IIS 6 requirement? Or can IIS 7 be used somehow? RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to test longhorn build 6001 along with testing OCS 2007.

Longhorn only installs IIS 7, is there a hard requirement for IIS 6 in installing OCS or can that be gotten around somehow?

What in OCS is specificaly requiring IIS6?

Also it seemed to install and "see" my LCS 2005 install, will it work, and just fail on web side (i am assuming web access is built in now)? 

Thursday, May 31, 2007 3:33 PM

Answers

• I guess you'll have to try it and let us know.  This is outside of Microsoft's testing scenarios for OCS.
    Thursday, May 31, 2007 6:18 PM

All replies

• A beta app running on a beta OS...sounds like a recipe for disaster.    OCS 2007 RTM will not be supported on Windows 2008 (which will not be released by the time OCS RTMs) or IIS 7.  It remains to be seen if this support will be added in a service pack or in the wave 14 product.

For more info on how IIS is used in OCS 2007 see http://forums.microsoft.com/Ocs2007publicbeta/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1663194&SiteID=57.

Z

Thursday, May 31, 2007 4:48 PM
  • So if IIS is not installed, I lose no functionality in having OCS work, just no web conferencing on that server or CWA, which should be on a different server anyway.

And there is no tip or trick to get IIS 7 to work with these features?

Is this not supported or "not able to" as in Exchange 07 where it won't even install.

Thursday, May 31, 2007 6:13 PM
  • I guess you'll have to try it and let us know.  This is outside of Microsoft's testing scenarios for OCS.
    Thursday, May 31, 2007 6:18 PM
  • Hi there -

Sorry, but this problem hasn't gone away, and is sort-of-worse now.  I've got a server running 2008 RC0, and I'm trying to get a copy of the evaluation version of OCS2007 loaded onto it.  Neither of those products is a Beta any more (though obviously RC0 is a bit borderline).  OCS refuses to install because it expressly requires Win2003 SP1 or greater.  Doesn't make it as far as checking for IIS any more - so in that sense the final version of OCS is less tolerant than the beta version I tried installing earlier.

I think this is really a bug in the OCS installer, rather than Win2008 - but I figured I'd mention it here.  Incidentally - I'm not the same person as zj4x4, so there are at least two of us out there trying to make this swork ;-)

Cheers,

JRGGV

Thursday, October 11, 2007 9:12 AM