Setup Wizard Error after finniching Installing the WHS RRS feed

• Question

• After I’m finishing installing WHS, a Setup Wizard is starting and when I click the arrow (next) I get this Error message…

------

An error occurred in Windows Home Server.

Windows Home Server. Setup encountered an error.

Click back to retry. Or, click next to close the Setup Wizard and run setup again. To restart the Setup Wizard, reboot your home server.

If the problems continue, please contact Product Support.

------

I have done this several times, even re-installed the computer with no luck.

Can somebody please help me?

What is the Setup Wizard setting up? Can I do it manually that the Setup Wizard will do?
    Wednesday, May 16, 2007 7:38 AM

Answers

• I think I found out what the Setup Wizard is doing

1. Windows Home Server password page
    2. Help protect Windows Home Server automatically page
    3. Customer Experience Improvement Program page
    4. Windows Error Reporting page
    5. And Last - The Windows Home Server Setup is finished page

So I don’t think it’s too hard to take a Workaround the Setup Wizard welcome page. But the next problem is to shut down this page permanently every time I restart the server. Suggestion??
    Wednesday, May 16, 2007 8:45 AM

All replies

• I think I found out what the Setup Wizard is doing

1. Windows Home Server password page
    2. Help protect Windows Home Server automatically page
    3. Customer Experience Improvement Program page
    4. Windows Error Reporting page
    5. And Last - The Windows Home Server Setup is finished page

So I don’t think it’s too hard to take a Workaround the Setup Wizard welcome page. But the next problem is to shut down this page permanently every time I restart the server. Suggestion??
    Wednesday, May 16, 2007 8:45 AM
  • I am also having this problem - did you ever get a solution?

Thanks

Andy
    Sunday, August 26, 2007 12:33 PM
  •  Andrew Cole wrote:
    I am also having this problem - did you ever get a solution?

Thanks

Andy

Which version are you trying to install?  (CTP, RC1, RTM)  At what point do you get the message?

Sunday, August 26, 2007 1:58 PM
  • I am using the RTM (at least i think so as i just downloaded it from connect?)

It seems to install correctly apart from a dialog comes up saying "setup already running" towards the end when it says finishing setup.  I click ok on this and then setup continues.

The computer reboots and then i get a welcome screen with a forward and back arrow.  I click the next arrow and then i get the error as listed above.  I reboot but still get the error.

Thanks

Sunday, August 26, 2007 9:36 PM
  • The build on connect is NOT RTM. It is the RC release, and this error usually means that one of the Windows Home Server services is not running.

If you see this error again, can you please press Ctrl-Shift-Esc, go to the processes tab, and then force quit whsoobe.exe, and then open Computer Management, and look in Services, and make sure that anything Windows Home Server is started, or at least manual.
    Sunday, August 26, 2007 9:47 PM
  • RTM won't be available for download. You'll be able to buy the software in a system builder package, or you'll be able to buy an evaluation version for the cost of the media and shipping. If you just recently downloaded WHS, then you have RC1.
    Sunday, August 26, 2007 9:47 PM
  • thanks for the quick replies.

Ive just had a look at the services and there are 6 that are all started and all automatic.  Still have the same problem.

I can close the wizard and then go into the settings options - if i change them here does this mean i dont need the wizard? or does it do anything else to what is listed above?

Thanks

Andy
    Sunday, August 26, 2007 10:07 PM
  • You have to run the wizard. Try restarting the server, install the connector on a home computer, and run the OOBE wizard from there.
    Sunday, August 26, 2007 10:08 PM
  • Thats done it!

Thanks very mich for all of your help, very kind!

Sunday, August 26, 2007 11:28 PM
  • I'm having the same issue. When I try to instll the connector on another machine it cant find the server. Also, if I brows to the server it says "Service Unavailable."
    Tuesday, October 23, 2007 4:30 AM
  • Did you figure it out beetlejelly, I'm having the exact same problem.
    Tuesday, October 23, 2007 7:43 PM
  • Same problem here too.  I'm running OEM...  My setup is actually shutting itself down on me every couple hours because it says I'm violating the EULA by not configuring my setup as a domain controller.  I think all this happens through the Setup Wizard, but since that doesn't complete, there's not much I can do.  Also, the Connector Software is giving me an error too...same as beetlejelly.  Any thoughts?

Saturday, November 10, 2007 10:31 PM

• Could you explain what you mean by run it from there the console only allows WHS console operations without an add-on
    Friday, November 16, 2007 6:17 PM
  • I had the same problems and to solve these issues with succes I did the following:

killing sbscrexe.exe in order to stop SBS Core Services

- Tools you'll need – Process Explorer from www.sysInternals.com

As you probably know, you have a service called SBCore or "SBS Core Services", which executes the following process: C:\WINDOWS\system32\sbscrexe.exe

- Run Process Explorer, select the process and Suspend it, now we can start to disable the thing.

- Run RegEdit and expand the nodes until you reach the following hive / key:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SBCore

- Right click this, hit permissions and give the "Administrators" group on the local machine full access.

- Select the "Start" DWORD and change it from 2 to 4 – this basically sets the service to the "Disabled".

- Go back to process explorer, and kill the sbscrexe.exe process, if it doesn't restart –   congratulations!

Removing the welcome screen in case of error

Start > Run

Type: regedit and hit enter.

This opens the registry editor....

(Be careful you can ruin your system if you mess with things in the registry.)

Expand > HKEY Local Machine

Expand > Software

Expand > Microsoft

Expand > Windows

Expand > CurrentVersion

Click on > Run

In the right window you will see a bunch of registry keys. All of these things run at startup. One of the keys will end with whsoobe. Right-Click on this key and select 'Delete'. Reboot.

That’s it.... whsoobe will not start up anymore.

If installing the connector software fails

If the connector software is failing to install due to an unknown network error, just follow this advice.

Install the connector software and let it try to detect the server, and when it comes up with the error message, instead of clicking on Finish in order to proceed with uninstalling the Home Server Console,  reboot or reset the system.

Then run the home server console, enter password, wait and behold, it will find the server and everything is okay!

Greets and succes
    • Proposed as answer by HieroGLFX Saturday, December 27, 2008 8:07 AM
    Saturday, December 1, 2007 12:39 PM
  • I have the same error. I did reinstall the OEM version 3x on the same computer and still error. My NIC was connected to internet.
    Then I did the installation without the "dynamic update" - my server was not connected to internet and I didn’t receive any error.

Try to install the OEM version with disconnected network. It did it for me!

So there should be some error in the updates.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 7:10 PM
  • This fixed my problem as well. Thank you!
    Friday, December 14, 2007 5:05 AM
  •  host-away wrote:

Could you explain what you mean by run it from there the console only allows WHS console operations without an add-on

Did anyone ever find a way to run it from the WHS Console?  I'm having the same problem and I've installed several times but connecting to the router doesn't seem to affect the process since I have to install the NIC drivers after WHS is completed.  I have the system operating but can never run without keyboard and monitor.  I'm hoping that being able to run the original setup will solve this problem.  I'm using a copy of WHS that a friend ordered from Microsoft but never used.

I suppose the final question is whether or not the server will run with no keyboard, mouse and display if I ever get Setup to run?

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 1:30 PM
  •  

I did another reload and for some reason it worked just fine!  All it wanted was password, etc.

Thanks for the answer, I'll probably be back.

Ken

Sunday, December 30, 2007 4:49 PM
  •  I'm still having the same problem. Any other suggestions?

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 12:12 PM
  • How do you run whsoobe.exe /server from the connector console?

Thursday, January 17, 2008 12:09 PM
  •  

Same holds for me, I don't know how whsoobe.exe can be run on the server through the connector console on a client pc.

Thursday, January 17, 2008 3:12 PM
  • I'm having the same main issue.  Haven't tried all the troubleshooting solutions yet.  I have the OEM version bought from newegg.

Everything else about the install went fine  Sad
    Friday, January 25, 2008 1:56 PM
  •  

Yeah; I'm having the same issue here with mine. I killed the HomeServer Setup from loading at the login screen, and I also got the Connector software working on the remote computers. Everything else is working just fine, my only issue right now; is that everytime I try and log out; it logs the Administrator out; but then logs it back in automaticly... And I've set up a password on the admin account, it just logs me back in. It also does it when I reset the computer to; just auto logs me into the server as the admin.

I got the setup software (whsoobe.exe) to run from the connector console; using the addon that allows me to browse the desktop while remote connected; and finding the program in the Program Files folder and the only thing I was able to setup was the server name; which I did already... Everything else I had to do manualy...

Any ideas?

Thursday, April 3, 2008 2:19 AM
  • I had this problem as well.  What I ended up doing was building the homeserver disconnected from the network.  It finished properly.

After that I connected it back to the network and let the updates kick in.  Everything was fine after that.

When I built it connected it looks like it was downloading some updates that caused problems later on in the setup process.

Hope this is helps.
    Thursday, April 3, 2008 2:41 AM
  • The main issue is that after the 2003 server installation is complete it goes through and installs all of the WHS stuff to transform it from a windows 2003 server to the WHS.

When its going through and installing all of the small updates you get the "setup is already running" error - this seems to make it not install some critical part to make it a WHS. You can tell if your server installed properly by what your boot splash screen and logon window says - does it say win2k3 server? Or does it say WHS?

If it never completes this, then you get the whoosbe.exe file that won't complete the WHS setup part (because it still thinks its win2k3 i guess) and then you get the win2k3 things kicking in e.g. needs to be a domain controller etc and all of that nuciences.

I've yet to find a good valid fix to this - i don't know if its just a botched install script or something. I even tried to go through the WHS folder and manually install everything in there - but none of it seems to make a difference. I even tried to re-do the QS.exe to see if you can get it to reinstall the WHS stuff properly and it still errors out.
    • Proposed as answer by grambo1980 Saturday, December 13, 2008 9:13 PM
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 8:24 PM
  • grambo1980 said:

The main issue is that after the 2003 server installation is complete it goes through and installs all of the WHS stuff to transform it from a windows 2003 server to the WHS.

When its going through and installing all of the small updates you get the "setup is already running" error - this seems to make it not install some critical part to make it a WHS. You can tell if your server installed properly by what your boot splash screen and logon window says - does it say win2k3 server? Or does it say WHS?

If it never completes this, then you get the whoosbe.exe file that won't complete the WHS setup part (because it still thinks its win2k3 i guess) and then you get the win2k3 things kicking in e.g. needs to be a domain controller etc and all of that nuciences.

I've yet to find a good valid fix to this - i don't know if its just a botched install script or something. I even tried to go through the WHS folder and manually install everything in there - but none of it seems to make a difference. I even tried to re-do the QS.exe to see if you can get it to reinstall the WHS stuff properly and it still errors out.

And the fix for this is as the person above said. Unplug the network cable and the install worked fine. It must be something to do with that dynamic update that someone had mentioned above.
    • Proposed as answer by grambo1980 Saturday, December 13, 2008 9:14 PM
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 9:14 PM
  • Has anyone found a fix for this yet?

I've tried reinstalling the Operating System twice, tried the registry hack mentioned above (couldn't even complete it, "cannot edit : Error reading the value's contents").  I saw some people say to keep it disconnected from the internet. . . WHS doesnt recognize my LAN drivers so that's no help.  This is really bugging me out.  I just got my trial copy of WHS from MS and I really want to get into this.

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 1:13 PM
  • You're using the wrong cd key. It's trying to set up WHS and Server 2003 at the same time.
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 2:13 AM