Placed PNG - Need transparent background for image effects RRS feed

• Question

• This is more of a feature request... but I'm praying there is a solution in WLW 2009 somewhere that I don't see.

I have a blog that uses a background other than white. By default all the image effects have a background color of white rather than using a PNG-24 for true transparency. At the very least it would be nice to customize the background color if we're not gonna rock PNG-24s for IE6's sake.

So can we get either A) Creation of PNG-24 for image effects or B) Customizable colors for the background.

Lastly, You guys did a truly stellar job building this application... there is a great amount of detail in the work that you did that makes this application really shine. I appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Chris

Monday, February 2, 2009 5:56 PM

All replies

• We don't do transparent PNGs because of the IE6 thing and because of the file size.

Windows Live Writer tries to figure out your background color when you configure your blog, though if it fails it just sets it to white, which I am guessing happened in your case.

To override the color you can set the following registry key:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Live\Writer\Weblogs\<blog id>\HomepageOptions\postBodyBackgroundColor

The value must be an integer that can be parsed by Color.FromArgb:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/2zys7833.aspx

Let me know if you have a problem.

I'm glad you like Windows Live Writer. :)

Edit: fixed the registry path.

-Brandon Turner [MSFT]
    Monday, February 2, 2009 7:27 PM
  • We greatly improved the logic to do background color detection in WLW 2009. If you originally configured your blog under an earlier version of Writer, try just refreshing your theme (View | Refresh theme) to see if that picks up the background color automatically.

Two clarifications to Brandon's post:

In the registry key path, "Writer.old" should be "Writer".

Also note that "postBodyBackgroundColor" should be the name of a DWORD value under the "HomepageOptions" key. The case of the string "postBodyBackgroundColor" is important, i.e. not "PostBodyBackgroundColor".
    Monday, February 2, 2009 10:59 PM
  • I've got multiple valid wordpress themes that are not working with the 09 version of livewriter.  LiveWriter during the blog setup or update is showing the background image or color from the theme background as opposed to the background image or color from the content section of my themes. 

I would really like to find a solution for this for both myself and my clients that use WindowsLiveWriter, and sincerely hope that this is something that will eventually be fixed in an upgrade (didn't have this problem with version 12.x and prior, but don't know how or where to download legacy versions of WLW, nor how to roll back to get back to a functional version of the software.)

For the WLW team, I'm more than happy to send you copies of my themes, or help you in any way to look at the sites, set you up as an author in case you want to try and recreate this etc.  I've seen this problem on Vista and XP machines (32 bit both) so I do not think this is a OS issue.  I've also seen this on WP versions ranging from 2.2 -> 2.7.

Best Regards,
    Brett

aka brettbum
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 5:50 AM
  • Can you just point me to a few of the blogs so I can see what they look like?

-Brandon Turner [MSFT]
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 5:11 PM