Dynamics on Mac RRS feed

• Question

• I'm building a sales team and related processes for a rapidly growing company that is all on Macs. I had decided to go with Dynamics CRM online, but just found out that it doesn't work on Safari or Firefox. It baffles the mind--isn't the main benefit of the CLOUD the ability to access your applications from anywhere on any device running any OS? Why is Microsoft spending big bucks on advertising "To The Cloud" and attacking Salesforce if they're still tying customers to a single system?

Guess I'll be going with Salesforce after all even though I needed something that could scale up into an ERP implementation down the road.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011 4:46 AM

Answers

• The "IE-tab on Firefox" trick only works on a PC where Firefox and IE are installed; and it's just sleight of hand to fool gullible Firefox users that they're not using IE, but they are!

The only viable methods on a Mac are terminal services, Windows emulation or virtual machines. Some of my customers' Mac users have used Windows emulation successfully using emulators such as Parallels.

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd. You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter. Join over 10,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011 3:26 PM

All replies

• Hi Baffler, cross-browser support for Dynamics CRM is an often requested feature and hopefully we'll see it in a future release. Only 5% of computer users use a Mac so I can understand why Microsoft hasn't built a Mac-specific version, but a lot of Windows users prefer browsers other than IE so I hope they support Chrome, Firefox and Safari soon too.

I guess it's a trade-off between developing new features for existing and prospective customers that are happy with IE and developing cross-browser support for those that aren't. So far, the CRM product team seems to have concentrated on the former, perhaps they'll give a little attention to the latter (like the SharePoint product team has).

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd. You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter. Join over 10,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011 9:25 AM
  • Neil, Is it not a valid option to use IE-tab for Firefox?  I have seen it work on firefox that way?

Jamie Miley
    Tuesday, March 8, 2011 2:49 PM
  • The "IE-tab on Firefox" trick only works on a PC where Firefox and IE are installed; and it's just sleight of hand to fool gullible Firefox users that they're not using IE, but they are!

The only viable methods on a Mac are terminal services, Windows emulation or virtual machines. Some of my customers' Mac users have used Windows emulation successfully using emulators such as Parallels.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011 3:26 PM