Visually connect posts RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

as soon as there are more than two people contributing to a thread, its not easy to track which post was in reply to which other post. It would be nice to have some visual indication, like eg. sorting threads into there logical order, or indenting replies under the original post, in a kind of tree view, or having a filter that only shows replies to a selected post...

Thanks...
    Saturday, October 18, 2008 5:42 AM

Answers

• hbarck:

In the main view of each forum, there is an option to select "List View" or "Threaded view." When you preview a thread when "Threaded view" is selected, the posts are indented to indicate the threading.

However, in my opinion, the feature is not very useful, because you have to drill down into the replies to follow the threading. The feature is also not available in the view of each individual thread.

IMHO, a much better scheme (which I have suggested before) would be to have a two-line header for each post, in which the first line would display the info of the post (as now) and the second line would have the info of the post being replied to. Two separate bviews would not be needed.

A secondary benefit of a two-line header would be to provide more vertical space at the right to include the full set of buttons (Quote, Vote, Mark, Propose, Edit) that are available in the single thread view.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    • Marked as answer by hbarck Saturday, October 18, 2008 12:34 PM
    Saturday, October 18, 2008 11:13 AM

All replies

• hbarck:

In the main view of each forum, there is an option to select "List View" or "Threaded view." When you preview a thread when "Threaded view" is selected, the posts are indented to indicate the threading.

However, in my opinion, the feature is not very useful, because you have to drill down into the replies to follow the threading. The feature is also not available in the view of each individual thread.

IMHO, a much better scheme (which I have suggested before) would be to have a two-line header for each post, in which the first line would display the info of the post (as now) and the second line would have the info of the post being replied to. Two separate bviews would not be needed.

A secondary benefit of a two-line header would be to provide more vertical space at the right to include the full set of buttons (Quote, Vote, Mark, Propose, Edit) that are available in the single thread view.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    • Marked as answer by hbarck Saturday, October 18, 2008 12:34 PM
    Saturday, October 18, 2008 11:13 AM
  • Hi

thanks for the hint about the threaded view. I was so much expecting to find this feature in the thread view that I didn't even look for it in the forum view. If it is already possible to display a thread this way, it should also be possible to do it in the thread view itself, shouldn't it?

A two line header would also be ok, as long as the thread is not to big, or if the second line is a local link that gets you back to the post referred to. However, the drilling down the replies could be avoided when you could jump directly to your last post from the My Threads page, instead of returning to the top of the thread. Or it would be conceivable to have one post "in focus", displaying only this post, its parent and its answers in full and the rest as headers...

Regards...

Saturday, October 18, 2008 12:34 PM