Problems in general RRS feed

• Question

• I have Windows Live One Care on a Dell Dimension 2350, P4, 220 GHz, 512 MB Ram, running Windows XP (Home Edition) SP2 and IE7.  I have a high speed cable internet conection.  Suddenly, about a week ago, I started getting a message that I was not connected to the internet when I tried to run my iWin Games Manager. 

I am connected to the internet.  iWin.com is allowed per my firewall settings and my internet options/privacy settings.  I am totally at a loss to figure out what is going on.  iWin support just tells me to make sure my firewall is set to allow it.\

Can anyone tell me what the problem might be?

Magsmom

Thursday, April 10, 2008 4:40 PM

Answers

• Stephen:

Thanks for follow up.  Anser is yes- but I should clarify:  The program had already been downloaded and installed.  I was able to access and use The Game Manager, which is resident on my computer, and to play a number of games that had already been downloaded and installed, including games that I had actually purchased, games that had been downloaded for free trial periods, and games that are "Free Play" all the time on their site.  I had resolved the problem with the Game Manager saying I was not connected to the internet but I just could not get this one game to function properly. 

I turned off the firewall and pop up blocker, for just long enough to download this program.  It downloaded and installed with no problem and I have been using it, but this is very strange:-

All of the games that are "Free Play" are sponsered and you get to play them for free because you have to contend with the Sponser Ads popping up all the time.  However, the sponser's ads STOPPED popping up on almost (maybe all) of the other "Free Play" games, but they are still popping up on this one.

I like to play the "Puzzle" games, but actually, I don't need them.  My computer is the ultimate puzzle!

Sunday, April 20, 2008 11:25 PM

All replies

• If you disable the OneCare firewall, does the problem go away?

-steve

Friday, April 11, 2008 2:00 AM
  •  jcadig1 wrote:

I have Windows Live One Care on a Dell Dimension 2350, P4, 220 GHz, 512 MB Ram, running Windows XP (Home Edition) SP2 and IE7.  I have a high speed cable internet conection.  Suddenly, about a week ago, I started getting a message that I was not connected to the internet when I tried to run my iWin Games Manager. 

I am connected to the internet.  iWin.com is allowed per my firewall settings and my internet options/privacy settings.  I am totally at a loss to figure out what is going on.  iWin support just tells me to make sure my firewall is set to allow it.\

Can anyone tell me what the problem might be?

Magsmom

I cannot load some software and my support person says that my firewall needs reconfigured??

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 4:09 PM
  • More information, please, Julie.

What program are your trying to load? Do you mean install or run?

I am assuming that you are using Windows Live OneCare...

If you are using OneCare, do we know if the software requires any special protocol or port access?

-steve

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 4:47 PM
  • Stephen:

Thanks for follow up.  Anser is yes- but I should clarify:  The program had already been downloaded and installed.  I was able to access and use The Game Manager, which is resident on my computer, and to play a number of games that had already been downloaded and installed, including games that I had actually purchased, games that had been downloaded for free trial periods, and games that are "Free Play" all the time on their site.  I had resolved the problem with the Game Manager saying I was not connected to the internet but I just could not get this one game to function properly. 

I turned off the firewall and pop up blocker, for just long enough to download this program.  It downloaded and installed with no problem and I have been using it, but this is very strange:-

All of the games that are "Free Play" are sponsered and you get to play them for free because you have to contend with the Sponser Ads popping up all the time.  However, the sponser's ads STOPPED popping up on almost (maybe all) of the other "Free Play" games, but they are still popping up on this one.

I like to play the "Puzzle" games, but actually, I don't need them.  My computer is the ultimate puzzle!

Sunday, April 20, 2008 11:25 PM
  • Yes, computers can certainly be the ultimate puzzle. :-)

Glad you got the game working. I don't know if the firewall is blocking the ads or if it is just the IE pop-up blocker, but I suspect you don't mind them not appearing.

-steve

Monday, April 21, 2008 3:59 PM