False At Risk message RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have 3 PC's in my One Care Circle. 2 run Vista and one runs XP

The XP machine is in another state.

The 2 vista machines are in the same house and the same subnet and workgroup.

Only one is a Hub.

From time to time the Hub Status chenges to At Risk, because it think the other Vista machine need attention for the Firewall and Virus/spyware being turned off. This is a false error. The other machine has never been in such a status and is on the network for large parts of every day.

It will usually go away some time the same day w/o doing anything.

Is there a fix or cause?

Friday, January 11, 2008 2:35 PM

All replies

• There have been other reports of a false report of at risk on the hub, but I can't say that the cause of this has been identified conclusively. In some cases, a reinstall solved the problem.

OneCare updates the status of the PCs in the circle by each PC reporting its status to the server and the hub getting its status from the server. When the PCs are on the same LAN, as your two Vista machines are, the status is supposed to update immediately without even going to the server. For some reason, that seems to be getting mixed up in your case.

-steve

Friday, January 11, 2008 5:18 PM
  • Steve,

I may have a clue. These 2 Vista Machines are on the same lan. All was well this morning, when I started the Hub PC.

LAter, when the 2nd PC was booted, the HUB turned red with the dual warning for firewall AND antvirus.

Perhaps there is a problem that it reports a flase status during the boot process?

Quite sure that if I do nothing it will self corrct the Hub PC Status (but much later( hours, not a few minutes)

Turning the red item on remotely does not solve the problem.

But time will

- Bill

Saturday, January 12, 2008 1:17 PM
  • It certainly is possible that it reports status incorrectly, though I don't know why it should. I don't see this behavior on my Hubs with two different Circles. The status is correct within a minute when on the local LAN. You aren't the only one reporting this problem, though.

-steve

Sunday, January 13, 2008 8:59 PM
  • I just finished installing OneCare on 2 new laptops using my PC as the hub. Everything worked fine until I rebooted one of the laptops and now I have the same error report on the hub for the laptop that was rebooted. I did have some difficulty getting OneCare to load properly on the laptops also. Haven't a clue why this happened, but am holding out hope for a self fix or a fix from MicroSoft if need be.

Paul 

Saturday, January 26, 2008 4:28 PM
  • I too am getting false "At Risk Messages". I have 3 PC's - 2 XP nad 1 Vista. The hub is an XP and everytime the Vista boots I get a ARM. The Vista machine is on my LAN and when I physically check the status it shows green.

If I select "Turn On" from the XP Hub, it usually takes about 20 minutes before the Red goes to Green.

Sure would like to get a fix on this! 

Sunday, January 27, 2008 12:55 AM
  • Since it takes 20 minutes for the warning to clear, I suspect a 2 part problem. First, the false problem on the Vista machine shut down, and second that the PCs appear to be updating via the server instead of via the local network.

-steve

Monday, January 28, 2008 2:40 AM