No phone numbers in the MOC client RRS feed

• Question

• I have deployed OCS 2007 and migrated all users to it but the MOC 2007 client does not show any phone numbers when you click "Call" from a user's context menu in the address book. I have been trying to troubleshoot this for days but cannot get it to work. I am sure I am missing something.

I have normalization rules in the Company_Phone_Number_Normalization_Rules.txt file and everytime I run 'abserver - syncnow' I know that normalization is taking place becasue I get an event id 21034 for some phone numbers could not be normalized which is expected for a small set of phone number listed in the Invalid_AD_Phone_Numbers.txt file but the rest of them should be getting normalized properly. I have also tested the phone numbers I am expecting to see in the MOC client with 'abserver -testphonenorm' and they show up fine in E164 format. I have removed and re-downloaded GalContacts.db several times but the numbers that I am expecting to see in the MOC address book still won't show up. What am I missing? Are there any troubleshooting tools to figure out what is going on?

I would appreciate any help on this.

Thanks,

AK

Thursday, November 20, 2008 3:33 PM

Answers

• I think I found the solution to my problem. Every time I run abserver-syncnow, it only creates a new .DABS file which I believe is the delta file but the full .LSABS file remains unchanged which suggested that the delta file contained attribute level changes such as normalized phone numbers which did not seem likely. Just to prove that, I deleted the .LSABS file along with the .DABS file and ran abserver -syncnow again. This time, a new .LSABS file was created and it was bigger than before. Next, I downloaded the new GalContacts.db file and sure enough, the phone numbers are right there. This validates my thought process that the address book generation process is faulty and you have to delete the full file to capture changes of this magnitude.

AK

Friday, November 21, 2008 5:24 AM

All replies

• Anupam,

Take a look at these blog articles if you haven't already:

http://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/schertz_jeff/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=17 

http://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/schertz_jeff/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=26

I'm also working on a third blog in that series to walk through steps of validating changes.  Are you running in RCC or EV mode with these users?

Thursday, November 20, 2008 3:47 PM
  • Hi Jeff,

I have already read through both of your blog entries and used whatever information was applicable in my case. I am currently enabled for EV and am trying to get this to work before I roll it out to other users.

I have work numbers that are entered in xxxxx format (can only begin with 2 through 8) in AD and the normalization rule I am using for it is ([2-8]\d{4}) with the result set to +$1. So, when I test out 55555, it yields +55555. I also have mobile numbers listed in AD in +1.ddd.ddd.dddd format which is already in E164 format and the generic normalization rule changes it to +1dddddddddd. I am testing this with several user accounts where these numbers are listed in AD. After I generate a new address book and download it for my MOC client, I don't see any numbers listed for these contacts. All I see is "Communicator Call". I am assuming that the above numbers are getting normalized but somehow not downloading in GalContacts.db.

AK

Thursday, November 20, 2008 4:05 PM
  • Are numbers not appearing an ALL or just SOME of your contacts?  Have you messed with the TelephonyMode registry setting at all on the clients (either locally or via GPO)?

Thursday, November 20, 2008 4:24 PM
  • I have not messed with any client side registry settings. I see no numbers at all from AD for any contacts. I have opened the GalContacts.DB file in notepad and from what I can discern, there are no numbers listed in that file.

Thursday, November 20, 2008 4:40 PM
  • I think I found the solution to my problem. Every time I run abserver-syncnow, it only creates a new .DABS file which I believe is the delta file but the full .LSABS file remains unchanged which suggested that the delta file contained attribute level changes such as normalized phone numbers which did not seem likely. Just to prove that, I deleted the .LSABS file along with the .DABS file and ran abserver -syncnow again. This time, a new .LSABS file was created and it was bigger than before. Next, I downloaded the new GalContacts.db file and sure enough, the phone numbers are right there. This validates my thought process that the address book generation process is faulty and you have to delete the full file to capture changes of this magnitude.

AK

Friday, November 21, 2008 5:24 AM
  • Anupam,

You shouldn't have to delete any files in order to capture changes as the delta files should have had all updates in them.  Sometimes you'll see warning messages that the original files where updated due to ABserver seeing many changes and creating delta files larger than the base files would be inefficient.  I suspect something was wrong (e.g. corrupted files?) with some of your AB files and recreating them solved the issue.

Friday, November 21, 2008 1:35 PM
  • It certainly appears to behave strangely in my case. I have tried this several times now and if I change a normalization rule, the delta file does not capture the changes. I have verified this by turning on the MOC side logging where I can see the old normalization based numers in the SIP INVITE requests. It is only after I delete all files and regenerate them that the new numbers start to show up and it starts to work correctly.

Saturday, November 22, 2008 6:19 AM
  • This was driving me crazy too.  All the numbers from AD were being normalized except for a few (went from 3000 invalid numbers to 100 after creating custom normalization rules for the address book service), deleting the GalContacts.db file after synching the address book and the numbers would not show. Deleting the old address book files did the trick.  I guess this is an OCS Address Book "feature".
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 9:49 PM