IFD vs front-end/back-end and single server deployment CRM 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a broad question I can't seem to get answered anywhere I research.  We're a smaller company and looking to deploy a CRM 2011 server.  The requirements are that employees can connect to CRM externally without VPN connectivity.

We did have this all up and running for a brief period of time and it was working great.  But for some reason something has changed and externally we can no longer connect using the Outlook Plug-in, however can still hit the website just fine.

My underlying question is this, what is IFD used for and would it be necessary to accomplish what we are trying to accomplish.  Right now we have a pretty basic configuration.  Single server on our .local domain.  We have NAT rules and firewall rules to allow only 443 (we use a purchased wild-card cert for our domain) through our firewall to hit that server.  And we have external and internal DNS configured to hit the propper website associated with our company name, rather than our internal .local domain (there is a servername.domain.local A record of course still).

Basically the issue we're having now is with the Outlook Plugin as well as an iOS application that makes a connection in a similar fashion.  If we run the Dynamcis CRM 2011 for Outlook Config wizard and test the connection, it tests and finds the organization just fine.  When we hit OK though we get "There is a problem communicating with the Dynamics CRM server.  The server might be unavailable. Try again later.  If the problem persists, contact your system administrator."

Any insight as to why this may be failing now would be great.  Along with an explination of what IFD would be used for and would you use it in our case.

Thanks!

Monday, November 14, 2011 6:23 PM