    BOOYAH "SERVER RESTORE" !!! given up like a bone to a starving dog !

    so what have we learned...

    1:- in order to get the holy grail of SERVER RESTORE, one must absolutely positively make sure that the drive one wishes to restore to is shown as VOL0 AFTER all the drivers have been loaded.
    2:- This includes USB drives..

    and just after it gets to the dos installation part (after 1st reboot), it bluescreens with an 07b error (i beleive thats no driver loaded)..
    gonna try f6 that and do the floppy thing..


    Yep, you gotta do that when dealing with SATA drives...
    Friday, September 26, 2008 4:44 AM
    Moderator
  • file \mvsata.sys could not be loaded. The error code is 4111

    Thats not good is it :(


    Friday, September 26, 2008 4:48 AM
  • Losfiendos said:

    file \mvsata.sys could not be loaded. The error code is 4111

    Thats not good is it :(



    No, it's not.  Any chance you have the wrong driver for the drive/card?
    Saturday, September 27, 2008 1:18 AM
    Moderator
  • Motherboard memory controller was going bad, so I had to rma the motherboard.  Will continue when it returns..

    Tuesday, September 30, 2008 6:36 PM