Drive partioning and restart requried - Message RRS feed

• Question

• When I tried to "Add A Drive" (a second drive) I get this message.

Drive partioning and restart requried

This drive does not seem to have a partition created. Please create a partition and then restart home server before trying to add the drive.

My question is how do I do this? Can I do this within WHS? I thought WHS was supposed to handle all this stuff on its own? I phycially have a 1 TB hard drive in the machine but WHS put the OS on the C drive with 20 Gigs and D drive has 911 Gigs on it.

I want to add a second identical drive (1 TB) in to backup the first drive.

What should I do?
    Monday, November 9, 2009 3:00 AM

Answers

• This is probably an OEM drive, with no partition pre-created by the drive manufacturer. Windows Home Server doesn't deal with this on it's own; the easiest thing to do is connect the drive temporarily to some other computer using e.g. a SATA-to-USB bridge device, and create a partition there. Then add the drive to your server.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, November 9, 2009 7:11 PM

All replies

• This is probably an OEM drive, with no partition pre-created by the drive manufacturer. Windows Home Server doesn't deal with this on it's own; the easiest thing to do is connect the drive temporarily to some other computer using e.g. a SATA-to-USB bridge device, and create a partition there. Then add the drive to your server.
    Monday, November 9, 2009 7:11 PM
  • Yes, its an OEM drive but I was hoping that WHS had the ability to partition its-self. Bummer that I have to jump through another hoop when I thought that WHS could take care of just adding a drive. I wonder why I have to partition it at all.
    Monday, November 9, 2009 9:28 PM
  • Oops, sorry I ment to say thanks for answering. It was nice of you to take the time to do so. Thanks again!
    Monday, November 9, 2009 9:29 PM
    I wonder why I have to partition it at all.
    Because the drive currently is completely raw and unpartitioned. 
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 5:10 PM
  • Sorry I wasn't clear. What I ment was that I wonder why there isn't a basic feature built into WHS that will easily prepare a new drive (even a new oem) by formating and partioning it so that it will be ready for use. Also, the message I received didn't say that it needed to be formatted (maybe thats a given) but only partitioned. If its smart enough to recognize that what it needs a nice feature would be to have the ability to take care of its problem. Just a thought. I only mean this in the spirit that it is a Home Server as opposed to a enterprise level system.

Again though its very nice of you Ken to be so patient and respond to my questions. I'm learning from reading several of your posts. Thanks so very, much!
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 6:28 PM
  • Hm,
    I never had problems to add an empty disk.
    But if there is a non Windows or non NTFS volume on the disk, you may run into the mentioned problems I could imagine.
    In this case try to follow the FAQ How to reinitialize a disk, which is not accepted for the storage pool
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 11:22 PM