"write delay failure" error RRS feed

  • Question

  • I frequently get this error messager when using SyncToy. When it appears, the external drive will disapear and SyncToy will give error messages for "file not found" for all files from that point on. A simple power-off and power-on of the drive reestablishes connections. But when commanded to start synch again it says there is nothing to do even though all the files it missed upon disconect are not there.

    There is no apparent trigger for the error message although it usually appears when acessing other drives (drives which are not involved with the synch). For example I have a D: drive (internal) selected to synch to T: (external) while acessing drive K: (internal). These are not partitions but physically different drives.

    I have 2 problems.
    1) How do I prevent the "write delay failure" error.
    2) How do I properly resume the synch task from where it stopped.

    Components are: external 500GB Seagate HD with coolmax enclosure using Firewire; Internal SATA drives; WinXP SP2.

    many thanks for any help!
    Tuesday, February 26, 2008 6:45 PM

All replies

  • Yep, similar experience here, too.  I've left my machine alone doing a large sync from external to internal and it will die in the middle.  No idea why.

    Monday, March 10, 2008 6:46 PM
  • I've managed to mitigate the problem. I can get a backup run to complete provided I follow a couple procedures. The key to get this to work is explained in the following KB article from Microsoft.


    Where it explains to put FFFFFFFF in the registry I actually put 0. This setting will alocate a certain amount of memory for certain operations. FFFFFFFF is the maximum value (which is not efficient) and zero will have XP calculate the optimal value. Mine was previously set at a fixed value (35 thousand something) which is also not optimal.

    By itself this change was not sufficient to avoid the error but I noticed that it got pushed back a bit. So now when I need to run SyncToy I close all processess that are unnecessary. Particularly processess which are HD heavy (anti-virus and Google Desktop in my case). And I don't run anything to avoid disk caching operations.

    With these measures I got it to work satisfactorily.
    Wednesday, March 12, 2008 1:32 PM