Possible to see what files were backed up? RRS feed

• Question

• The way I understand the backup mechanism, it essentially does a full backup first, then incremental backups forever.  I know that you can open any backup and restore any file that existed on the machine at that time.  But is there any way to see exactly what changed for any given backup?

I might be trying to over-manage things but I always like to see what's in a day's backup.  Perhaps I'll just have to purge my old-school backup methods when working with WHS.
    Friday, April 3, 2009 7:39 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    Windows Home Server does not perform a file based backup. It backs up only changed clusters of files, which are not on the exclusion list. As far as I know, there is no detailed information, which files exactly have been backed up.
    Some details how backup works you can find in the Windows Home Computer Backup and Restore technical brief, which can be downloaded from the WHS support site.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, April 3, 2009 9:33 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    Windows Home Server does not perform a file based backup. It backs up only changed clusters of files, which are not on the exclusion list. As far as I know, there is no detailed information, which files exactly have been backed up.
    Some details how backup works you can find in the Windows Home Computer Backup and Restore technical brief, which can be downloaded from the WHS support site.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, April 3, 2009 9:33 AM
  • Just like with any other backup tool that gives you access to individual files, you can open any backup and see what's in it. In the case of Windows Home Server, single file restore mounts a virtual drive on your computer when you open a backup in this fashion.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, April 3, 2009 11:27 AM
  • Just like with any other backup tool that gives you access to individual files, you can open any backup and see what's in it. In the case of Windows Home Server, single file restore mounts a virtual drive on your computer when you open a backup in this fashion.
    Sure, I understand that I can mount the virtual drive and see everything on the file level.  I guess I was hoping for more details when looking at each day's backup.  Examples would be xxMB data backed up, # files that changed, etc.  But considering the WHS target deomgraphic, that could be confusing.  Just like Microsoft thought we don't need to see any graphical details for defrag in Vista/W7.

No biggie.
    Friday, April 3, 2009 2:11 PM