Help File Question RRS feed

• Question

• I was reading the "help" files on the web this morning. In the section "Troubleshoot connecting computer to the server" there is a section that I couldn't get to work.

This is the section:
    Troubleshoot connecting computer to the server

Issue

I get “The Connector software installation is canceled” error message.

Description

Computers cannot connect to the server if the SYSTEM account of the pre-defined server folder does not have Full Control permissions in Windows Home Server 2011. You receive an error message that says The Connector software installation is canceled.

Solution

Verify the SYSTEM account permissions for all the server folders as follows:

Verify and modify SYSTEM account permissions for all the server folders

1 - Open the Windows Home Server 2011 Dashboard.

2 - Click Server Folders and Hard Drives, and then click Server Folders.

3 - Right-click server folder and then click Open the folder. This launches Windows Explorer with a list of all the server folders.

4 - Right-click server folder in the tree, and click Properties.

5 - On <serverfoldername> Properties page, click Security.

6 - Verify that the Full control permissions is set to Allow. If not, click Edit to change the permissions for the SYSTEM account.

Number 3, this doesn't happen for me from the Dashboard on the client side or the server side. I get nothing when trying to right-click "Server Folder", it is a tab, I don't know where this direction is going. Is there something that I am totally missing on these directions?

Saturday, July 9, 2011 3:46 PM

Answers

• On Sat, 9 Jul 2011 16:19:56 +0000, DonCarlson wrote:

That does work but what caught my eye was "This launches Windows Explorer with a list of all the server folders".I never?did this before, seeing the permissions from a Windows Explorer view with all the "server folders" listed.
    ?
    I don't have V1 to look at, could this be something that was for that version left in the new help files?

No, this procedure does work, it is just poorly written. If step 3 were
    written as:

3. Right-click a server folder and then click Open the folder. This
    launches Windows Explorer with a list of all the server folders.

This opens Windows Explorer and the various server folders should appear in
    the left pane of Windows Explorer.

This is also poorly written. According to Microsoft technical writing
    guidelines the left pane is referred to as the console pane, or left pane
    while the right pane should be referred to as the right pane or details
    pane. And once again a preposition is missing, it should read as above,
    Right-click a server folder.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    You know it is going to be a bad day when you forget your new password.

• Marked as answer by DonCarlson Sunday, July 10, 2011 3:23 PM
    Sunday, July 10, 2011 6:11 AM

3 - Right-click server folder and then click Open the folder. This launches Windows Explorer with a list of all the server folders.

Number 3, this doesn't happen for me from the Dashboard on the client side or the server side. I get nothing when trying to right-click "Server Folder", it is a tab, I don't know where this direction is going. Is there something that I am totally missing on these directions?

Number 3 should say something more like "right click each predefined server folder and then click Open the folder".
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken Warren Saturday, July 9, 2011 4:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by DonCarlson Sunday, July 10, 2011 3:24 PM
    Saturday, July 9, 2011 4:14 PM

All replies

• I just tried it but as I am away from my server had to try by remote access. When I do Step 3 (right clicking on the folder icon, not the tab), I get the message "You can not perform this task if you connect to the Dashboard using Remote Access .........". So at least I get a response. Try it on a Folder Icon rather than the Tab.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Saturday, July 9, 2011 4:07 PM
  • I was following the directions when I did this. I have folders, none are named "server folder", the only thing that is named that is the "tab". I can right-click a folder, naturally, but it doesn't bring up the "server folder" listing the folders as the directions are saying.

I am not having any issues with WHS 2011, was just trying to understand some of the issues others are having and thought I might go to the help website and see if there is information that I wasn't aware of.

This particular step I had never seen, that is why I decided to launch the Dashboard and see what was there.

--
    Don

Number 3 should say something more like "right click each predefined server folder and then click Open the folder".
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken Warren Saturday, July 9, 2011 4:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by DonCarlson Sunday, July 10, 2011 3:24 PM
  • That does work but what caught my eye was "This launches Windows Explorer with a list of all the server folders". I never did this before, seeing the permissions from a Windows Explorer view with all the "server folders" listed.

I don't have V1 to look at, could this be something that was for that version left in the new help files?

--
    Don
    Saturday, July 9, 2011 4:19 PM
  • I just added this on Connect, will see what comes back from this.

--
    Don
    Saturday, July 9, 2011 5:54 PM
  • On Sat, 9 Jul 2011 16:19:56 +0000, DonCarlson wrote:

That does work but what caught my eye was "This launches Windows Explorer with a list of all the server folders".I never?did this before, seeing the permissions from a Windows Explorer view with all the "server folders" listed.
    ?

No, this procedure does work, it is just poorly written. If step 3 were
    written as:

3. Right-click a server folder and then click Open the folder. This
    launches Windows Explorer with a list of all the server folders.

This opens Windows Explorer and the various server folders should appear in
    the left pane of Windows Explorer.

This is also poorly written. According to Microsoft technical writing
    guidelines the left pane is referred to as the console pane, or left pane
    while the right pane should be referred to as the right pane or details
    pane. And once again a preposition is missing, it should read as above,
    Right-click a server folder.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    You know it is going to be a bad day when you forget your new password.

• Marked as answer by DonCarlson Sunday, July 10, 2011 3:23 PM
    Sunday, July 10, 2011 6:11 AM
  • Thanks Paul,

"No, this procedure does work, it is just poorly written."

I see that now, followed what you were stating and was able to see permissions on the server folders, in the left pane.

--
    Don
    Sunday, July 10, 2011 2:58 PM