data import templates are corrupt RRS feed

• Question

• I have been downloading and trying to open the data import templates and they all come up corrupt.

any ideas?

• Moved by Xiaopeng Wu Tuesday, March 8, 2011 9:27 PM Forum consolidation (From:CRM Online)
    Thursday, July 8, 2010 4:53 PM

Answers

All replies

• This appears to be a bug, can you open a support request?
    Thursday, July 8, 2010 5:44 PM
  • that's a great question.  this is the very first thing I tried to do in CRM.  Opening a trouble ticket will be the second.
    Friday, July 9, 2010 2:51 PM
  • I have tried both Leads, Contacts and Accounts and getting the same "The file is corrupt and cannot be opened."
    Saturday, July 10, 2010 3:08 AM
  • A work around-

1.  Save the template file to disk

2. Open Excel and Drag the file onto it

3. Make your additions to the file for import (make sure and include mandatory fields)

4. Import your file

This worked for me and the corrupt file or not compatible with Office 2003 were ignorable using this workaround.

Arne

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 3:29 PM
  • Oddly, that work around above worked for me once, but only once! Started getting the 'file is corrupt' messages again.

Another work around is:

1. Open the XML file in an XML editor

2. Remove the encoding attribute in the very first tag (encoding="utf-16")

3. Save the file and the open in Excel

This has worked for me with all the templates I've used so far.

Kirsten

Monday, December 13, 2010 10:33 AM
  • 1.      Right-Click the template file you downloaded from CRM Online and select Properties

2.    Under the General tab, click the Unblock button on the security setting: This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer.

Once you have applied the change then try to open the file again.... Hey presto!!!

• Proposed as answer by Smyrky Thursday, February 17, 2011 5:05 PM
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 5:05 PM