none
Unable to change language RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'm German, running IE 7 on German Windows Vista Ultimate.

When I first logged into the forums, I arrived at a German page. Using the  language selection in the top menu, I changed to United States (English). Now it seems to be impossible to change back to German (Deutschland - (Deutsch) in the menu). Whenever I select this menu item, the result is that the page is reloaded and appears again in United States (English).

Any ideas about that?

Thanks...
    Thursday, October 16, 2008 1:45 PM

Answers

• We haven't migrated over our non-English forums yet. That's why you got a fallback to English. In the next few months, you should see non-English forums oved to this platform.
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    • Marked as answer by hbarck Friday, October 24, 2008 6:09 AM
    Thursday, October 23, 2008 9:26 PM

All replies

•   Hi,

today I checked back, and it worked. Seems like the German localization is still work in progress, though... sorry for pushing. I didn't know that you were still working on it...
    Friday, October 17, 2008 7:35 AM
  • Yes, some of the strings in some of the languages are still being worked out, we plan to have updates in the next couple of months with more final localization.  What URL are you explaining in this particular scenario?
    Brent Serbus STO Forums Program Manager
    Thursday, October 23, 2008 5:30 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

my first experience was with the forums main page. When I try to change to German from there, there is an attempt to load a URL with de-DE in it, then (as I understand it from hindsight) probably a fallback to the English original takes place. The experience that triggered the second post was with the My Threads page, where I noticed that some labels were translated and others weren't, with a [loc] in front of them, which got me thinking that this was work in progress.

However, what I was originally looking for was not only a localized interface for the forums application, but a forum were the discussion might take place in German. Since localization might be of lesser interest to English mother tongue speakers, I thought I might find people interested in localization in a forum in another language.

Thanks for replying, anyway...

PS: Sorry, I hope the qualitative descriptions helps to find the pages I was talking about, even if I didn't give you the URLs...
    • Edited by hbarck Thursday, October 23, 2008 11:06 AM
    Thursday, October 23, 2008 11:04 AM
  • We haven't migrated over our non-English forums yet. That's why you got a fallback to English. In the next few months, you should see non-English forums oved to this platform.
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    • Marked as answer by hbarck Friday, October 24, 2008 6:09 AM
    Thursday, October 23, 2008 9:26 PM