Dumb question alert - SATA drives RRS feed

• Question

• I spend too much time programming and not enough time playing with hardware ...

I want to buy a couple of large capacity drives for the Dell I'll use for testing WHS. It seems that I can only find SATA drives of large capacity at decent prices. The machine has IDE drives installed now. Will it support SATA drives?

If that's too dumb a question  :-) How can I tell if it will?

If that's still too dumb ... can I upgrade the machine to support SATA drives?

If that's still too dumb, please set me straight, but type slowly as it's been too many years since I paid attention to hardware!

Friday, March 2, 2007 1:08 AM

Answers

• If you know that your computer has ATA drives installed now, I assume you have had the case open? Did it have connectors that look like this (they may be colors other than red).

At worst, you can purchase a SATA card (I recommend a SATA II card,as most new drives are SATA II) for not much money.

Friday, March 2, 2007 1:17 AM

All replies

• If you know that your computer has ATA drives installed now, I assume you have had the case open? Did it have connectors that look like this (they may be colors other than red).

At worst, you can purchase a SATA card (I recommend a SATA II card,as most new drives are SATA II) for not much money.

Friday, March 2, 2007 1:17 AM
  • {Oh the drives are definitely EIDE, that was a typo above. Sorry about that. }

[Edit] OK let's smack me about the head and try again. The drives are IDE. The controllers are Ultra ATA. What was that about "Look Before You Leap"?

Anyway ... it's been a couple of years since the case was opened, but the ribbons are definitely not connected to plugs like those pictured. Thanks for the headsup on the SATA II card.

Been looking and the only ones I've seen so far are PCI Express. Looks like I'm gonna have to roll up my sleeve and open up the case - which would be easy if the PC were not surrounded by so much junk  :-) - to see if it's got any PCI Express slots, or if it's PCI only.

Can you hear the words "Should have thought of that earlier"?  :-)

Friday, March 2, 2007 1:24 AM
  • Here's the cheapest PCI (not PCI-E) card I can find on Newegg with at least two internal ports.

Newegg, of course, means you can get something just as good elsewhere, for less.

Enjoy!
    Friday, March 2, 2007 3:06 AM
  • Thanks for that.

Since we started this I opened up the box. I discovered it has 2 on-board SATA sockets, and power supply so I am good to go!!

Thanks for your help.

Friday, March 2, 2007 6:45 PM